Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shop 'Til You Drop/Supermarket Sweep Memories  (Read 3223 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Shop 'Til You Drop/Supermarket Sweep Memories
« on: April 12, 2010, 07:13:49 PM »
Some weird memories of events that stuck in my mind over the years, both from bonus rounds. Both of these were probably during their PAX revivals, although I did watch both shows for a time in 1998.

SHOP 'TIL YOU DROP
There was a bonus round in which the running contestant hit the bell at such angles that the podium it was on rocked/wobbled noticeably. The round ended with the contestant hitting the bell, only to have the podium fall over and the bell crash on the floor (speed + angle = oops). I remember this because during the credits, Dee sat on the floor and "sobbingly" pressed the bell a few times (which amusingly still lit up and made the sound).

[I'm pretty certain this wasn't the only time this happened, but it's the only one that stuck in my head. I want to say that Dee was dressed in a safari outfit, but I'm not sure.]

SUPERMARKET SWEEP
There was a bonus round where the team grabbed the $5,000 (after finding the second and third clues) and started celebrating and running toward Ruprecht; only problem was, the sirens weren't blaring and David wasn't smiling. David then went through the (rather unenviable) task of having to both calm the team down and explain that they had in fact lost -- they had grabbed the $5,000 about half a second after time ran out.

[Like the STYD incident, I'm pretty certain this happened more than once. I'm pretty certain the team in this case was two women.]

Somebody please tell me my mind isn't playing tricks on me, and (if not) whether I can find these incidents online. Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:49:52 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Allstar87

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 07:58:39 PM »
Can't help you with STYD, but I clearly remember seeing the Supermarket Sweep incident. It happened sometime during the Lifetime run.

Neither one seems to be on YouTube, though.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:59:06 PM by Allstar87 »

byrd62

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:34:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'239337\' date=\'Apr 12 2010, 07:58 PM\']Can't help you with STYD, but I clearly remember seeing the Supermarket Sweep incident. It happened sometime during the Lifetime run.

Neither one seems to be on YouTube, though.[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRTzMqLfQfo [Supermarket Sweep epic miss]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:34:24 PM by byrd62 »

Allstar87

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:05:06 PM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' post=\'239340\' date=\'Apr 12 2010, 08:34 PM\']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRTzMqLfQfo [Supermarket Sweep epic miss][/quote]

I sit corrected.

Thanks. :)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 09:08:08 PM »
[Supermarket Sweep epic miss]
I thank you, sir. :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:11:24 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Loogaroo

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:33:38 PM »
The only STYD memory I have is an episode where the team was about $700 off in the bonus round with one box left, belonging to the art store. Pat Finn then went to the trouble of explaining that the store has a tendency to offer two different prizes: sculptures and craftwork that look nice but generally aren't worth much, and limited edition prints that are usually worth over a grand. That was the moment I realized, "Hey, maybe this guy isn't so bad. He's actually paying attention to the game."
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".