Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Drew's appointment  (Read 19701 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Drew's appointment
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2010, 03:30:41 PM »
It's not like there weren't any qualified candidates with tons of hosting experience out there.
I don't argue this point at all. Indeed, there were some other highly qualified individuals.
Among those who tried out were Doug Davidson (New Price '94), Mario Lopez (Masters of the Maze), Todd Newton (Whammy!), Marco Antonio Regil (Atinale al Precio aka Price en Español), Marc Summers (Double Dare), and Mark L. Walberg (Russian Roulette).

Hosting "Live!", you had Michael Burger (Match Game), Bob Goen (Wheel of Fortune), George Hamilton (The Family). Chris Harrison (Mall Masters), Roger Lodge (ESPN Trivial Pursuit), J.D. Roberto (Shop 'Til You Drop), David Ruprecht (Supermarket Sweep), Alan Thicke (Animal Crack-Ups), and Chuck Woolery (Wheel of Fortune).

Those who didn't really have any GS experience, but either tried out for CBS and/or hosted "Live!", include Dave Price (The Early Show), Mark Steines (Entertainment Tonight: Weekend/AOL Goldrush), and Jeff Trachta (The Bold & The Beautiful).

Sources: Wikipedia ("Price is Right Live"), Golden-Road.net (FAQ: "Price is Right Live")

(EDIT 3/30/10: Mark Kriski, a Los Angeles news personality who hosted the second pilot of New Price '94 {Davidson hosted the first}, also auditioned in 2007.)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:49:20 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

mmb5

Drew's appointment
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2010, 03:35:05 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'237295\' date=\'Mar 10 2010, 02:56 PM\'][quote name=\'RyanCDN\' post=\'237289\' date=\'Mar 10 2010, 01:53 PM\']I mean, you took a guy that hosted the show for over 30 years and replaced him with a newbie so to speak.[/quote]
Ralph Edwards hosted Truth or Consequences on radio/television for 17 years or so and was replaced with a newbie, Bob Barker. Obviously humor styles and entertainment in general today is not comparable to 1956, but I'd be curious to find out how devout fans of Truth or Consequences felt in the first two and a half years after Barker took over.

With this argument I'm not discounting my own personal opinion of Drew's performance which I really can only say is "inconsistent." Sometimes he's good, sometimes he's bad.
[/quote]
A few problems with the premise:
    [*]Bob didn't replace Ralph directly, Jack Bailey came in between.
    [*]The show was off TV for sometime, at the time, the show was only on radio.
    [*]When it was on TV, it was a once-a-week prime-time show.
    [*]Barker was the first daytime host.
    [*]Ralph was still doing the radio version for a bit after Barker started.
    [*]There was little if any fanfare when this started.  The daytime show was actually a stopgap because NBC's attempt to woo Don McNeill from ABC failed.
    [/list]
    --Mike
    « Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:38:00 PM by mmb5 »
    Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Neumms

Drew's appointment
    « Reply #62 on: March 10, 2010, 05:42:23 PM »
    [quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'237283\' date=\'Mar 10 2010, 12:04 PM\']Drew was touting "prize meetings" on his blog and all the wacky new ideas to eschew what he thought were less-than-desirable prizes (grandfather clocks being his #1 crusade, it seems). But it gave us a $10,000+ treehouse, a $6,000 toilet, and wall-to-wall flat screen TVs. Everybody's idea of what's cool to give away is going to be different. Why deny the people who actually could use a new room of furniture by making all the prizes the same?[/quote]

The thing is, the treehouse and the crazy toilet are surprising and interesting to the home viewer, which is what it's all about. Furniture can be interesting, too, but not if it's the same damn Broyhill dining room with four place-settings and a rug that it's been for 38 years. Bill Cullen's version asked them to bid on elephants, for heavens' sakes. If somebody can memorize the exact price of a showcase, that's not only problematic, it's a clue that perhaps some fresh air is in order. For all Drew's faults with memorization and pep, at least someone is freshening up the show.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
    Drew's appointment
    « Reply #63 on: March 10, 2010, 05:49:05 PM »
    [quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'237303\' date=\'Mar 10 2010, 02:42 PM\']it's a clue that perhaps some fresh air is in order.[/quote]
    For the production, or for the folks who have the prices memorized?

/was that out loud?
    Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
    http://fredsmythe.com
    Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
    Drew's appointment
    « Reply #64 on: March 10, 2010, 05:59:31 PM »
    [quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'237300\' date=\'Mar 10 2010, 03:30 PM\']Doug Davidson (New Price '94), Mario Lopez (Masters Of The Maze '95), Todd Newton (Whammy! aka Press Your Luck '02)[/quote]Just because they hosted a game show in the past doesn't mean they are capable of hosting Price.
    The thing is, the treehouse and the crazy toilet are surprising and interesting to the home viewer, which is what it's all about. Furniture can be interesting, too, but not if it's the same damn Broyhill dining room with four place-settings and a rug that it's been for 38 years.
    I think its a poor idea to features prizes such as this and the designer goods because the average American can't relate to them.  When they show, say, a barbecue grill, people say "Hey, I have one just like it!"  You reel out some Lorna Doone shoes and most people don't give a damn.
    --Mark
    Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Drew's appointment
    « Reply #65 on: March 10, 2010, 06:01:14 PM »
    Honestly, I haven't watched the show too often since Drew took over. Thing is, I didn't watch the show that often in Bob's final years either. The times I've been able to watch Drew's episodes, I enjoyed the fun, relaxed atmosphere, but was turned off by the cheering over everything (an unfortunate annoyance that seems to be on 90% of today's game shows). When I watched Bob's eps. I was turned off by the constant cheering and the fact that the show just felt stale (a problem going on since at least 2000). I will give Drew credit for making The Price is Right fun to watch again. The show has become creative again, although I'd rather never hear of a fried chicken showcase ever again. By the same token, I'm glad it's not "This showcase deals with things related to the word 'window'..."

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'237304\' date=\'Mar 10 2010, 05:49 PM\'][quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'237303\' date=\'Mar 10 2010, 02:42 PM\']it's a clue that perhaps some fresh air is in order.[/quote]
    For the production, or for the folks who have the prices memorized?
    [/quote]
    Hell, why not both?

/Yes, I know it was rhetorical.
    //Point still stands.
    "They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Sodboy13

Drew's appointment
    « Reply #66 on: March 10, 2010, 06:31:28 PM »
    [quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'237288\' date=\'Mar 10 2010, 12:34 PM\']3) There are prizes on the show I would have been quite content with winning that haven't been cash or cars.[/quote]

Show me one of those game room showcases with a pinball machine and an air hockey table, and I suddenly don't give much of a damn as to whether the other one has a car.
    « Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 06:31:41 PM by Sodboy13 »
    "Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
    Drew's appointment
    « Reply #67 on: March 10, 2010, 06:39:53 PM »
    I agree with the whole "Not all about the cash and cars" sentiment.  I know plenty of people who would want that Man Wall who wouldn't give a damn about sports OR television.

[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'237305\' date=\'Mar 10 2010, 05:59 PM\']You reel out some Lorna Doone shoes and most people don't give a damn.[/quote]
    But I bet they taste great.

/Obscure?
    This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
    Drew's appointment
    « Reply #68 on: March 10, 2010, 07:00:16 PM »
    [quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'237307\' date=\'Mar 10 2010, 03:31 PM\']Show me one of those game room showcases with a pinball machine and an air hockey table[/quote]
    You, sir, Get It. Next game of Medieval Madness is on me.
    [quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'237308\' date=\'Mar 10 2010, 03:39 PM\']/Obscure?[/quote]
    Well played, and delicious.
    Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
    http://fredsmythe.com
    Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
    Drew's appointment
    « Reply #69 on: March 10, 2010, 09:22:22 PM »
    Doug Davidson [...] Mario Lopez [...] Todd Newton
    Just because they hosted a game show in the past doesn't mean they are capable of hosting Price.
    All of those who I mentioned as having tried out for the show also host(ed) the "Live!" shows, which gives all of them credit. If they weren't capable of hosting Price, and otherwise having a good time with it, why would they be doing it at all? (This doesn't apply to Daniel Rosen.)

And I liked the (possible) subtext of your comment:
    Quote from: for shiggles
    Just because Doug Davidson hosted The Price Is Right in the past does not mean he is capable of hosting The Price Is Right.
    Ouch.
    « Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:53:23 AM by Dan88 »
    The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
    Drew's appointment
    « Reply #70 on: March 10, 2010, 09:31:07 PM »
    Drew just isn't that bad a guy for teh job

Don't you think TPIR deserves better than "isn't that bad"? TPTW* liked Mark L. Walberg. I think Todd Newton would be malleable -- he has the games and the format down slick, he just needs to "cheer down". I had also proposed a local L.A. talent but my suggestion fell on deaf ears and he was not considered.

*The Powers That Were

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
    Drew's appointment
    « Reply #71 on: March 10, 2010, 09:58:18 PM »
    [quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'237308\' date=\'Mar 10 2010, 03:39 PM\']I agree with the whole "Not all about the cash and cars" sentiment.  I know plenty of people who would want that Man Wall who wouldn't give a damn about sports OR television.[/quote]I agree with Messrs. Pries, Lemon and Mello, but here's the problem. All of those prizes are neat to look at, but when people aren't winning them, there's no point. When you have days that go oh-for-six whether due to moron contestants, producer trickery, or anything else, I quit caring.
    If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
    Drew's appointment
    « Reply #72 on: March 10, 2010, 11:24:31 PM »
    When did you see Bob dance with the contestant as the Cliff Hangers music played and Hans was plotting a career change? Or Bob celebrating with the contestant after a big win?
    Bob and dozens of other emcees knew when to give the spotlight to the contestant, when to step out of the way (Richard Dawson used to literally leave the stage). Drew's buffoonery and antics tell me he doesn't know that sometimes it's best to get out of the way and let the contestant shine. Or maybe the old buzzards have been doing it all wrong for the past six+ decades.

Drew does bring a different sensibility to the show, but I maintain it doesn't make up for his limited skills as an emcee.
    « Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 11:26:54 PM by chris319 »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
    Drew's appointment
    « Reply #73 on: March 10, 2010, 11:28:13 PM »
    [quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'237315\' date=\'Mar 10 2010, 09:31 PM\']Don't you think TPIR deserves better than "isn't that bad"?[/quote]
    There are very few things or people on this Earth that do not deserve better than their current state.
    This signature is currently under construction.

Sodboy13

Drew's appointment
    « Reply #74 on: March 11, 2010, 12:34:56 AM »
    [quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'237310\' date=\'Mar 10 2010, 06:00 PM\']You, sir, Get It. Next game of Medieval Madness is on me.[/quote]

Pinbot circuits activate.
    "Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation