Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Fortunes!  (Read 9019 times)

chad1m

Family Fortunes!
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 12:35:25 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'252839\' date=\'Dec 20 2010, 12:27 AM\']The ability to see everyone else's answers skews the results.[/quote]Not if you're smart enough to think "hm, maybe I shouldn't look at these answers." As broken as our forum's PM/email system can be, I can understand why the guy did what he did. I think everyone who's posted is smart enough to have done that.

/Well, minus the obvious. But he's too busy hanging broken TVs on his tree to bother.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 12:42:51 AM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Family Fortunes!
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 12:48:52 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'252841\' date=\'Dec 19 2010, 09:35 PM\']Not if you're smart enough to think "hm, maybe I shouldn't look at these answers." I think everyone who's posted is smart enough to have done that.[/quote]
I think you're wrong.

Further, it has nothing to do with smart/dumb, and everything to do with it occurring to them to think "OMG I totally should make sure not to look at any answers before I respond so my own aren't influenced." I'd be *shocked* if everyone took that much care, and not because I think people here are stupid or thoughtless, but simply because it wouldn't occur to them. Hell, the first time I read the post and scanned the list of questions, I saw Holland's answer to the first one. So right there, if I responded, I'd be tainted.

And if anybody scrolled to the bottom of the thread before responding, whether they realize it or not? They're tainted too. Data was flashing in front of their eyes. Maybe they weren't assimilating it, but their subconscious mind saw it.

Now, is that level of taint (huh-huh) enough to make the poll results unusable? Probably not. But I'd bet you a pan of my family recipe English Toffee (last week was my annual Holiday Baking) that the results would be different from what we're seeing here if the replies were emailed privately. Maybe not MUCH different, but different.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 12:49:47 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Family Fortunes!
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2010, 01:09:53 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'252844\' date=\'Dec 19 2010, 10:48 PM\']Hell, the first time I read the post and scanned the list of questions, I saw Holland's answer to the first one. So right there, if I responded, I'd be tainted.[/quote]

I encountered the same exact scenario and had the same reaction. Sorry I couldn't participate as a result.

[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'252813\' date=\'Dec 19 2010, 06:54 PM\']I'm surprised nobody's given joke answers yet.[/quote]

Given the usual "humor" around here some days, you might have read a couple dozen already.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck