Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy Scenario  (Read 4344 times)

Clay Zambo

Jeopardy Scenario
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 04:25:18 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'236533\' date=\'Feb 26 2010, 04:22 PM\']Was the football metaphor that byzantine?[/quote]

Apparently just byzantine enough.  I missed it, too.
czambo@mac.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Jeopardy Scenario
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 04:30:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'236534\' date=\'Feb 26 2010, 01:25 PM\']Apparently just byzantine enough.  I missed it, too.[/quote]In the future, I shall use the broadest humor so that everyone can understand the point.

(see, like that.)

Each person gets a challenge flag, or has a switch on their desk that functions as same. If you want to challenge something, you do (thing whatever) and at the next play stoppage, it is Dealt With. If you were correct, you get that power back. If not, well, you get to pound sand next time and hope someone else falls on the sword. Plus maybe some monetary thing to go along with. I didn't exactly draw it out on the back of an envelope or anything.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Matt Ottinger

Jeopardy Scenario
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 05:07:33 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'236535\' date=\'Feb 26 2010, 04:30 PM\']Each person gets a challenge flag, or has a switch on their desk that functions as same. If you want to challenge something, you do (thing whatever) and at the next play stoppage, it is Dealt With. If you were correct, you get that power back. If not, well, you get to pound sand next time and hope someone else falls on the sword. Plus maybe some monetary thing to go along with. I didn't exactly draw it out on the back of an envelope or anything.[/quote]
Since you sound at least somewhat serious, let me say that the way it's addressed on the show is that if you feel you need to challenge something, you can only do that during commercial breaks, or any other time that the producers have stopped play.  (Of course, chances are that if the producers have stopped play, it's probably to look up the very thing you were wondering about anyway.)  Daily Doubles don't count.  They've got a TV show to make, and they're making five of 'em that day.  They can't be stopping every time some would-be know-it-all thinks his memory is better than their research, or just wants to sandbag to ruin somebody else's rhythm.

/I also didn't get "red bean bag"
//"Red flag" I might have got
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:08:21 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Jeopardy Scenario
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 11:04:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'236536\' date=\'Feb 26 2010, 02:07 PM\']Since you sound at least somewhat serious,[/quote]I do treat threads like this with a measure of earnestness. The hypothetical question was how to treat a situation where you can't really retroactively undo a goof after-the-fact. I put out what I would do, and didn't really take into account anything other than that. Sure, there's a schedule to compete. And someone could be a total schmedrick and abuse the system, but I like the NFL/Pro Tennis way of handling challenges, so that's what I went with. Anyway, I'm at least a thousand miles removed from the studio and light-years away from being in a position to say "You should do things my way!" (And even that says that my way is better than what Jeopardy does now, which I don't believe.) But I played along with the hypothetical.

After all, Jeopardy! isn't a totalitarian regime, and it isn't ponies and ice cream. It is a fun quiz show run by humans who goof. Why don't we say "Wow, that episode was 100% error-free! Way to go, team!" because the group that puts on the show deserves it.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.