Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Perfect Showcase Winner book  (Read 4640 times)

SamPrainito

Perfect Showcase Winner book
« on: February 11, 2010, 10:17:55 PM »
http://perfectshowcasebid.com/

Gotta be a short book.  Isn't the story pretty much "I got the answer from Ted.  The end."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 10:19:51 PM »
Evil geniuses? Really? I've called the price-memorizers many things. Not evil.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:57:52 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'235740\' date=\'Feb 11 2010, 07:19 PM\']Evil geniuses? Really? I've called the price-memorizers many things. Not evil.[/quote]
What a 'bag. And he had his niece ghost-write it for him? Klassy.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 11:15:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'235743\' date=\'Feb 11 2010, 10:57 PM\']What a 'bag. And he had his niece ghost-write it for him? Klassy.[/quote]

Did you read those excerpts? If your niece was Edna Ferber or Willa Cather or Jacqueline Susann, wouldn't you ask for a little ghostwriting?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 11:21:48 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'235743\' date=\'Feb 11 2010, 07:57 PM\']What a 'bag. And he had his niece ghost-write it for him? Klassy.[/quote]I will absolutely call him a 'bag. $17.95 may be the actual retail price, but I wouldn't pay a quarter for it in the remainder bin.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 11:22:48 PM »
Good lord, you should spend some time at his family website.  Lotsa fun there too.  Even his dog is telling us to order the book.

/Slightly annoyed he has twice as many Emmys as I do.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 11:36:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'235750\' date=\'Feb 11 2010, 08:22 PM\']/Slightly annoyed he has twice as many Emmys as I do.[/quote]What other TV stuff do you do besides QB?
Travis L. Eberle

SamPrainito

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 11:43:51 PM »
It's one thing to cheat and get away with it, but to write a book bragging about it?

He's so far beyond douchebag it's not even funny.  I cast my vote for "douche nozzle"!

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 11:59:57 PM »
[quote name=\'SamPrainito\' post=\'235753\' date=\'Feb 11 2010, 11:43 PM\']It's one thing to cheat and get away with it, but to write a book bragging about it?

He's so far beyond douchebag it's not even funny.  I cast my vote for "douche nozzle"![/quote]

He didn't cheat any more than Michael Larson cheated — he (or more accurately, Ted) merely took advantage of the fact that all of the prizes in the showcase were ones that had been on the show before.

That said, yeah, he does seem to be quite an asshat IRL.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 12:17:14 AM »
[quote name=\'WilliamPorygon\' post=\'235755\' date=\'Feb 11 2010, 11:59 PM\']He didn't cheat any more than Michael Larson cheated[/quote]
Exactly.  It surprises me that some people do indeed use the word "cheated" to describe what he did.  Of course, one of the things that makes him so gosh darn annoying is that he takes the occasional "cheated" and turns it into "diabolical scheme perpetrated by a family of evil geniuses."

I've seen all I need to see of his writing style from his website, and I know it's not worth $17.95.  Still, I have to admit being curious now about how he explains what happened that fateful day, and whether, for example, the name "Ted" even appears in his book.

[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'235751\' date=\'Feb 11 2010, 11:36 PM\']What other TV stuff do you do besides QB?[/quote]
As far as broadcast goes, these days, that's about it.  Believe me, the thing about the Emmys was said in jest.  My QuizBusters Emmy (actually for the middle school show QB Jr) is a local Emmy, like his are.  Most regional chapters pass those things out like Skittles, and they're worth just about as much even though you pay some ridiculous entry fee to be considered.  I know a guy who won something like seven Emmys all for the same three-minute news feature.  WKAR doesn't even submit entries as a station anymore.  Admittedly, I'm happy to have one, it's a nice conversation piece.  But this is that conversation.  I certainly don't pose with mine.  

/I also don't say my dog wrote my website.
//Don't have a dog, and only a couple of my cats even know HTML.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:22:06 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 12:37:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'235756\' date=\'Feb 11 2010, 09:17 PM\']Believe me, the thing about the Emmys was said in jest.[/quote] I wasn't; I was very interested.

//Don't have a dog, and only a couple of my cats even know HTML.
This would be the point where you say that the other cats designed a Myspace page, indistinguishable from the litter box...

Still, I have to admit being curious now about how he explains what happened that fateful day, and whether, for example, the name "Ted" even appears in his book.
If what I've heard is correct, he happened to be in the right part of the line at the right time, and listened to the guy that knew the answers. Having just worked on several teams that were writing business proposals, I can see how Terry could expand on a single paragraph into a book.
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 12:49:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'235756\' date=\'Feb 12 2010, 12:17 AM\']Most regional chapters pass those things out like Skittles, and they're worth just about as much even though you pay some ridiculous entry fee to be considered.[/quote]Are you allowed to request a bag of Skittles in lieu of an award?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 12:54:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'235756\' date=\'Feb 11 2010, 09:17 PM\']"diabolical scheme perpetrated by a family of evil geniuses."[/quote]
Especially when one of those "evil geniuses" was the reason he pulled it off in the first place.
Still, I have to admit being curious now about how he explains what happened that fateful day, and whether, for example, the name "Ted" even appears in his book.
Fortunately, one of the "Barker is my Daddy!" types we have around here will buy it and answer those questions for us, so I can spend my eighteen bones on hookers and blow like I always do. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 07:39:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'235756\' date=\'Feb 12 2010, 12:17 AM\']Most regional chapters pass those things out like Skittles, and they're worth just about as much even though you pay some ridiculous entry fee to be considered.[/quote]
Reminds me of a joke I heard from a recent episode of American Dad. Stan has become addicted to crack (it's a Seth MacFarlane show, were you expecting Frasier*?), and tries to pawn the local Emmy of his neighbors, a local news team.

NEIGHBORS: Don't take that! It's...
(simultaneously)
NEIGHBOR 1: Priceless!
NEIGHBOR 2: Worthless!

*Not to say MacFarlane and Company haven't pulled off some witty good one-liners themselves...

/Funnier if you watch it instead of deal with my half-a$$ed write-up.

Oh, and back to the book...it reads like bad fan-fiction. The two pages did nothing to really compel me, or maybe it's just I don't find a story of a perfect showcase bidder* to be that compelling.

*Asterisk the same way Barry Bonds's * record-breaking home run ball was marked with one.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

colonial

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 09:31:25 AM »
At least SEVENTEEN chapters on this?!?  Telling the story of the perfect showcase would be worth the size of that "Famous Jewish Sports Legends" leaflet in the movie "Airplane!"

JD