Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Disappointing Dating Game experience fuels serial killer?  (Read 2368 times)

snowpeck

Disappointing Dating Game experience fuels serial killer?
« on: March 08, 2010, 07:55:34 PM »
That particular claim is a little far-fetched I think, but an interesting read nonetheless...

Convicted serial killer won on 'Dating Game'

Greg
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:00:17 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:03:28 PM »
My Thoughts: A List.

1) His crimes...I'm not even going to go into them. Very disturbing man.
2) This is Chuck Barris we're talking about, who supposedly went on CIA missions through this show.
3) Shouldn't they have found out this guy did what he did in 1968 before they taped this episode?
4) ...What's the higher/lower on somebody here saying "I have this episode" and/or "I taped it off of GSN"?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:04:20 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

GrandGame1440

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:16:16 PM »
Apparently someone had it on tape...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpy5AZsEnLg

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:39:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'237187\' date=\'Mar 8 2010, 09:03 PM\']2) This is Chuck Barris we're talking about, who supposedly went on CIA missions through this show.[/quote]

What in the heck does that have to do with this?

/"Barris of the CIA"... maybe that could be a hit for NBC.

calliaume

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 12:13:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'237187\' date=\'Mar 8 2010, 09:03 PM\']3) Shouldn't they have found out this guy did what he did in 1968 before they taped this episode?[/quote]
That was my first thought -- somebody didn't vet the contestants particularly well that day.

By 1978, The Dating Game was no longer under ABC Standards & Practices -- would that have made a difference in how the contestants were reviewed.  (The contestants in that version were definitely less inhibited, from what I remember.)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 12:19:01 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'237207\' date=\'Mar 9 2010, 12:13 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'237187\' date=\'Mar 8 2010, 09:03 PM\']3) Shouldn't they have found out this guy did what he did in 1968 before they taped this episode?[/quote]
That was my first thought -- somebody didn't vet the contestants particularly well that day.

By 1978, The Dating Game was no longer under ABC Standards & Practices -- would that have made a difference in how the contestants were reviewed.  (The contestants in that version were definitely less inhibited, from what I remember.)[/quote]
My gut feeling is that it was a simpler time, and for a frothy little lightweight game show, there probably wasn't a whole lot of emphasis put on criminal background checks.  Especially in the Barris organization.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

davemackey

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 12:37:13 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'237207\' date=\'Mar 9 2010, 12:13 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'237187\' date=\'Mar 8 2010, 09:03 PM\']3) Shouldn't they have found out this guy did what he did in 1968 before they taped this episode?[/quote]

By 1978, The Dating Game was no longer under ABC Standards & Practices -- would that have made a difference in how the contestants were reviewed.  (The contestants in that version were definitely less inhibited, from what I remember.)
[/quote]
At that time, syndicated shows were required to have a "network of record", meaning one of the three networks would be responsible for S&P compliance. By the time "The Gong Show" went exclusively into syndicated first-run (1978-1979 season), its network of record was ABC, as it aired on the ABC O&O's (hence the change in Johnny Jacobs' contestant spiel to "Employees of ABC and the production company..."). I would assume that given Barris' past relationships with ABC, that they would have been network of record for Dating and Newlywed, even though those shows were taped at KTLA (?) and aired mostly on independent market stations.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:37:26 PM by davemackey »