Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stu Shostak Show Archive Now available  (Read 3676 times)

Tim L

Stu Shostak Show Archive Now available
« on: May 26, 2010, 11:12:19 PM »
Stuart Shostak, who has operated shokus.com Vintage TV/Video store and Shokus Internet Radio for several years, has announced on his Facebook Page the creation of stusshow.com, an archive of all the episodes of his flagship series..I know many of the guests he's had are Game Show hosts and producers, etc.  I know I never catch his live show (church or work Wed. Nights) and never think to catch the replays..

http://stusshow.com/archives.html

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 11:36:21 PM »
This...will keep me very busy. There have been so many shows over the years I was interested in, but it was never convenient for me to plunk down in front of the computer for two hours on a vast majority of the Wednesdays. In mp3 form, where I can listen to them to and from work? HELLoooo - much applause for Stu. I hope I can toss him a few bucks to say thanks.

-Jason
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 11:37:29 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 12:25:20 AM »
*fostergray82 likes this.*

I work second shift, which is when Stu's show normally airs, so this is perfect for me. Will probably check it out this weekend!
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

rialtus

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 01:22:57 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'241489\' date=\'May 26 2010, 08:36 PM\']I hope I can toss him a few bucks to say thanks.[/quote]Donate link is right there towards the top of The Archives page. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a Randy West show to download.

/donate early
//donate often

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 02:12:00 AM »
Wonder how he got around the music rights issues.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 12:41:27 PM »
Now if you'll excuse me, I have a Randy West show to download.
Enjoy... we were talking so fast I still haven't caught my breath!
I'll be back with Stu on June 16th.

The old fashioned way - he pays them.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 12:42:42 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'241524\' date=\'May 27 2010, 12:41 PM\']
The old fashioned way - he pays them.[/quote]
Novel concept.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 12:45:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'241525\' date=\'May 27 2010, 09:42 AM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'241524\' date=\'May 27 2010, 12:41 PM\']
The old fashioned way - he pays them.[/quote]
Novel concept.[/quote]
Seems plenty reasonable to me. When I asked him way back this didn't sound like an option. If his revenue stream is such now that it is, all props.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 01:02:51 PM »
Was that ever a problem with Stu's Show though? He has a tiny bit of stock music-y stuff to intro the show (and often times, guest-related clips before the interview), but other than that, it's him and his guest(s) talking. I could understand, however, being weary to foot the bandwidth bill on an archive, and essentially discouraging listening live (to those all-important ads).

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Otm Shank

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 01:33:05 PM »
Stu replied to a message of mine in another forum to say that, indeed, was the reason why he streamed his show rather than podcasting it. Rights management is a big money grab, and to have it "available for download" (in the music industry's mind) would cost a hefty premium. I assume that he edited out the incidental music and commercials that contained the costly music, paid for what he wanted to keep. On the other hand, if he paid for the rights for the music and the show is unedited, I imagine that was very costly.

davemackey

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 01:38:53 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'241528\' date=\'May 27 2010, 01:02 PM\']Was that ever a problem with Stu's Show though? He has a tiny bit of stock music-y stuff to intro the show (and often times, guest-related clips before the interview), but other than that, it's him and his guest(s) talking. I could understand, however, being weary to foot the bandwidth bill on an archive, and essentially discouraging listening live (to those all-important ads).

-Jason[/quote]
I just listened to the show he did back in September with Milton Delugg and he had a bunch of songs on there. Perry Como singing "Hoop-de-doo", some Frank Loesser stuff, some of the kiddie records Milton was involved with.

ADDITIONAL INFO: Stu's music theme is "Up a Lazy River" by Si Zentner. Great tune.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 08:14:27 PM by davemackey »

tvrandywest

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 04:36:51 PM »
Yes, streaming rather than podcasting creates the biggest savings. "Stu's Show" is light on music so it can be offered "on demand" without busting his budget... but it is an added expense that deserves our support. A number of his other Shokus Radio programs, including music-intensive "Baby Boomer Favorites" with Jeanine Kasun, play all manner of ASCAP and BMI product for which he pays rights.

Shameless: I'm Jeanine's guest the week of June 7  ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 01:54:57 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

stuincalif

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 08:32:51 PM »
Hi everyone - glad to hear I made the right move.  Yes, agreements did have to be worked out with both the music licensing agencies as well as the advertisers.  The compromise was...to keep the advertisers happy, the ads have been left in the programs.  To satisfy the music industry, I am paying royalties on a "per download" basis, and had to install a program to keep track of each download for those quarterly payments I have to make.  I was going to install some sort of tracking software for my own purposes anyway, so that was not an issue.  In the case of musical guests such as Milton DeLugg, since it's his own publishing company for his musical compositions, I have his permission and a separate arrangement with him.  With other musical guests such as Cubby O'Brien, royalties fall under the "per download" agreement with the respective music licensing agencies.

There will be a 4-5 week delay before the current live shows will be available on the archive site.  If I find that this time frame inhibits listeners from tuning in for the weekly live Wednesday shows, it will be extended.  So it's still important to listen to the show on the station to make the advertisers happy and to insure the guests that they are being heard and enjoyed as we do the shows live.  It took a bit of convincing for the advertisers to be satisfied; it's also the reason for the delay of the current shows being available.

As for the archives site, please help to keep it going by donating whatever you can each time you acquire any of the programs.  I not only have to foot the bill for the monthly storage fee and bandwidth, but also the royalties involved for those programs that contain copyrighted music.  Special thanks to those who have already donated - EVERY little bit helps, especially in this terrible economy.

The goal here is to increase the amount of listeners to the show on a regular basis, and to hopefully allow those who can never tune in live or for any of the rebroadcasts an opportunity to still be able to listen.  Thanks!

Stu
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:20:47 PM by stuincalif »

Tim L

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 10:46:29 PM »
Another nice thing about this...Many of the episodes are two-parters, but because of the nature of how Stu had to schedule his guests, Part 2 of a topic/guest appearance might be months after Part 1..Here, you can search out both parts and listen to them back to back..Am doing that now with the Wesley Hyatt Interviews in 2008 (Hyatt wrote a great book on Daytime TV a number of years ago..)

Thanks so much Stu..One other thing, I have bought several DVD's from his company in the past..Outstanding service!