Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! Betting  (Read 5246 times)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Jeopardy! Betting
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 11:06:30 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'240767\' date=\'May 12 2010, 09:31 PM\']Best case scenario: 8 contestants qualified (5 winners and 3 high scorers), and the other 7 finished with $0. Of those 7, the player with the highest score at the end of Double Jeopardy! round advanced to the semi finals.[/quote]
That's what happened, iirc, but I would love to know what would happen if there were a tie at pre-FJ score.
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Jeopardy! Betting
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 11:10:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'240781\' date=\'May 12 2010, 08:06 PM\'][quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'240767\' date=\'May 12 2010, 09:31 PM\']Best case scenario: 8 contestants qualified (5 winners and 3 high scorers), and the other 7 finished with $0. Of those 7, the player with the highest score at the end of Double Jeopardy! round advanced to the semi finals.[/quote]That's what happened, iirc, but I would love to know what would happen if there were a tie at pre-FJ score.
[/quote]At that point, Jeopardy! is required to comply with the Geneva Convention and have those tied engage in a round of leg wrestling.

(no, not really.)
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

Jeopardy! Betting
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 07:41:50 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'240782\' date=\'May 12 2010, 08:10 PM\'][quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'240781\' date=\'May 12 2010, 08:06 PM\'][quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'240767\' date=\'May 12 2010, 09:31 PM\']Best case scenario: 8 contestants qualified (5 winners and 3 high scorers), and the other 7 finished with $0. Of those 7, the player with the highest score at the end of Double Jeopardy! round advanced to the semi finals.[/quote]That's what happened, iirc, but I would love to know what would happen if there were a tie at pre-FJ score.
[/quote]At that point, Jeopardy! is required to comply with the Geneva Convention and have those tied engage in a round of leg wrestling.[/quote]
AGTOT?

(no, not really.)
Oh.

Unrealtor

Jeopardy! Betting
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 09:58:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'240781\' date=\'May 12 2010, 10:06 PM\'][quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'240767\' date=\'May 12 2010, 09:31 PM\']Best case scenario: 8 contestants qualified (5 winners and 3 high scorers), and the other 7 finished with $0. Of those 7, the player with the highest score at the end of Double Jeopardy! round advanced to the semi finals.[/quote]
That's what happened, iirc, but I would love to know what would happen if there were a tie at pre-FJ score.
[/quote]

I can think of a couple other numbers they might use, but I assume that it eventually comes down to a tiebreaker question or random chance (e.g., coin flip.) I can think of arguments for both, so I'm curious what they went with, too.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Matt Ottinger

Jeopardy! Betting
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 10:21:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'240797\' date=\'May 13 2010, 09:58 AM\']I assume that it eventually comes down to a tiebreaker question or random chance (e.g., coin flip.)[/quote]
I can't imagine Jeopardy ever deciding something like that by a coin flip.  They probably have 'coin flip' at the bottom of a ridiculously long list of determining factors, much like the NFL does in deciding playoff teams, but so far down the list that it would never happen.  At some point in every Jeopardy game, somebody's ahead of somebody else, so they can always go with that in lieu of random chance.  The time they accepted someone with zero as a wild card, I'm virtually certain it went to the person with the highest score going into Final Jeopardy.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

Jeopardy! Betting
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 10:27:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'240800\' date=\'May 13 2010, 10:21 AM\'][quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'240797\' date=\'May 13 2010, 09:58 AM\']I assume that it eventually comes down to a tiebreaker question or random chance (e.g., coin flip.)[/quote]
I can't imagine Jeopardy ever deciding something like that by a coin flip.  They probably have 'coin flip' at the bottom of a ridiculously long list of determining factors, much like the NFL does in deciding playoff teams, but so far down the list that it would never happen.  At some point in every Jeopardy game, somebody's ahead of somebody else, so they can always go with that in lieu of random chance.  The time they accepted someone with zero as a wild card, I'm virtually certain it went to the person with the highest score going into Final Jeopardy.
[/quote]
If Merv were still alive, he might suggest drawing straws the way they did on PYH.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jeremy Nelson

Jeopardy! Betting
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 11:21:35 AM »
My guess is that the criteria goes in an order something like this:

1. Highest score at the end of Final Jeopardy!
2. Highest score at the end of Double Jeopardy!
3. Highest score at the end of Jeopardy! Round!
4. Highest number of correct responses
5. Lowest number of incorrect responses

If all else fails, Alex begins asking questions concerning the disappearance of the mustache he misses oh so much.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

toetyper

Jeopardy! Betting
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 04:05:15 PM »
or higher earnings during their run

Jeremy Nelson

Jeopardy! Betting
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 05:59:13 PM »
Well, this year, the final semi final spot went to a guy who scored just under $5000, which is the lowest for any tournament that I've actually seen.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.