Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Host describing prizes  (Read 3935 times)

ActualRetailMike

Host describing prizes
« on: February 18, 2010, 09:32:26 PM »
In game shows, typically it's the announcer's job to describe the prizes.  This is done in one of two ways:  The announcer might identify the prize and then give a description, e.g., "A new car!!!"  <insert audience "ooohs"> "The Pontiac Bonneville, with custom headlamps and hubcaps....".  Other times, the host identifies the prize, then the announcer describes it, possibly with cueing from the host, e.g. on LMaD, Monty would show a prospective contestant a canister of coffee filters, "...and Jay Stewart will tell us about it."  The old school Newlywed Game did this as well, where Bob Eubanks would say "Your very own, brand new, washer and dryer!!" at which point Johnny Jacobs would expound.

But how often did it happen where the host himself described the prize in its entirety?

The only show I remember where this was routinely done was during the later years of NBC Concentration, where Bob Clayton himself would do the complete voice-over for the description of the Chevy Nova between games.  The Chevy was awarded to any contestant who called a double Wild Card, regardless of whether they won that particular game.  I think the descriptions of the prizes won "on the board" were done by Wayne Howell.

I also have a distant memory of an early-70s daytime Dating Game episode in which Jim Lange might have described the prize for the couple, which involved a trip on B.O.A.C. airlines (now part of British Airways).  I only remember that because I remembered a different gameshow announcing a prize trip on that same carrier, but they pronounced it "BO-ack", whereas Jim spelled it out.

tvrandywest

Host describing prizes
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:32:50 PM »
When does a host, rather than the announcer, describe a prize?

When the show is cheap!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Casey

Host describing prizes
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:41:20 PM »
It seems like you could usually tell when a zonk was coming on LMaD because that's when Monty would describe a prize or product, rather than Jay Stewart; when Stewart would be behind a curtain rather than at the mic.

SamJ93

Host describing prizes
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:47:50 AM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' post=\'236132\' date=\'Feb 18 2010, 10:41 PM\']It seems like you could usually tell when a zonk was coming on LMaD because that's when Monty would describe a prize or product, rather than Jay Stewart; when Stewart would be behind a curtain rather than at the mic.[/quote]

The 1975 documentary $DEAL$, in a behind-the-scenes look at the show, has one scene where Jay is describing a prize while the stagehands dress him for an upcoming zonk.  I guess by then, the show ran smoothly enough that they could make it a little less predictable that way.

[quote name=\'Randy West\']When the show is cheap![/quote]

Two cheap mid-90's game shows I can remember had no announcer at all--Quicksilver and Small Talk--which meant the host not only had to describe the prizes, but introduce themselves as well.  Pretty much the epitome of tackiness...
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Craig Karlberg

Host describing prizes
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:35:41 AM »
I remember Chuck Woolery described a Jaguar XJ-8(or something like that) on Greed whenever the players were given the option to either take the car or go on to see if the one remaining answer is right at the $1M levek I think.

Also, Howie Mandell often mentions "prize packages" as offers on DoNd during the primetime run like a trip to New York & be a cast member of a show or something like that.

BrandonFG

Host describing prizes
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:11:38 AM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' post=\'236155\' date=\'Feb 19 2010, 02:47 AM\']Two cheap mid-90's game shows I can remember had no announcer at all--Quicksilver and Small Talk--which meant the host not only had to describe the prizes, but introduce themselves as well.[/quote]
Free for All as well. It's been 15 years since I saw that or Quicksilver, and I know the hosts merely walked out at the beginning, but did they also describe the trip offered in the bonus round, or was there someone who actually read copy?

Pretty much the epitome of tackiness...
Agreed...it's a slight pet peeve of mine.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

jmangin

Host describing prizes
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 09:21:34 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'236165\' date=\'Feb 19 2010, 08:11 AM\']Free for All as well. It's been 15 years since I saw that or Quicksilver, and I know the hosts merely walked out at the beginning, but did they also describe the trip offered in the bonus round, or was there someone who actually read copy?[/quote]
Maestri also described the trip after stating the bonus game rules. I remember him ridiculously feigning surprise when he read the destination to somewhere cheap like Catalina or that dude ranch Nickelodeon always used.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 01:21:52 PM by jmangin »

tvrandywest

Host describing prizes
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 11:17:49 AM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'236166\' date=\'Feb 19 2010, 06:21 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'236165\' date=\'Feb 19 2010, 08:11 AM\']Free for All as well. It's been 15 years since I saw that or Quicksilver, and I know the hosts merely walked out at the beginning, but did they also describe the trip offered in the bonus round, or was there someone who actually read copy?[/quote]
Maestri also described the trip after stating the bonus game rules. I remember hi ridiculously feigning surprise when he read the destination to somewhere cheap like Catalina or that dude ranch Nickelodeon always used.
[/quote]
Memories... the sets for Quicksilver and Free For all were opposite each other on a stage at KTLA. The cameras would simply rotate 180 degrees on the tape days for the different shows. While the production was clearly, ummm, economical, they could be considered almost lavish by some cable standards these days.

Ron is alive and well, now in New York, after some time hosting at QVC and then a return to Las Vegas which was his hometown.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Robair

Host describing prizes
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 11:54:51 AM »
Uncle Bill used to do all the bonus copy on the original "Price Is Right". Why him and not Pardo?
--Robair

dale_grass

Host describing prizes
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 02:21:59 PM »
Family Feud.  ("That's a stretch," you say?  Why, Richard never said "a bunch of money."  He stated not only the currency, but also how much of it was waiting to be won.  Pretty descriptive to me.  Preeeee-tty descriptive...)

Casey Buck

Host describing prizes
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 09:07:28 PM »
On Super Pay Cards, Art James alternated with Mary Lou Basaraba on describing the promotional consideration prizes (see this clip).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:08:38 PM by Casey Buck »

joker316

Host describing prizes
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 03:23:36 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'236131\' date=\'Feb 18 2010, 10:32 PM\']
When does a host, rather than the announcer, describe a prize?

When the show is cheap!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]
Now come on Randy, The Cheap Show had Charlie O'Donnell!!

/and it's Wanda, Dick!
//that show ruled!!
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

Lirodon

Host describing prizes
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 05:00:30 PM »
Potentially UK SoTC based off this at least.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO OWN A MINK COAT ELISABETH? Although the open does have an announcer describing the prizes.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:02:59 PM by Lirodon »