Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Daytime Emmy nominations announced  (Read 10502 times)

colonial

Daytime Emmy nominations announced
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:29:01 AM »
The Daytime Emmy people announced the nominations for the Daytime Emmy Awards, which will air on CBS from Las Vegas this summer.  This year, the number of nominations for both Outstanding Game/Audience Partication Show and Outstanding Game Show Host have been upped to five.

Outstanding Game/Audience Participation Show...

Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?
Cash Cab
Jeopardy!
The Price is Right
Wheel of Fortune

Outstanding Game Show Host...

Ben Bailey (Cash Cab)
Wayne Brady (LMAD)
Pat Sajak (WOF)
Alex Trebek (Jeopardy!)
Carnie Wilson (Newlywed Game)

WOF also received a nomination for Outstanding Achievement in Lighting Direction, competing against Oprah, Ellen and The View.

Full nominee list can be found here...

http://www.emmyonline.org/mediacenter/dayt...ominations.html

For some reason, the Outstanding Achievement in Makeup nominees crack me up.  Here, the voters must decide who's the toughest person to doll up -- Tyra Banks, Barbara Walters or Pat Robertson.  Can I vote "none of the above" and move on?

JD

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
Hey, Price is nominated again! Good for them.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 03:12:23 PM »
Carnie got nominated. Very interesting and (rightfully so) good candidates.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 03:22:20 PM »
Interesting that Wheel and Jeopardy! are the only ones with nominations for host and show. Even more interesting that Millionaire didn't throw its hat into the ring.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 06:40:49 PM »
Outstanding Game/Audience Participation Show

Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?
Cash Cab
Jeopardy!
The Price is Right
Wheel of Fortune
Which show gets your vote? Not which show is your favorite; which show is worthy of this award? I would vote for any of them except TPIR and Cash Cab.

Wayne Brady as Outstanding Emcee? I think not.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 07:55:46 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'240756\' date=\'May 12 2010, 05:40 PM\']I would vote for any of them except TPIR[/quote]Show of hands if anyone is surprised.
and Cash Cab.
Funny, that's the show I would vote for.  I think its remarkably well put-together and the game is fun and engaging without giving away oodles of cash.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 08:08:12 PM »
If Cash Cab were not on the list would you vote for TPIR, Mr. Odor? Do you think it stands out from the other shows except Cash Cab?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:09:43 PM by chris319 »

chad1m

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 08:17:47 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'240760\' date=\'May 12 2010, 08:08 PM\']Do you think it stands out from the other shows except Cash Cab?[/quote]I'm not Mr. Odor, but I'll answer. I enjoy all of the shows on the list. 5th Grader is lather, rinse and repeat for the most part. But as compared to the other long-running shows Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!, Price has done more to try to stay fresh and bring new life into the show by trying new things once in a while. So yes, I do think it stands out from the other shows.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 08:40:26 PM »
Price has done more to try to stay fresh and bring new life into the show by trying new things once in a while.
Have the gimmicks they've tried during the past few years (e.g. Drewcases) really resulted in an outstanding show? Regardless of the fact that he's not up for an Emmy, they're still saddled with an emcee who can't even get the rules to the games right (yup Mr. Raygor, there's another swipe at your pal Drew). A case could be made that Jeopardy! deserves an award for being a great show without having to gum up the works with gimmicks.

J.R.

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 08:44:17 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'240763\' date=\'May 12 2010, 07:40 PM\'](yup Mr. Raygor, there's another swipe at your pal Drew)[/quote]
Stay classy, Mr. Moderator.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:44:57 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 09:05:48 PM »
Geez, am I the only one who took Chris's question as objective, and not as an attempt to bash The Price is Right or Drew Carey?

[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'240763\' date=\'May 12 2010, 08:40 PM\']Have the gimmicks they've tried during the past few years (e.g. Drewcases) really resulted in an outstanding show? Regardless of the fact that he's not up for an Emmy, they're still saddled with an emcee who can't even get the rules to the games right (yup Mr. Raygor, there's another swipe at your pal Drew). A case could be made that Jeopardy! deserves an award for being a great show without having to gum up the works with gimmicks.[/quote]
I honestly thought about that when you posted your question in an earlier post. To me, TPiR still has a lot of kinks to iron out, it just seems all over the place at times. So no, I probably would not give them the Emmy because it doesn't appear as polished on some days, compared to Wheel or J!

5th Grader is decent enough, and fairly polished. Don't watch Cash Cab enough to judge, but it is a fun enough game show from the eps. I've seen, and it has shown how to do a game show without a big, fancy studio set. The disco lights provide just enough chrome for what could be a pedestrian trivia game.

However, out of the five, I can say J!, and to a lesser extent, Wheel are more or less solid all the way around. Additions that compliment game play without distracting from it, sharp, consistent production, and so forth. Out of the five, J! (and again to a lesser extent Wheel) is a great example of a modern-day game show that still properly utilizes a lot of old-school production values you just don't see anymore. They're not nominated this year, but I'd say Millionaire is another good example. Honestly, I wish more games were produced like those three, although I sometimes question some of Wheel's puzzles.

To me, an Emmy award-winning game show should be just as enjoyable without the glitz, chrome, or gimmicks. When I watch an 80s or 90s episode of TPiR, I get that impression. Nowadays, I don't know what I'll get at 11am. That can be a good thing at times...if I'm judging for Emmy-worthy material, I'm not so sure.

TPiR's outside-the-box thinking has gotten a couple of laughs out of me. However, if the production is still all over the place, I'm crossing it off my ballot list.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:14:21 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 09:33:43 PM »
Geez, am I the only one who took Chris's question as objective, and not as an attempt to bash The Price is Right or Drew Carey?
You just might be ;-)

There is "bashing" and there is reasoned criticism. Imagine being in an office full of producers and directors each with decades of experience behind them. If they don't like an emcee you're going to hear reasoned criticism and not fanb0i rants. Trust me on that one. Matter of fact, I have spoken to a producer with decades of experience behind him specifically about Drew and TPIR and what do you think I got? Reasoned criticism!

I agree with all of the remarks about Jeopardy! For one thing it doesn't try to pander to the younger set. For another thing, the quality of the material and contestants is consistently high after all these years. Then there is Alex who is as solid as the rock of Gibraltar, as fresh on the 10th show taped as on the first. So it gets my vote.

To me, an Emmy award-winning game show should be just as enjoyable without the glitz, chrome, or gimmicks.
Imagine playing a game in that same room full of seasoned producers and directors without even the physical prizes being present, no music, no Drewcases, no bling. That will tell you whether a game will play or not. The exceptions would be Cash Cab which can't really be done in an office, and Mindreaders which played well in the office but sucked on the air.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:35:13 PM by chris319 »

J.R.

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 09:39:32 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'240769\' date=\'May 12 2010, 08:33 PM\']You just might be ;-)[/quote]
For the record: I didn't take offense to it either.

That personal snipe towards me wasn't called for. I respectfully ask for an apology.

/Can just we come to compromise?
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 09:42:15 PM »
If you saw the May 10 episode of The Price is Right, you'd realize that it is no longer "outstanding". It doesn't matter if the host is saying "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price" instead of ARP, or if he garbles the rules, but when your Executive Producer knowingly puts a prize he can't afford in a game that is dependent on luck far more than the other car games, that's just piss poor planning.

Fifth Grader has ten (or eleven) fairly easy questions per show. Wheel of Fortune insults my intelligence, my patience and my eardrums when I watch.

Cash Cab has an interesting game and fun material. It is always exciting to watch and fun to play along with. Jeopardy refuses to pander to the dummkopfs by having consistently difficult material, and for not wading too far into the Ocean of Gimmickry.

So yes, I think Cash Cab and Jeopardy! stand out from the field, and I would be pleased to find out that one of them won.
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:05:09 PM »
My vote goes to Cash Cab, for the simple reason that there are too many outside occurences that the producers have relatively no control over (though I'm sure there have been a few "fares" that didn't even make it to the game-playing stage for one reason or another), whereas in the other shows, the contestants are cherry picked either for their age, looks or brains (not neccessarily for all 3).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:07:05 PM by TimK2003 »