Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Drew Carey shot a primetime pilot for CBS  (Read 3876 times)

tvrandywest

The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Drew Carey shot a primetime pilot for CBS
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 11:44:14 AM »
I rate this a "meh."

/In before Droofus bashing
This signature is currently under construction.

dale_grass

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 03:58:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'239722\' date=\'Apr 19 2010, 10:44 AM\']/In before Droofus bashing[/quote]
Doesn't this constitute Droofus bashing?  Just wonderin'...

Mr. Game Show

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:22:16 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'239720\' date=\'Apr 19 2010, 11:38 AM\']http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...278202cd3e26e88

Randy
tvrandywest.com[/quote]

Hi Randy !

Thanks very much for the information. Can't say I'm excited about it, but it sounds like Drew is the right guy for the job. I wonder why they just dont bring back Candid Camera already, and be done with this dance :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 12:00:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Game Show\' post=\'239834\' date=\'Apr 22 2010, 07:22 AM\']I wonder why they just dont bring back Candid Camera already, and be done with this dance :)[/quote]
Because the last time they did it, it ended up slinking off to PAX because nobody watched it?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

inturnaround

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 11:44:36 PM »
If this pilot has anything going for it (unlike the name...good lord, what a bad name) it's that it's associated with Charlie Todd's Improv Everywhere group from New York. Todd is best known for starting the annual pantsless subway rides in NYC, the "freeze" at Grand Central Terminal where many people froze in their tracks for a minute or two, the fake U2 concert on a city roof and many other "scenes".

You can check them out here: http://improveverywhere.com/
Joe Coughlin     
Human

dale_grass

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 11:28:35 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' post=\'239867\' date=\'Apr 22 2010, 10:44 PM\']If this pilot has anything going for it (unlike the name...good lord, what a bad name) it's that it's associated with Charlie Todd's Improv Everywhere group from New York. Todd is best known for starting the annual pantsless subway rides in NYC, the "freeze" at Grand Central Terminal where many people froze in their tracks for a minute or two, the fake U2 concert on a city roof and many other "scenes".[/quote]
Ah yes, improv.  Falling onto the performing arts spectrum somewhere between mimes and interpretive dance.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 11:43:25 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' post=\'239867\' date=\'Apr 22 2010, 08:44 PM\']If this pilot has anything going for it (unlike the name...good lord, what a bad name) it's that it's associated with Charlie Todd's Improv Everywhere group from New York. Todd is best known for starting the annual pantsless subway rides in NYC, the "freeze" at Grand Central Terminal where many people froze in their tracks for a minute or two, the fake U2 concert on a city roof and many other "scenes".

You can check them out here: http://improveverywhere.com/[/quote]Coming this fall: Whiskey, Tango, Flash Mob.

[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'239873\' date=\'Apr 23 2010, 08:28 AM\']Ah yes, improv.  Falling onto the performing arts spectrum somewhere between mimes and interpretive dance.[/quote]That's uncalled for. Anyone can read a script, but improvisational comedy is difficult.
Travis L. Eberle

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 01:26:01 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'239905\' date=\'Apr 23 2010, 11:43 PM\'][quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'239873\' date=\'Apr 23 2010, 08:28 AM\']Ah yes, improv.  Falling onto the performing arts spectrum somewhere between mimes and interpretive dance.[/quote]That's uncalled for. Anyone can read a script, but improvisational comedy is difficult.[/quote]Agreed.  Besides, I consider flash mobs and stage improv to be two different things.  I'm thinking Mr. Grass is taking pot-shots at the former.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 01:26:50 AM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 01:30:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'239909\' date=\'Apr 23 2010, 10:26 PM\']Agreed.  Besides, I consider flash mobs and stage improv to be two different things.  I'm thinking Mr. Grass is taking pot-shots at the former.[/quote]I'm not terribly inclined to join crowds anyhow, and I guess I just don't see the point. Hooray, you got a farkton of people to meet at a street corner. Go you?
Travis L. Eberle

Fedya

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 09:27:38 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'239905\' date=\'Apr 23 2010, 11:43 PM\'][quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'239873\' date=\'Apr 23 2010, 08:28 AM\']Ah yes, improv.  Falling onto the performing arts spectrum somewhere between mimes and interpretive dance.[/quote]That's uncalled for. Anyone can read a script, but improvisational comedy is difficult.[/quote]
If "anyone" can read a script, you'd think voiceover would be much easier than it really is.  As somebody who did script-reading on an amateur level (news-reader at the college radio station ages ago), I have a lot of respect for the talent of Randy Westand the other VO/announcer types out there.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 09:28:06 AM by Fedya »
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

dale_grass

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 09:36:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'239909\' date=\'Apr 24 2010, 12:26 AM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'239905\' date=\'Apr 23 2010, 11:43 PM\'][quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'239873\' date=\'Apr 23 2010, 08:28 AM\']Ah yes, improv.  Falling onto the performing arts spectrum somewhere between mimes and interpretive dance.[/quote]That's uncalled for. Anyone can read a script, but improvisational comedy is difficult.[/quote]Agreed.  Besides, I consider flash mobs and stage improv to be two different things.  I'm thinking Mr. Grass is taking pot-shots at the former.
[/quote]
Poop!  Yes, I meant flash mobbing and the like.  Good improv is always fun to watch.  (Bad improv, OTOH, ...)  I lost count as to how many time I had tears in my eyes watching Who's Line (British and American versions).

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 12:33:48 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'239912\' date=\'Apr 24 2010, 06:36 AM\']Poop!  Yes, I meant flash mobbing and the like.  Good improv is always fun to watch.  (Bad improv, OTOH, ...)  I lost count as to how many time I had tears in my eyes watching Who's Line (British and American versions).[/quote]Good man. :)
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 02:00:21 PM »
Yeah, if anything, the guy is disingenuous in calling what he does "improv". What's "improv" about spending two weeks planning and getting out the word that at precisely 4:45 P.M. on Saturday, April 12, everyone is going to run into *this* Gap store and do the M.C. Hammer dance?

That's not even remotely close to "improv."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe