Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: passing in the pyramid front game  (Read 3315 times)

toetyper

passing in the pyramid front game
« on: January 20, 2010, 11:41:50 AM »
tell me if this is right

if a  giver passes on an answer and then gets the other 6; the reciever can go back and guess  the passed answer but the giver cant help

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 11:50:15 AM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'234633\' date=\'Jan 20 2010, 11:41 AM\']if a  giver passes on an answer and then gets the other 6; the reciever can go back and guess  the passed answer but the giver cant help[/quote]
That's how Dick would explain it.  Every once in a while, you'd see a receiver come up with an answer a few seconds after the giver had passed, but I don't ever recall seeing somebody get all the remaining answers and then come back to come up with the one that was skipped.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Don Howard

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:58:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'234634\' date=\'Jan 20 2010, 11:50 AM\']Every once in a while, you'd see a receiver come up with an answer a few seconds after the giver had passed[/quote]
That was Ross Martin's strong suit one day.
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'234634\' date=\'Jan 20 2010, 11:50 AM\']I don't ever recall seeing somebody get all the remaining answers and then come back to come up with the one that was skipped.[/quote]
Neither do I. In fact, if there was still time left, my only recollection is that they ended the turn right then and there.
If my memory is in error, the correction is welcomed.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:02:00 PM by Don Howard »

toetyper

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:01:31 PM »
if the giver couldnt help wouldnt there be alot of dead air often?

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 12:18:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'234635\' date=\'Jan 20 2010, 11:58 AM\']Neither do I. In fact, if there was still time left, my only recollection is that they ended the turn right then and there.[/quote]
If memory serves, I think this scenario only was only played out in situations where one team had 21 points already, and the second team had to go seven for seven in their final category.
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

chad1m

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 12:54:30 PM »
My understanding (and I swear I've seen this before) was that they could come up with the other answer as long as there was another word in play. If all seven had been exhausted, the round would end. I've been trying to find video evidence on YouTube for the past half hour, but all the games I've come across never run into this situation.

Unrealtor

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 07:21:25 PM »
I can remember seeing this happen. I can't remember specifically what the rules were governing when it happened. It was pretty much a guarantee of several seconds of dead air.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

pyrfan

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 02:19:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'234634\' date=\'Jan 20 2010, 11:50 AM\'][quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'234633\' date=\'Jan 20 2010, 11:41 AM\']if a  giver passes on an answer and then gets the other 6; the reciever can go back and guess  the passed answer but the giver cant help[/quote]
That's how Dick would explain it.  Every once in a while, you'd see a receiver come up with an answer a few seconds after the giver had passed, but I don't ever recall seeing somebody get all the remaining answers and then come back to come up with the one that was skipped.
[/quote]
I saw it happen once, but there wasn't a delay between answers. For some reason, Nathan Cook's partner couldn't think of the word SUBWAY, so she told him to pass it. When they were on the last word, PORTFOLIO, they had gotten five of the six words so far. After Nathan gave his clue, the contestant responded, with no pause at all, "Portfolio. Subway." They got credit for 7 points, and Dick Clark even made some kind of remark about a "portfolio subway."

Brendan

Otm Shank

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 11:57:44 AM »
Later in the '80s run, I seem to remember a few instances of the clock running down to give the receiver the chance to call out the skipped answer. Usually, this meant about a fraction of a second between the last "ding" and the buzzer. Rare was the case that you had much time anyway, because of the idea that a passed word took too long. (Although in the NYC days, players seemed to immediately pass with some frequency.)

chad1m

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 02:37:07 AM »
Just to provide more insight on this issue: On today's $25,000 Pyramid rerun on GSN, Jackée Harry and her partner were rolling along nicely in her round. She saw the word "patch" and immediately passed. They kept chugging along and the finished the stream with six seconds on the clock. Once she got the seventh word, the clock just disappeared and no more time was allotted to figure out the missing word.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 02:37:25 AM by chad1m »

Fedya

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 07:29:34 AM »
Ah, GSN is back to the Jackée Harry week.  When it aired last time round (this was the first category in the first Monday front game), I got the distinct impression that Jackée was expecting to be able to come back to the word.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

TheLastResort

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 08:37:28 AM »
I always hated this rule, but I'm guessing it was out of necessity.  I imagine it would have been very difficult for the CGs/chyrons of that era to be able to skip around from page to page like that without a very talented operator.

rjaguar3

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 11:21:28 AM »
What about the problem where someone gives a passed word as a clue to a later word if they are allowed to come back and continue to describe or guess?

Bill Neuweiler

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 01:10:29 PM »
[quote name=\'rjaguar3\' post=\'235646\' date=\'Feb 10 2010, 11:21 AM\']What about the problem where someone gives a passed word as a clue to a later word if they are allowed to come back and continue to describe or guess?[/quote]

I think the cuckoo would ring out based on intent.  Say the passed word was "Subway".  If the clue giver says something along the lines of "the one I passed was 'Subway'" then  cue the bird.  But if the next word was "Underground" the clue giver could absolutely say "A subway runs......"   Its a little dicey but I think this ruling would stand.   Again this "come back and get the last word" only applied in the last round to go for the tie/win and the chances of this particular problem coming up are slim to none.

Now on the Davidson Pyramid, there was a small triangle that would appear to represent the last word in the list.  Did the skipped words re-appear after the seventh word on that version?
<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 01:18:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'234634\' date=\'Jan 20 2010, 11:50 AM\'][quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'234633\' date=\'Jan 20 2010, 11:41 AM\']if a  giver passes on an answer and then gets the other 6; the reciever can go back and guess  the passed answer but the giver cant help[/quote]
[/quote]

I have seen it happen once on the "$50,000 Pyramid" when Greg Morris went back and picked up the skipped one by himself in the last two seconds.