Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Price is right to have a 7 week taping break while Drew enjoys soccer  (Read 8432 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
[quote name=\'abba\' post=\'240193\' date=\'May 2 2010, 09:09 AM\']http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,14642.0.html[/quote]
Damn it, I was planning on bringing my brother to the show soon! When does this break start?
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'240196\' date=\'May 2 2010, 10:35 AM\']Damn it, I was planning on bringing my brother to the show soon! When does this break start?[/quote]
I don't know exactly, but World Cup is June 11-July 11.  Add some time before and after and you should get a decent guess to start and end.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:40:01 AM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

Fedya

How much of a break does the show normally take between taping the last episode of one season and the first episode of the next season?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'240203\' date=\'May 2 2010, 12:37 PM\']How much of a break does the show normally take between taping the last episode of one season and the first episode of the next season?[/quote]
One thing to keep in mind--they don't necessarily tape in order.  I do believe a couple of season premiere weeks were taped after episodes that were already in the can for the next season.  (I think it happened during Barker's last year, too, but I'm not totally sure about that.)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
One thing to keep in mind--they don't necessarily tape in order. I do believe a couple of season premiere weeks were taped after episodes that were already in the can for the next season.
A good example of that is Season 20 -- the Season Premiere week was taped in July 1991, but the following 2-3 weeks were taped in May. The first of these weeks featured the first taped appearances of Swap Meet and the second-generation Money Game board.

Also, to a lesser extent -- the 1986 Specials, which introduced a plethora of changes (including the second-generation Any Number board), were taped after the first 21 episodes of Season 15. The last episode taped prior to the Specials was the October 6 show, aka "Shell Game Debra".
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:02:44 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

NickS

[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'240215\' date=\'May 2 2010, 03:16 PM\']A good example of that is Season 20 -- the Season Premiere week was taped in July 1991, but the following 2-3 weeks were taped in May. The first of these weeks featured the first taped appearances of Swap Meet and the second-generation Money Game board.

Also, to a lesser extent -- the 1986 Specials, which introduced a plethora of changes (including the second-generation Any Number board), were taped after the first 21 episodes of Season 15. The last episode taped prior to the Specials? October 6, aka "Shell Game Debra".[/quote]

Source?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'240215\' date=\'May 2 2010, 03:16 PM\']October 6, aka "Shell Game Debra".[/quote]Who?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tpirfan28

[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'240227\' date=\'May 2 2010, 07:46 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'240215\' date=\'May 2 2010, 03:16 PM\']October 6, aka "Shell Game Debra".[/quote]Who?
[/quote]
The gal who "cheated" at Shell Game.  I guess.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Fedya

[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'240206\' date=\'May 2 2010, 02:56 PM\'][quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'240203\' date=\'May 2 2010, 12:37 PM\']How much of a break does the show normally take between taping the last episode of one season and the first episode of the next season?[/quote]
One thing to keep in mind--they don't necessarily tape in order. [/quote]
Then let me rephrase the question: How much of a break is there between the last taping session for one season and the first session for another season?  Or are you saying that they start taping the next season's episodes before they finish the previous season's?

Either way, since they only tape ~39 weeks worth of episodes, I'd think it's normal to have a substantial taping break at some point of the year.  (Although I'd also think the summer tourist season wouldn't be the best time for a taping break.)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

ClockGameJohn

Price is right to have a 7 week taping break while Drew enjoys soccer
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 10:19:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'240233\' date=\'May 2 2010, 09:23 PM\']Either way, since they only tape ~39 weeks worth of episodes, I'd think it's normal to have a substantial taping break at some point of the year.  (Although I'd also think the summer tourist season wouldn't be the best time for a taping break.)[/quote]

While it was normal practice to have a 3-4 week long summer vacation break, the taping weeks were scheduled with a full week off roughly every month.  None of the staff had to work on days when they weren't taping, unless there was something they needed to catch up on.  

So, in essence, when the show was down, the staff was off.  This is no longer the case.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 11:00:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'240233\' date=\'May 2 2010, 08:23 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'240206\' date=\'May 2 2010, 02:56 PM\'][quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'240203\' date=\'May 2 2010, 12:37 PM\']How much of a break does the show normally take between taping the last episode of one season and the first episode of the next season?[/quote]
One thing to keep in mind--they don't necessarily tape in order. [/quote]
Then let me rephrase the question: How much of a break is there between the last taping session for one season and the first session for another season?  Or are you saying that they start taping the next season's episodes before they finish the previous season's?
[/quote]
That's a possibility, although I don't know whether that's actually happened.

In 2004, I attended the taping of the fourth show of season 33.  The finale of season 32 had only taped the previous week.  That was one time when they did tape in order, but there was no break (unless you count a few days as a break).

And I've seen cases where they held the taping of the season premiere week until August, but had already taped episodes for the new season in July.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 09:27:13 AM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'240225\' date=\'May 2 2010, 04:29 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'240215\' date=\'May 2 2010, 03:16 PM\']A good example of that is Season 20 -- the Season Premiere week was taped in July 1991, but the following 2-3 weeks were taped in May".[/quote]Source?[/quote]I can personally verify this part, because I attended tapings in May '91 with scheduled airdates in October (one on my birthday, the 8th,) that included what someone (Rod? Barker?) told us would be the first actual play of Swap Meet, although the game was to debut during the season premiere week.
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 12:06:45 PM »
You wouldn't happen to recall the specific taping days, do you? I happen to have the S20 Premiere and 9/17/91, which is how I knew the discrepancy (and why I brought it up).

The gal who "cheated" at Shell Game. I guess.
That's her (not sure if it's "Debra" or "Deborah", though; I've seen both used in tape collections). A cut-down version of it was shown in Game Show Moments Gone Bananas, which surprised me since I had more or less forgotten the clip from Tony's site.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:04:41 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 08:57:32 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'240225\' date=\'May 2 2010, 07:29 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'240215\' date=\'May 2 2010, 03:16 PM\']A good example of that is Season 20 -- the Season Premiere week was taped in July 1991, but the following 2-3 weeks were taped in May. The first of these weeks featured the first taped appearances of Swap Meet and the second-generation Money Game board.

Also, to a lesser extent -- the 1986 Specials, which introduced a plethora of changes (including the second-generation Any Number board), were taped after the first 21 episodes of Season 15. The last episode taped prior to the Specials? October 6, aka "Shell Game Debra".[/quote]Source?[/quote]
I've seen the show's tape schedule for the fall '86 episodes, and I can verify that the Specials were taped between the October 6 and October 7 programs.

[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'240233\' date=\'May 2 2010, 09:23 PM\']Then let me rephrase the question: How much of a break is there between the last taping session for one season and the first session for another season?  Or are you saying that they start taping the next season's episodes before they finish the previous season's?[/quote]
I don't think this was normal, and I can't even remember why they did it now, but in the summer of 2006, there was a plan to repaint the Big Doors for Season 35, tape the second week of the season, paint the Season 31-34 patterns back on, tape the Season 34 finale, and then paint the Season 35 pattern again and go forward from there.  Some kind of conflict came up with the schedule, though, and it ended up not happening.

So yeah...hardly normal, but not unheard of.

EDIT:  Actually, maybe they were going to tape the sixth and seventh shows on Monday, do the 34 finale on Tuesday, and then pick 35 back up on Wednesday.  That would give them time to paint the doors overnight, instead of doing it between the early and late Monday shows.

I remember I thought it was weird, whatever it was.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 08:59:21 PM by Steve Gavazzi »