Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cars of a Certain Vintage  (Read 2414 times)

The Pyramids

Cars of a Certain Vintage
« on: April 24, 2010, 09:49:14 AM »
How do you feel about these classic cars being given away on the 'Price Is Right'? For me I would much rather win a new car than an old  one regardless of its value.

Otm Shank

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 11:27:57 AM »
It's pretty exciting, I think, as long as it's not overused. However, it couldn't be used in a game where you would have to price the car, since it doesn't have a "retail" value. Prices on classic cars are too subjective.

tpirfan28

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 03:55:40 PM »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:02:57 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'239926\' date=\'Apr 24 2010, 03:55 PM\']Craig Ferguson's view on the matter.[/quote]
At least Craig has one of these.

Neumms

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 01:40:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Otm Shank\' post=\'239914\' date=\'Apr 24 2010, 10:27 AM\']It's pretty exciting, I think, as long as it's not overused. However, it couldn't be used in a game where you would have to price the car, since it doesn't have a "retail" value. Prices on classic cars are too subjective.[/quote]

Like trips aren't hard to bid on? As long as they tell you where the price came from, as with the "pricing authority" that Don Pardo would mention on Bill's version, I say they're a great addition to, say, a Showcase.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 02:56:02 PM »
I like it...a refreshing change from the norm. I know Wheel offered a couple of classic cars over the years as well.

Personally, I just got a car two years ago, and barring any catastrophe, don't intend on buying a new car for several years. However, if I had the money, I would definitely buy an old-school car, like the Corvette they offered last year or so.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jay Temple

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 05:52:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Otm Shank\' post=\'239914\' date=\'Apr 24 2010, 10:27 AM\']It's pretty exciting, I think, as long as it's not overused. However, it couldn't be used in a game where you would have to price the car, since it doesn't have a "retail" value. Prices on classic cars are too subjective.[/quote]
Agreed. They don't lend themselves well to price-related game play, but they make the show more entertaining.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 06:14:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'239964\' date=\'Apr 25 2010, 01:40 PM\'][quote name=\'Otm Shank\' post=\'239914\' date=\'Apr 24 2010, 10:27 AM\']It's pretty exciting, I think, as long as it's not overused. However, it couldn't be used in a game where you would have to price the car, since it doesn't have a "retail" value. Prices on classic cars are too subjective.[/quote]Like trips aren't hard to bid on? As long as they tell you where the price came from, as with the "pricing authority" that Don Pardo would mention on Bill's version, I say they're a great addition to, say, a Showcase.[/quote]
They really can't do that.  You can give good sources for the price of every facet of a trip, but a classic car's price is pretty much arbitrary.  There's no way they could ever offer one in any game that involves the car's price, and certainly not in the Showcase.

Otm Shank

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 08:50:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'239964\' date=\'Apr 25 2010, 01:40 PM\']Like trips aren't hard to bid on? As long as they tell you where the price came from, as with the "pricing authority" that Don Pardo would mention on Bill's version, I say they're a great addition to, say, a Showcase.[/quote]
Except that classic cars are priced on two factors: How much the seller is willing to part with the car and the amount someone is willing to pay. There is no authority, like a Blue Book value, on classic cars. Trips are hard to price, but they still have an objective retail value.

TimK2003

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 08:57:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'239978\' date=\'Apr 25 2010, 04:14 PM\'][quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'239964\' date=\'Apr 25 2010, 01:40 PM\'][quote name=\'Otm Shank\' post=\'239914\' date=\'Apr 24 2010, 10:27 AM\']It's pretty exciting, I think, as long as it's not overused. However, it couldn't be used in a game where you would have to price the car, since it doesn't have a "retail" value. Prices on classic cars are too subjective.[/quote]Like trips aren't hard to bid on? As long as they tell you where the price came from, as with the "pricing authority" that Don Pardo would mention on Bill's version, I say they're a great addition to, say, a Showcase.[/quote]
They really can't do that.  You can give good sources for the price of every facet of a trip, but a classic car's price is pretty much arbitrary.  There's no way they could ever offer one in any game that involves the car's price, and certainly not in the Showcase.
[/quote]

The other question is when it comes to paying taxes on a "restored" vehicle, how low can you go in claiming "fair market value" on the car?  Kelley Blue Book?  Or would the tax be compared to how some state DMV's base annual license fees on, by weight and/or by age of the car (while not being concerned about the condition or appearance of the car)? In Colorado, for example annual license fees and taxes would be the same for a 1978 Chevy Van that's restored and a 1978 Chevy Van that's driven year round and is in need of major work.

Depending on how it can be reported to the IRS, winning a $25K "restored" '66 Mustang may be a helluva better prize to win than a 2010 $25K MSRP Prius because there would be far less tax liability.  Or at least there is more of a gray area on a restored car's taxes than a new car taxes.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:58:02 PM by TimK2003 »