Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NYTimes "Artsbeat": Don Pardo, Live from NY, Still  (Read 3904 times)

irwinsjournal.com

NYTimes "Artsbeat": Don Pardo, Live from NY, Still
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:36:38 PM »
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/...-new-york-still

The cast members, writers and the overall quality of “Saturday Night Live” may change from season to season but one constant has remained mostly in place for 35 years.

There's an embedded clip of Jimmy Fallon from "Late Night" with Don.  Without spoiling, I wish I were the lucky member of the audience!
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

trainman

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:45:20 PM »
So Hulu's title on the clip is "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon: Dan Pardo Announces an..."

And the last line of the blog post is "(The Web site Who’s Voice Is That has more Don Pardo here.)"

Sigh.
trainman is a man of trains

Clay Zambo

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:10:01 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'236495\' date=\'Feb 25 2010, 11:45 PM\']And the last line of the blog post is "(The Web site Who’s Voice Is That has more Don Pardo here.)"[/quote]

No, it's cool.  That website is actually dedicated to the voiceover artistry of the residents of Whoville.  Cindy Lou Who has a whole page to herself.  Don Pardo must be a relative somewho... ;)
czambo@mac.com

GSFan

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'236495\' date=\'Feb 25 2010, 11:45 PM\']So Hulu's title on the clip is "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon: Dan Pardo Announces an..."

And the last line of the blog post is "(The Web site Who’s Voice Is That has more Don Pardo here.)"

Sigh.[/quote]

Oh, dear!  Someone forgot to use a spell checker.  I hope we can endure.  While the "Typo Police" are either on the job or out getting dOughnuts,  I'll use the word correctly.

Take a look at WHO'S (sic) VOICE IS THAT.  While you read that nice tribute to Mr. Pardo, see if you can spot WHOSE FACE IS THAT.  You're in for a treat.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Pardo.  I'm still hoping to hear you say my name.
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:45:08 PM »
[quote name=\'GSFan\' post=\'236517\' date=\'Feb 26 2010, 09:21 AM\']Oh, dear!  Someone forgot to use a spell checker.  I hope we can endure.  While the "Typo Police" are either on the job or out getting dOughnuts,  I'll use the word correctly.[/quote]
If someone doesn't care about how their words look, why should I care about what they say?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Matté

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 12:59:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'236518\' date=\'Feb 26 2010, 12:45 PM\'][quote name=\'GSFan\' post=\'236517\' date=\'Feb 26 2010, 09:21 AM\']Oh, dear!  Someone forgot to use a spell checker.  I hope we can endure.  While the "Typo Police" are either on the job or out getting dOughnuts,  I'll use the word correctly.[/quote]
If someone doesn't care about how their words look, why should I care about what they say?
[/quote]
And how does a spell checker flag a correctly spelled word? ("Who's" == "Who is" in some cases)

/And it's spelled DONUT!</EastCoast>

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 01:43:18 PM »
[quote name=\'GSFan\' post=\'236517\' date=\'Feb 26 2010, 12:21 PM\'][quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'236495\' date=\'Feb 25 2010, 11:45 PM\']So Hulu's title on the clip is "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon: Dan Pardo Announces an..."

Sigh.[/quote]

Oh, dear!  Someone forgot to use a spell checker.  I hope we can endure.  While the "Typo Police" are either on the job or out getting dOughnuts,  I'll use the word correctly.
[/quote]
As a member of the journalism industry who has written quite a few stories for my employer's website, I honestly take typos seriously, and am extremely OCD when it comes to articles I (or even some colleagues) have written for the site. A simple typo does reflect on the organization, whether it happens once or 100 times. Yes, the who's/whose spelling is a common mistake (just like it's vs. its), no, that doesn't make it right.

I'm also an assignment editor...I take enough oddball complaints as is. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

GSFan

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 02:16:44 PM »
Way to miss the point, all.  You guys can take the fun out of a snow day.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 02:22:27 PM »
[quote name=\'GSFan\' post=\'236523\' date=\'Feb 26 2010, 02:16 PM\']Way to miss the point, all.  You guys can take the fun out of a snow day.[/quote]And, quite frankly, you did a good job ignoring anything they printed.

I write NASCAR commentary and occasionally make a typo.  Sometimes, these make it by the editing staff.  This makes me look uneducated.  Similarly, I would expect that professional websites and organizations would want to come off looking professional as well.

Obviously, I make mistakes here as well as the poster below me has pointed out, but I don't expect to be referred to as a "professional" here.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:58:24 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 02:47:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'236524\' date=\'Feb 26 2010, 11:22 AM\']I write NASCAR commentary and do not enjoy the times I make a typo and it gets missed by the editing staff.  It makes me look uneducated.[/quote]
What?

I mean, seriously, what?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GSFan

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 02:49:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'236524\' date=\'Feb 26 2010, 02:22 PM\'][quote name=\'GSFan\' post=\'236523\' date=\'Feb 26 2010, 02:16 PM\']Way to miss the point, all.  You guys can take the fun out of a snow day.[/quote]And, quite frankly, you did a good job ignoring anything they printed.

[/quote]

Assuming, Modor, that you refer to past posts on this board, thank you.  I learned the hard way.

To get back on topic, I'll elaborate on this bit of fun I had on a snow day.  I took a look at WHOSE VOICE IS THAT, a very entertaining blog.  In the post about Mr. Pardo, the blogger included a clip from THE JONATHAN WINTERS SHOW.  It was the first time I'd seen it.  Recognizing the spokesman for Vicks Cough Drops was a pleasant surprise that made me laugh.  I wondered if this was the first time he and Don were on the same program.  It was made all the more fun by the fact that the blogger wrote nothing of the spokesman's identity.

Greetings from NY, a two-doughnut city on the East Coast. The REAL East Coast.

trainman

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 01:10:06 AM »
[quote name=\'GSFan\' post=\'236585\' date=\'Feb 28 2010, 11:49 AM\']I took a look at WHOSE VOICE IS THAT, a very entertaining blog.  In the post about Mr. Pardo, the blogger included a clip from THE JONATHAN WINTERS SHOW.[/quote]

Not quite as annoying to my copy-editing self as the misspellings I mentioned above...but quotation marks, italics, or even boldface would be far preferable to all-caps for setting off titles. (The ability to do so is one advantage that a message board has over, say, Twitter.)
trainman is a man of trains

GSFan

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 04:18:16 PM »
So, did anyone see the clip from the Jonathan Winters Show on the Whose Voice is That site?  The spokesperson for Vicks Cough Drops was Art Fleming.  Was that the first time he and Don Pardo were on the same program?