Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A LMAD hypothetical.  (Read 2445 times)

Lirodon

A LMAD hypothetical.
« on: April 23, 2010, 10:50:53 AM »
Okay, today (not really spoiler material but meh) quite a few people passed on going for the Big Deal of the Day, which leaves me wondering, do they have any contingency plan in case none of the main winners elect to go on for it? Do they go down all the way to the people who got zonked, pick someone from the audience?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
A LMAD hypothetical.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 12:08:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Lirodon\' post=\'239871\' date=\'Apr 23 2010, 07:50 AM\']Do they go down all the way to the people who got zonked, pick someone from the audience?[/quote]
Yes, I believe this is how it works.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

A LMAD hypothetical.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 12:27:18 PM »
I saw this happen once when Monty was hosting the show.  They got all the way down to someone who was zonked to go for the Big Deal.  Monty seemed surprised because it didn't happen very often.

Not sure about the audience though...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TheGameShowGuy

A LMAD hypothetical.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:20:57 PM »
I too remember this happening on a Monty Hall nighttime syndicated episode. Even a woman who won some cash in the hundreds passed saying she needed the money. They went all the way down to a guy that got zonked with a donkey.  I guess you could "pass" and keep the zonk- or the trade off prize which Monty once said was a color TV... but why???!!!
Does anyone know if the current LMAD gives trade-off (consolation) prizes to zonkees?  I ask as Wayne often tells those about to get zonked that they can take cash or they may "leave with nothing".  In this day and age where "parting gifts" are becoming  rarer and rarer, it makes me wonder.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:21:34 PM by TheGameShowGuy »

BrandonFG

A LMAD hypothetical.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:13:29 PM »
[quote name=\'TheGameShowGuy\' post=\'239883\' date=\'Apr 23 2010, 01:20 PM\']Does anyone know if the current LMAD gives trade-off (consolation) prizes to zonkees?  I ask as Wayne often tells those about to get zonked that they can take cash or they may "leave with nothing".  In this day and age where "parting gifts" are becoming  rarer and rarer, it makes me wonder.[/quote]
What was the value of the consolation prizes? From Curt Alliaume's site...

Let’s Make a Deal gave away an estimated 10,000 zonks during its first run, but per network rules, those prizes had to be honored. Most contestants signed a certificate of forfeiture and received another prize in place of the giant lollipop Jay Stewart was sucking on. Depending on the value of the zonk, contestants could even receive a stereo or a television. (And who knows, maybe some of the contestants were happy to take home a Holstein cow.)
Being that Temptation was too cheap to even give the second- and third-place contestants the consolation money* like the 80s version, I'd be very surprised if LMaD would spring for consolation prizes worth 5-10 times as much. Come to think of it, Feud doesn't either. Hell, even Crosswords gave away the Croton watch!

/What's wrong Fremantle? The $100 extra per episode too much for your precious budget?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

That Don Guy

A LMAD hypothetical.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 09:20:01 PM »
[quote name=\'TheGameShowGuy\' post=\'239883\' date=\'Apr 23 2010, 01:20 PM\']What was the value of the consolation prizes? From Curt Alliaume's site...

Let’s Make a Deal gave away an estimated 10,000 zonks during its first run, but per network rules, those prizes had to be honored. Most contestants signed a certificate of forfeiture and received another prize in place of the giant lollipop Jay Stewart was sucking on. Depending on the value of the zonk, contestants could even receive a stereo or a television. (And who knows, maybe some of the contestants were happy to take home a Holstein cow.)
[/quote]
As I recall, at least one person did keep a cow/bull, mainly because it was worth somewhere around $4000 in the days of $3000 cars.  (They also gave away an oil drill - the kind that bobs up and down - but, fortunately for them, the contestant accepted a TV instead, as one of those things was worth about the price of a Cadillac.)

-- Don

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
A LMAD hypothetical.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 10:18:33 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'239899\' date=\'Apr 23 2010, 06:20 PM\'](They also gave away an oil drill - the kind that bobs up and down - but, fortunately for them, the contestant accepted a TV instead, as one of those things was worth about the price of a Cadillac.)[/quote]
It's only worth what you can sell it for.

(And likely cost them nothing to obtain.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

A LMAD hypothetical.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 01:45:05 PM »
I wonder if there's something buried in the rules of this version that gets them off the hook. It might be the reason that they put a big sign that says "zonk" next to the zonks, which seems extraneous otherwise.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
A LMAD hypothetical.
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 02:19:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'239965\' date=\'Apr 25 2010, 01:45 PM\']It might be the reason that they put a big sign that says "zonk" next to the zonks, which seems extraneous otherwise.[/quote]

That's pretty apt, I think. In this day and age, where TV seems to be saying "what standards & practices?" I doubt anybody's thinking of awarding the zonked anything.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck