Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's My Line? fans  (Read 2015 times)

GrandGame1440

What's My Line? fans
« on: March 29, 2010, 05:43:20 PM »
I ask this on behalf of my grandmother, who knows I'm a game show fan.  She inquired about possibly obtaining her some WML? as it was her favorite when it was first airing.  I've scanned the trade lists for the show, but don't see too much of it listed.  I figured, if at all possible, someone here might have the episodes she is searching for.  Since I realize payment for something like this would be illegal, I would be glad to pay for shipping and handling to obtain these.  I know this post may very well be out of line, and if that is the case, I apologize.  Here is what she is mainly looking for.

- The first three shows

- Arlene's first show

- Bennett's first show

- Steve Allen's first show

- Fred Allen's first episode, last episode, and tribute

- Dorothy Kilgallen - last episode and tribute

- Lucille Ball appearances

- Judy Garland's appearance

- The last two shows

If anyone can assist, please contact me at jaldridge86@yahoo.com, I appreciate any help that can be provided.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:32:36 PM by GrandGame1440 »

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
What's My Line? fans
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:03:33 PM »
Does your grandmother know of the syndicated run (1968-75)? I have no episodes of the original, but I've scoured YouTube and my documents for the info you requested (no trouble :) )...

- The first three shows

- Arlene's first show
February 2, 9 (Arlene's first show), and 16. Not much exists of the first two-and-a-half years.

- Bennett's first show
Earliest appearance I know of is October 15, 1950.

- Steve Allen's first show
Earliest appearance I know of is March 4, 1951.

- Fred Allen's first episode, last episode, and tribute
First show was August 15, 1954, last was March 11, 1956. Tribute aired March 18, the day after his death.

- Dorothy Kilgallen - last episode and tribute
Former was November 7, 1965 (she was found dead 12 hours later), with the tribute on November 14. On that note, Dorothy as a Mystery Guest (February 5, 1961).

- Lucille Ball appearances
February 21, 1954; October 2, 1955 (with Desi Arnaz); January 1, 1961; March 7 and July 25, 1965 (the latter with Carol Channing and Ginger Rogers).

- Judy Garland's appearance
March 5, 1967.

- The last two shows
August 27 and September 3, 1967.

Also, the 25th-Anniversary Special from 1975...although the syndicated run isn't mentioned and only two clips are used from it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:08:42 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

GrandGame1440

What's My Line? fans
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:17:36 PM »
Dan88, I apprciate your cooperation.  Sadly, my grandmother does not have internet access.  If I could find someone with these on DVD, I'd be grateful.  I've tried corresponding with the inviduals who placed the clips onto YouTube awhile back, no replies thus far.  If possible, I'd like to give her the full episodes anyhow.  Again, thanks.

J.R.

What's My Line? fans
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 12:27:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'238503\' date=\'Mar 29 2010, 08:03 PM\']Does your grandmother know about the syndicated run (1968-75)? I have no episodes of the original, but I've searched YouTube and my documents for the info you wanted (no trouble! ;-)...[/quote]
Ever entertain the possibility that the OP's grandmother doesn't have a computer or knows how to work YouTube? (Or doesn't *want* to use YT to watch "WML?")

As for the rest of your post... Horan would be proud.
-Joe Raygor

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
What's My Line? fans
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:51:38 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'238522\' date=\'Mar 30 2010, 12:27 AM\']Ever entertain the possibility that the OP's grandmother doesn't have a computer or knows how to work YouTube? (Or doesn't *want* to use YT to watch "WML?")[/quote]

To be fair, maybe she does/can. We don't know.

EDIT: I missed the response and am stupid.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:35:39 PM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

GrandGame1440

What's My Line? fans
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 12:18:31 PM »
Actually she doesn't have access, so any help I could get would be great.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
What's My Line? fans
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 04:50:42 PM »
Some places you can find DVDs of the original series -- a much more meaningful post than my first. I should note that there's no "official" DVDs, although BCI planned to release a "Best of, Volume 1" on March 10, 2009 before folding (which also took down a planned Tattletales release).

Shokus Video has a DVD containing three episodes of the original Line (plus one of I've Got A Secret) with original commercials. The first two feature Lucille Ball as the Mystery Guest (the 1954-55 episodes I mentioned), while the third is from about a month before Fred Allen's last show and has Desi Arnaz on the panel. The Secret episode has Lucy on the panel and Desi as the celebrity guest.

You may also want to check on sites such as eBay, although not all sellers may be honest. Another site is Sell.com, which has several DVD sets of Line for sale -- a search on that site for the show turned up several 45-episode DVD sets. (I can't vouch for quality, although they're likely to be from GSN airings.)

(My Google search also turned up this since-retracted Sell listing for a 62-disc set of 544 episodes, nearly two-thirds of the original series' 876-show run!)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:03:52 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...