Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amazing Race  (Read 2617 times)

Clay Zambo

Amazing Race
« on: May 10, 2010, 10:53:38 AM »
I didn't think Amazing Race contestants were permitted to sit in first class airplane seats.

Or is the rule that they're not allowed to BUY first-class seats?

I'm not saying that the outcome was affected.  I'm just confused.

And really.  Brandy?  Your family must be so proud.

Oy.
czambo@mac.com

wxfrcaster

Amazing Race
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 10:59:28 AM »
Correct - they are not allowed to buy first class seats, but they can sit anywhere they want - which ended up being a smart move.

Also, Jordan taking notes along the way was incredibly smart!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Amazing Race
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 11:01:05 AM »
From what I understand, the rules are that a team cannot purchase anything more expensive than economy/coach, but can be moved farther up the plane for free if they can get it. (They also can't buy more than the four seats per team required in an attempt to prevent other teams from getting on that flight)

With the exception of the cowboys and detectives, what a miserable lot of contestants this series. Fail.
Travis L. Eberle

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Amazing Race
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 02:07:26 PM »
[quote name=\'wxfrcaster\' post=\'240590\' date=\'May 10 2010, 10:59 AM\']Also, Jordan taking notes along the way was incredibly smart![/quote]
Welcome to last season.  Unfortunately, it didn't pay off then (which resulted in a different kind of classy finish) but it's refreshing to see reality show contestants display some genre savvy
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:07:41 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

trainman

Amazing Race
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 10:42:21 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'240591\' date=\'May 10 2010, 08:01 AM\']From what I understand, the rules are that a team cannot purchase anything more expensive than economy/coach, but can be moved farther up the plane for free if they can get it.[/quote]

Presumably, that rule excluded them from purchasing the "Economy Plus" seats on United Airlines, which are the front rows of the coach cabin -- which meant getting moved up to business class seats was a definite advantage, since the others were many rows back.
trainman is a man of trains

davewalls

Amazing Race
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
This happened a couple of season's ago with Chip and Reichen who were upgraded to First Class for free in one leg, while only paying for coach..

I actually had a small issue with taking notes. While smart, I always thought it should be a test of memory. So be it, can't fault him for being smart enough to do that.
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

RyanCDN

Amazing Race
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 04:15:08 PM »
[quote name=\'davewalls\' post=\'240684\' date=\'May 11 2010, 07:09 PM\']This happened a couple of season's ago with Chip and Reichen who were upgraded to First Class for free in one leg, while only paying for coach..

I actually had a small issue with taking notes. While smart, I always thought it should be a test of memory. So be it, can't fault him for being smart enough to do that.[/quote]

I did find any problem with what they did.  I made a comment to my wife, one thing I would take with me on the race would be a journal.  As long as the show has no rule against it, they performed within the rules of the game.  It's a race, for $1,000,000 - use any source you can to legally give you an advantage.

-Ryan
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Amazing Race
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 06:03:29 PM »
[quote name=\'RyanCDN\' post=\'240825\' date=\'May 13 2010, 01:15 PM\']As long as the show has no rule against it, they performed within the rules of the game.[/quote]I'm pretty sure that after "no poofters," that I remember seeing that contestants cannot bring writing materials with them at the start of the race.

Now, whether they're allowed to purchase them at the starting airport...
Travis L. Eberle

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Amazing Race
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 06:54:57 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'240830\' date=\'May 13 2010, 06:03 PM\'][quote name=\'RyanCDN\' post=\'240825\' date=\'May 13 2010, 01:15 PM\']As long as the show has no rule against it, they performed within the rules of the game.[/quote]I'm pretty sure that after "no poofters," that I remember seeing that contestants cannot bring writing materials with them at the start of the race.

Now, whether they're allowed to purchase them at the starting airport...[/quote]
You don't even have to purchase, really.  There are enough places in an airport that have pens for use (credit card booths, restaurants), and I have to believe that teams don't bunk in the Pit Stop but at a hotel, which generally has pens o plenty.
This signature is currently under construction.