Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Price is right to have a 7 week taping break while Drew enjoys soccer  (Read 8440 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Price is right to have a 7 week taping break while Drew enjoys soccer
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 09:36:15 PM »
I've seen the show's tape schedule for the fall '86 episodes, and I can verify that the Specials were taped between the October 6 and October 7 programs.
Could you elaborate, please? I know the Specials were taped in July, since GSN showed a "Recorded Jul 86" bug during all six shows.

I don't think this was normal, and I can't even remember why they did it now, but in the summer of 2006, there was a plan to repaint the Big Doors for Season 35, tape the second week of the season, paint the Season 31-34 patterns back on, tape the Season 34 finale, and then paint the Season 35 pattern again and go forward from there.  Some kind of conflict came up with the schedule, though, and it ended up not happening.
[...]
I remember I thought it was weird, whatever it was.
That...is weird. And totally nonsensical. I can see why such an idea was thrown out -- it's really, really stupid.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:06:59 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 10:31:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'240294\' date=\'May 3 2010, 09:36 PM\']Could you elaborate, please? I know the Specials were taped in July -- GSN showed a "Recorded Jul 86" bug on all six shows.[/quote]
I'm not sure what else you want me to tell you...they did October 6, went on their summer break, came back, did the Specials, and then picked back up the next week with October 7.  About the only other thing I can think of that anyone besides me would care about is that they were the second-last group of shows that Marc Breslow directed.

[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'240294\' date=\'May 3 2010, 09:36 PM\']That...is weird. And totally nonsensical. I can see why such an idea was thrown out -- it's really, really stupid.[/quote]
No, actually, I don't think you can.  I've never really been cleared to say what happened, but it was an administrative issue that had nothing to do with the schedule itself.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 11:20:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'240299\' date=\'May 3 2010, 10:31 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'240294\' date=\'May 3 2010, 09:36 PM\']That...is weird. And totally nonsensical. I can see why such an idea was thrown out -- it's really, really stupid.[/quote]
No, actually, I don't think you can.  I've never really been cleared to say what happened, but it was an administrative issue that had nothing to do with the schedule itself.[/quote]
I don't think some people realize how relatively easy it is to paint a set piece.  Probably the same mentality that thinks The Price Is Right is the one-and-only permanent fixture in Studio 33.  I could imagine any number of scenarios where painting a flat would be the simplest solution to a problem, scheduling or otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:20:41 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 11:58:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'240304\' date=\'May 3 2010, 11:20 PM\']I don't think some people realize how relatively easy it is to paint a set piece.  Probably the same mentality that thinks The Price Is Right is the one-and-only permanent fixture in Studio 33.  I could imagine any number of scenarios where painting a flat would be the simplest solution to a problem, scheduling or otherwise.[/quote]
I can only base my guesses on how well I paint.  That isn't very well. :-)

jmangin

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 02:48:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'240292\' date=\'May 3 2010, 08:57 PM\']I don't think this was normal, and I can't even remember why they did it now, but in the summer of 2006, there was a plan to repaint the Big Doors for Season 35, tape the second week of the season, paint the Season 31-34 patterns back on, tape the Season 34 finale, and then paint the Season 35 pattern again and go forward from there.  Some kind of conflict came up with the schedule, though, and it ended up not happening.

So yeah...hardly normal, but not unheard of.

EDIT:  Actually, maybe they were going to tape the sixth and seventh shows on Monday, do the 34 finale on Tuesday, and then pick 35 back up on Wednesday.  That would give them time to paint the doors overnight, instead of doing it between the early and late Monday shows.

I remember I thought it was weird, whatever it was.[/quote]
I'm not discounting or challenging what you're saying about the taping schedule, but they don't paint the actual door panels. One large canvas is painted and then cut to fit the width of each panel. They could have easily removed the canvas from the panels and replaced them, then reapplied the earlier canvas.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 03:10:01 PM »
I'm not sure what else you want me to tell you...they did October 6, went on their summer break, came back, did the Specials, and then picked back up the next week with October 7. About the only other thing I can think of that anyone besides me would care about is that they were the second-last group of shows that Marc Breslow directed.
I meant to ask if you could divulge the specific tapedates. I've always wondered when, specifically, the '86 Specials were taped in relation to the October 6 and 7 shows.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:08:32 AM by Dan88 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 03:41:45 PM »
they don't paint the actual door panels. One large canvas is painted and then cut to fit the width of each panel. They could have easily removed the canvas from the panels and replaced them, then reapplied the earlier canvas.
I knew the guy who designed that set (Ted Cooper) and his assistant (Mark Bowerman) and I've never heard this one. More than likely there is more than one set of panels which can be attached to/removed from the frames. Those doors cannot be repainted overnight short of bringing in a crew of 24 painters on overtime at tremendous expense. It's way too elaborate.

jmangin

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 05:53:44 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'240343\' date=\'May 4 2010, 03:41 PM\']
they don't paint the actual door panels. One large canvas is painted and then cut to fit the width of each panel. They could have easily removed the canvas from the panels and replaced them, then reapplied the earlier canvas.
I knew the guy who designed that set (Ted Cooper) and his assistant (Mark Bowerman) and I've never heard this one. More than likely there is more than one set of panels which can be attached to/removed from the frames. Those doors cannot be repainted overnight short of bringing in a crew of 24 painters on overtime at tremendous expense. It's way too elaborate.
[/quote]
When I checked out the set during my visit in 2002 and looked at the individual frames I saw a canvas that was stapled into the sides for each wooden panel, but perhaps I'm misinterpreting the process of how new artwork is affixed to the doors. When did Cooper & Bowerman start working with the show?

I agree there are different sets of panels they could have easily been hung on the frames. I have some pics of the set being struck somewhere on my computer at home that shows the door panels stacked across the bottoms of each frame before they're carted away by a fork lift. I would imagine they have at least a backup set for each door's design based on wear & tear, no?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 09:18:44 PM »
Ted started on the show in 1956. That whole layout in studio 33 is Ted's brainchild, as were the Any Number and Range games. Mark came along in the '70s.

From what I remember of the Doug Davidson version, the same door frames were used but with different panels, with yet another frame affixed to the door frames to conceal the chase lights. If you saw fabric stapled to the doors it would suggest that the fabric is not easily changed. When you consider that the doors are 11 to 12 feet high, if they are faced with luan (old doors) or masonite (new doors) there is going to be a seam where the standard eight-foot panels join, and covering them with muslin (like a standard theatrical flat) and painting the fabric would effectively conceal the seam.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 11:01:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'240340\' date=\'May 4 2010, 03:10 PM\']I meant to ask if you could divulge the specific tapedates. I've always wondered when, specifically, the '86 Specials were taped.[/quote]
Right now, they're buried somewhere in 80 pages of e-mails that I've never bothered to get rid of...so no.

NickS

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 11:54:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'240292\' date=\'May 3 2010, 07:57 PM\'][quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'240225\' date=\'May 2 2010, 07:29 PM\']Source?[/quote]
I've seen the show's tape schedule for the fall '86 episodes, and I can verify that the Specials were taped between the October 6 and October 7 programs.
[/quote]

Fair enough.  Thank you, Steve.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 10:17:25 AM »
Right now, they're buried somewhere in 80 pages of e-mails that I've never bothered to get rid of...so no.
Ah. Never mind, then. :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:09:28 AM by Dan88 »