Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "That **** Quiz Show"  (Read 1465 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
"That **** Quiz Show"
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:47:05 PM »
I ran a little Google search trying to find any more information on this short-lived show, and managed to find a newspaper article Google scanned in talking about the show's launch. Further looking uncovered a New York Magazine article that briefly mentioned the show, calling it "That Awful Quiz Show." One of the show's sample questions? Where are you most likely to contract syphilis? Rhode Island, Michigan, Florida or New Jersey?

Two other game pilots are mentioned, as well as the answer to that (perhaps not so) titillating question here.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

"That **** Quiz Show"
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 02:37:31 PM »
Two things that interested me about that article...

1) the use of the phrase "reality TV" as early as 1982, and
2) 41 half-hours* (1981-82 season) being considered a low point. With games considered popular again, there's roughly the same amount of half-hours on now (Wheel/J! is 10 per week, then double runs of the other five shows is 50, so 60 half-hours).

I think that's right. Too much math, my head hurts.

*I'm guessing that made for eight daily games (40 hrs.), and one weekly: a) Feud, b) Joker, c) Tic Tac d) Treasure Hunt e) Pitfall f) Super Pay Cards, g) Bullseye, h) Match Game, and one more that I can't recall. Or something like that...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:47:35 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

davemackey

"That **** Quiz Show"
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 03:11:32 PM »
That show was hosted by the Rice Brothers, a couple of short-statured guys who later branched out into the field of infomercials. I believe one of them died a few years back when he was hit by a car.