Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A staging question  (Read 2012 times)

Clay Zambo

A staging question
« on: April 25, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
Say what you will about Drew's performance or any specific design element, we're pretty much in agreement that The Price is Right is more creatively staged lately than it had been for quite a while.  But Friday's show--the Showcase, specifically--had me wondering "How'd they do that?"  Or, at least, why?

Since it was Friday's show, I don't think we need Spoiler Space, but better safe than sorry.

Showcase 1 consisted of living room furniture, a TV armoire and flat-panel TV, and a Camaro.  The car was displayed behind door 3, the other prizes on the stage floor behind a big drop.

So, during Showcase 1, I thought, "Okay, where's Showcase 2 gonna be?"  Then it was revealed--three trips, displayed on monitors behind door 2.  No problem there; a camera could easily have shot between the two furniture platforms; or even rolled between the two to get closer.  Pretty clever, I thought.

Then came the final reveal; the runner-up won her trips.  And, as she dashed over to see her prizes, she had a clear shot across the stage.  No furniture in sight.

That's the "How'd They Do That?" part.  Not "how," really, but When?  Were both showcases onstage and was a stopdown taken to get the furniture offstage?    Or was the furniture already gone before Showcase 2 was revealed--in which case, what're they gonna do if it was won?

Just wondering.
czambo@mac.com

Jeremy Nelson

A staging question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 03:51:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'239970\' date=\'Apr 25 2010, 02:05 PM\']Say what you will about Drew's performance or any specific design element, we're pretty much in agreement that The Price is Right is more creatively staged lately than it had been for quite a while.  But Friday's show--the Showcase, specifically--had me wondering "How'd they do that?"  Or, at least, why?

Since it was Friday's show, I don't think we need Spoiler Space, but better safe than sorry.

Showcase 1 consisted of living room furniture, a TV armoire and flat-panel TV, and a Camaro.  The car was displayed behind door 3, the other prizes on the stage floor behind a big drop.

So, during Showcase 1, I thought, "Okay, where's Showcase 2 gonna be?"  Then it was revealed--three trips, displayed on monitors behind door 2.  No problem there; a camera could easily have shot between the two furniture platforms; or even rolled between the two to get closer.  Pretty clever, I thought.

Then came the final reveal; the runner-up won her trips.  And, as she dashed over to see her prizes, she had a clear shot across the stage.  No furniture in sight.

That's the "How'd They Do That?" part.  Not "how," really, but When?  Were both showcases onstage and was a stopdown taken to get the furniture offstage?    Or was the furniture already gone before Showcase 2 was revealed--in which case, what're they gonna do if it was won?

Just wondering.[/quote]
What I'm thinking is that right after the bids, they knew who was gonna win anyways. Nevertheless, they probably closed all the doors and had the furniture just offstage....should Showcase 1 have won, they would have wheeled it on in the 15 seconds or so after the winner is revealed...plenty of time, especially since it's all on wheels anyways.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Unrealtor

A staging question
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 04:56:41 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'239972\' date=\'Apr 25 2010, 02:51 PM\'][quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'239970\' date=\'Apr 25 2010, 02:05 PM\']Say what you will about Drew's performance or any specific design element, we're pretty much in agreement that The Price is Right is more creatively staged lately than it had been for quite a while.  But Friday's show--the Showcase, specifically--had me wondering "How'd they do that?"  Or, at least, why?

Just wondering.[/quote]
What I'm thinking is that right after the bids, they knew who was gonna win anyways. Nevertheless, they probably closed all the doors and had the furniture just offstage....should Showcase 1 have won, they would have wheeled it on in the 15 seconds or so after the winner is revealed...plenty of time, especially since it's all on wheels anyways.
[/quote]

ISTR that there's frequently a stopdown between showcases, and I'm 100% sure that I've seen prizes that were presented in front of the doors moved behind them for the mill about during the credits, which is where I assume they were/would appear for something like this.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Steve Gavazzi

A staging question
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 06:11:23 PM »
I don't know what exactly was done on this episode, but there's always at least a brief stopdown during the commercial so Bob/Drew can find out which price to reveal first and whether there was a double showcase win.  That gives them plenty of time to do any restaging that needs to be done.

Clay Zambo

A staging question
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 07:45:34 PM »
Sure, I figure there's that brief stopdown.  But wouldn't player 1 know she'd lost if all of a sudden the crew started wheeling her prize offstage...
czambo@mac.com

Jeremy Nelson

A staging question
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 08:54:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'239980\' date=\'Apr 25 2010, 06:45 PM\']Sure, I figure there's that brief stopdown.  But wouldn't player 1 know she'd lost if all of a sudden the crew started wheeling her prize offstage...[/quote]

That's why I think they wheel everything off and close the doors before the Showcase price reveal...cause I have seen them open the doors to reveal the winner's prizes right before the walkabout.

In Friday's case, maybe they put the prices behind Door#1 if they were won.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Mr. Armadillo

A staging question
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 10:16:10 AM »
Maybe they would have said 'Screw the other prizes, we'll just have her run to the car'?  

That's all 95% of the people watching would have cared about in the first place.

Steve Gavazzi

A staging question
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 05:32:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'239980\' date=\'Apr 25 2010, 07:45 PM\']Sure, I figure there's that brief stopdown.  But wouldn't player 1 know she'd lost if all of a sudden the crew started wheeling her prize offstage...[/quote]
The Race Game Curtain is always lowered during commercials.  Somebody on the Turntable wouldn't know what was going on on the stage.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 05:33:13 PM by Steve Gavazzi »