Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Coming up next on ALN...  (Read 5727 times)

WhammyPower

Coming up next on ALN...
« on: April 17, 2010, 04:01:58 PM »
For those of you with a decent cable lineup, ALN (American Life Network) is rerunning Merv Griffin's Crosswords at 4:30PM ET weekdays and 4PM Saturdays.

Sodboy13

Coming up next on ALN...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 06:17:34 PM »
There's nothing decent about that.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

dazztardly

Coming up next on ALN...
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 06:45:58 PM »
Always a treat to see reruns of game shows back on the air, despite the broken format.

-Dan

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Coming up next on ALN...
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'239638\' date=\'Apr 17 2010, 05:45 PM\']Always a treat to see reruns of game shows back on the air, despite the broken format.[/quote]Yeah, I was just thrilled when GSN re-aired All New 3's a Crowd a few years ago.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:57:02 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

CJBojangles

Coming up next on ALN...
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 06:57:59 PM »
I sure hope someone gets CS'01 back on the air.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Coming up next on ALN...
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 08:19:17 PM »
ALN (American Life Network) is rerunning Merv Griffin's Crosswords at 4:30PM ET weekdays and 4PM Saturdays.
...Why? Crosswords was a terrible, half-finished Merv Griffin concept that was thrust into tapings for 45 weeks of shows.

/Modor: I see what you did there
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:05:58 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Coming up next on ALN...
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 08:25:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'239644\' date=\'Apr 17 2010, 05:19 PM\']As such, this fact is rather disturbing[/quote]
You are welcome to toss your television out the window in protest.

Clips might show up on YouTube. Better toss the computer out after it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

rjaguar3

Coming up next on ALN...
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 09:02:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'239644\' date=\'Apr 17 2010, 07:19 PM\']much like how GSN continues to air Lingo in repeats despite its massive popularity warranting all-new episodes.

/Modor: I see what you did there.[/quote]

That's not new to GSN.  See also Nickelodeon and any of their game shows.

(I believe I read somewhere that Marc Summers once said that they cancelled Double Dare because they had so many episodes they could air in reruns forever.)

Fedya

Coming up next on ALN...
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 09:11:51 PM »
Sodboy 13 wrote:
As far as I know, everybody was fully clothed.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Coming up next on ALN...
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 01:01:36 PM »
You are welcome to toss your television out the window in protest.
Good thing I don't have cable, then. Crosswords is fine to watch (I myself taped about 20+ episodes), but did start to feel repetitive after a while -- not to mention doing the Never-Ending Format Shuffle three months in and inexplicably lacking returning champions.

Not to mention the Treadway 5000dollarsandatriptowhereEdd Ty Treadway, who never really developed a friendliness with the contestants. He always seemed so distant...and robotic.

Quote from: Dan88
much like how GSN continues to air Lingo in repeats despite its massive popularity warranting all-new episodes.
That's not new to GSN. See also Nickelodeon and any of their game shows.
Somewhat different, in that most of Nick's game shows haven't been seen in a good while -- ever since Nick GAS (aka "Viacom's Answer To GSN") got pulled off the airwaves, all the classics went with it.

(I believe I read somewhere that Marc Summers once said that they cancelled Double Dare because they had so many episodes they could air in reruns forever.)
That...'s not really a good reason to can a long-running and mega-popular show. If the ratings justify it, the budget holds up, and the staff agrees to come back for another season, there's really no reason to stop making new episodes. And, as far as I know, all of those things were still firmly in place in February 1993.

As far as I know, everybody was fully clothed.
HA!

/not being fully-clothed would justify not having a studio audience
//well, that and the host being a robot
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:35:18 AM by Dan88 »

BrandonFG

Coming up next on ALN...
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 01:21:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'239677\' date=\'Apr 18 2010, 01:01 PM\'][quote name=\'rjaguar3\' post=\'239647\' date=\'Apr 17 2010, 09:02 PM\'](I believe I read somewhere that Marc Summers once said that they cancelled Double Dare because they had so many episodes they could air in reruns forever.)[/quote]
That...'s not really a good reason to can a long-running and mega-popular show. If the ratings justify it, the budget holds up, and the staff agrees to come back for another season, there's really no reason to stop making new episodes. And, as far as I know, all of those things were still firmly in place in February 1993.
[/quote]
And if the production company decides they no longer want to do the show, they can very simply pull the plug. Unfair? Maybe, but it's their show, and if they wanna rerun it {"Squints"}For-ev-errrrr...for-ev-errrrr...for-ev-errrrr{"Squints"}, then that is their decision. Besides, who's to say some of the staff members weren't tired after almost seven years. Better to go out on top...

/That's what she said
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Coming up next on ALN...
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 03:47:32 PM »
And if the production company decides they no longer want to do the show, they can very simply pull the plug. Unfair? Maybe, but it's their show, and if they wanna rerun it {"Squints"}For-ev-errrrr...for-ev-errrrr...for-ev-errrrr{"Squints"}, then that is their decision. Besides, who's to say some of the staff members weren't tired after almost seven years.
Reminds me of the Angry Beavers finale "Bye Bye Beavers", which had the characters not only realize they were cartoons, but also that the show was being canned...at which point they proceeded to spend the remainder of their time mocking cartoons in general, the show's lack of publicity, Nick's policies on cartoons, and especially Nick's rerun policy.

(The "April Fool!" at the end was a "save our butts" precaution in case the show got renewed, so the staff could explain this episode away as a joke. Since there was no removal, the recording turned from jokingly mocking Nick into really mocking Nick.)

Better to go out on top...
That's what she sa...oh.

I see what you did there. :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:37:57 AM by Dan88 »

Bobby B.

Coming up next on ALN...
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 05:17:01 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'239679\' date=\'Apr 18 2010, 01:21 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'239677\' date=\'Apr 18 2010, 01:01 PM\'][quote name=\'rjaguar3\' post=\'239647\' date=\'Apr 17 2010, 09:02 PM\'](I believe I read somewhere that Marc Summers once said that they cancelled Double Dare because they had so many episodes they could air in reruns forever.)[/quote]
[/quote]
And if the production company decides they no longer want to do the show, they can very simply pull the plug. Unfair? Maybe, but it's their show, and if they wanna rerun it {"Squints"}For-ev-errrrr...for-ev-errrrr...for-ev-errrrr{"Squints"}, then that is their decision. Besides, who's to say some of the staff members weren't tired after almost seven years. Better to go out on top...

/That's what she said
[/quote]

Marc Summers said in his book (and interviews later) that he wanted to move on from the show several times, but every time he tried, they kept throwing more money at him.  He wanted to do more "serious" TV work.  I also got the vibe that his "reruns" comment meant that the whole cast and crew was tired of doing the show and all wanted to move on to other things.  If the show had gone on, I think there would have been a LOT of personnel changes for the next season.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Coming up next on ALN...
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 09:15:48 PM »
Odd. I thought the show was helping him with his OCD problem -- Marc was rather straight-laced at the beginning, but by the end he was actively jumping into pools of slime.

You'd think that a guy with OCD who hosts a show designed to make as much mess as possible for seven years would either make him A) retreat further into his shell (become even more obsessive-compulsive) or B) become stronger (less obsessive-compulsive). The latter is what I deduced when comparing 1986-88 shows with those from 1992-93, but it seems that what really happened was...neither.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:38:43 AM by Dan88 »

J.R.

Coming up next on ALN...
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 09:32:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'239698\' date=\'Apr 18 2010, 08:15 PM\']Odd. I thought the show was helping him with his OCD problem -- Marc was rather straight-laced at the beginning, but by the end he was actively jumping into pools of slime.[/quote]
Please stop guessing.
-Joe Raygor