Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid Super Six question  (Read 9939 times)

tidefan12

Pyramid Super Six question
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2003, 06:50:20 PM »
They select the categories beforehand because they show the celebrities the answers beforehand and want them to think of good clues since there are only 20 seconds on the clock.

Are you sure about that?  Unless things have changed since I appeared last season, the CONTESTANTS are shown and select the categories for the first two rounds following a coin toss, but we were never told the nature of those categories.  As far as I knew, the only thing the celebs were shown in advance was the categories, too.  

As far as the WC, there is quite a long gap in taping following the end of the front game where the contestant coordinator drills the player on previously used WC categories and the celebs are off in the green room or wherever being prepped as well.  I don't think they're being given the actual game material.  I would imagine they're being given previously used categories to make sure they understand the "listing vs. describing" aspect of that round.  

Shane Elsberry

Steve McClellan

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2003, 08:42:40 PM »
[quote name=\'tidefan12\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 03:50 PM\'] I don't think they're being given the actual game material. [/quote]
 They are indeed given the actual material, and usually spend about 10-12 minutes in a corner of the studio coming up with clues, and being able to ask any questions they may have about the legality of said clues.

Gromit

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2003, 09:01:59 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 06:42 PM\'] [quote name=\'tidefan12\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 03:50 PM\'] I don't think they're being given the actual game material. [/quote]
They are indeed given the actual material, and usually spend about 10-12 minutes in a corner of the studio coming up with clues, and being able to ask any questions they may have about the legality of said clues. [/quote]
 Wow. I'm speechless. Here I've been defending Pyramid in the other thread, and then along comes this.

This *completely* changes the nature of the game. It's a fast paced, think on your feet, test your vocabulary game.

This essentially turns it into a glorified Hollywood Squares. :(

zachhoran

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2003, 09:07:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 09:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 06:42 PM\'] [quote name=\'tidefan12\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 03:50 PM\'] I don't think they're being given the actual game material. [/quote]
They are indeed given the actual material, and usually spend about 10-12 minutes in a corner of the studio coming up with clues, and being able to ask any questions they may have about the legality of said clues. [/quote]
Wow. I'm speechless. Here I've been defending Pyramid in the other thread, and then along comes this.

This *completely* changes the nature of the game. It's a fast paced, think on your feet, test your vocabulary game.

This essentially turns it into a glorified Hollywood Squares. :( [/quote]
I don't care for this practice either. As was stated in an earlier post, it would be nice if returning celebrities at the least do not choose such "briefings".

I suspect a Password revival if it were to come along might also have celebs being briefed on the words to be played.

I suppose Bob Stewart and the old school Pyramid staff will be quite disappointed to hear about this "briefing" if they haven't already.(Celebs on the old Pyramid were often tested before they played on their taping day, but with game material that wouldn't be used on the air that week of shows)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 09:57:39 PM by zachhoran »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2003, 09:23:29 PM »
If you change your perception of "Pyramid" as a test of word knowlege to a celebrity short-term memory game, it may help to enjoy the show more.  Sure, Marie Winn was given all the questions and answers on "Dotto," but she had to memorize them, too.  That takes some skill.  As has been said since the day "Pyramid" debuted, this is not your father's "Pyramid."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JTFriends1

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2003, 09:54:46 PM »
As far as celebrities reviewing front game material - I am almost positive they do NOT.  I must say, my only proof is my time spent on hold for the contest, however, as I was patched into the audio system, I could hear celebrities and contestants (clearly) talking during the downtime.  One contestant said to the celebrity, I selected "x" category, and it might have something to do with this or that.  To which the celebrity also offered his thoughts and developed some possible clues to some possible answers.  All their guesses were wrong.  I doubt the celebrity would've entered into a pointless hypothetical if they knew the contestant was dead wrong.

Timsterino

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2003, 10:39:13 PM »
[quote name=\'JTFriends1\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 10:54 PM\'] As far as celebrities reviewing front game material - I am almost positive they do NOT.  I must say, my only proof is my time spent on hold for the contest, however, as I was patched into the audio system, I could hear celebrities and contestants (clearly) talking during the downtime.  One contestant said to the celebrity, I selected "x" category, and it might have something to do with this or that.  To which the celebrity also offered his thoughts and developed some possible clues to some possible answers.  All their guesses were wrong.  I doubt the celebrity would've entered into a pointless hypothetical if they knew the contestant was dead wrong. [/quote]
 A friend of mine was a contestant last season and I can tell you for a fact that the celebrities are indeed briefed before hand.

I know that Stephen Brown, the show's Executive Producer is a member here. Maybe he can verify this.

Tim :-)

ITSBRY

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2003, 10:06:18 AM »
celebrities are shown material prior to telecast

This is maddening!!  How is this an acceptable practice for a game like "Pyramid"!?!

"Pyramid" could be such a good show.  They got a lot right, but ALL the important things are so wrong.  I'd rather watch the same tired reruns on GSN and see the game played the right way than sit and watch players act instead of play.

Sony's ruined the greatest game show ever conceived.  :-\

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

zachhoran

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2003, 10:21:12 AM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 10:06 AM\']

This is maddening!!  How is this an acceptable practice for a game like "Pyramid"!?!

"Pyramid" could be such a good show.  They got a lot right, but ALL the important things are so wrong.  I'd rather watch the same tired reruns on GSN and see the game played the right way than sit and watch players act instead of play.

Sony's ruined the greatest game show ever conceived.  :-\

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com [/quote]
 Yet with all the briefing, we still see more than our share of one and two out of six maingame rounds. And, people still give illegal clues often enough in the maingame. The briefing probably does account for us seeing five or so WC wins in a week of shows instead of the two or so the 70s and 80s runs might have averaged.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2003, 10:50:06 AM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 11:06 AM\']

This is maddening!!  How is this an acceptable practice for a game like "Pyramid"!?! [/quote]
 The perception appears to be that this is no different than the advance prep that celebrities are given on Hollywood Squares, though even on that show the stars aren't actually given the correct answers.

In general, the current Pyramid appears to be trying to position itself as a light celebrity game along the lines of Squares, rather than as the challenging word game PLAYED by celebrities that we remember.  That would be an explanation for their "theme" weeks (such as the recent NASCAR) that seem to have little regard for whether the celebrities they book can actually play the game.  That's not a problem for Squares -- heck, even Paris Hilton can be a celebrity on Squares -- but it is a problem for Pyramid if the game is important to you.  

I will sumbit to you that the current custodians of the franchise consider the celebrity interaction, the humorous material, the appeal of the host, and the occasional big-wad-of-money giveaway to be more important than the game.  In the same way that tic-tac-toe is just the means to a greater end on Squares, I'm thinking Pyramid people see the word game as merely the fuel that powers the larger engine.  Bob Stewart didn't think so, we don't think so, but it's not Bob's (or our) franchise anymore, and hey, ratings are up, so who's to say they're wrong exactly?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2003, 11:58:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 08:50 AM\'] That's not a problem for Squares -- heck, even Paris Hilton can be a celebrity on Squares

[/quote]
 "Paris Hilton for the block, please, Tom."

"Paris Hilton! She can be seen on a computer near you....um, ah, not that I have....erm..."
but it's not Bob's (or our) franchise anymore, and hey, ratings are up, so who's to say they're wrong exactly?
Proof positive once again that the average American television viewer is a freakin' moron.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2003, 12:04:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 09:50 AM\'] [H]eck, even Paris Hilton can be a celebrity on Squares [/quote]
 She's already associated with the letter X now, so adding O is only natural.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

ITSBRY

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2003, 02:27:43 PM »
but it's not Bob's (or our) franchise anymore, and hey, ratings are up, so who's to say they're wrong exactly?

To be honest with you, I think Pyramid would be doing just fine if they were following the blueprint that Stewart layed out for the game.  There have been enough minor changes to the show (set, host, theme, 6 in 20 rule, theme weeks) that modernize it.

I will sumbit to you that the current custodians of the franchise consider the celebrity interaction, the humorous material, the appeal of the host, and the occasional big-wad-of-money giveaway to be more important than the game.

Matt...I agree with you that this is PROBABLY what producers today care more about, but I don't really think you can attribute the higher ratings (which really aren't that much higher, are they?) to changes that have been made just for the sake of making a change.

I don't think the D list celebs are what people tune in for either.  Donny might be part of it, but not the celebs.  I can't imagine asking a casual viewer why they like "Pyramid" and hearing, "well, those categories are just so funny" or "I love the Pine Sol lady...she's wacky".

My simple recipe for fixing Pyramid is:
*don't let celebs see the material before the show
*get the judging fixed (at the very least make it consistent)
*dump the wild camera shots

*biased opinion follows*  :-D

I simply cannot see how any reasonable person could hold "Pyramid" up against any previous attempt and say that these bonehead changes improve the show in any way.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

GS Warehouse

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2003, 04:08:37 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 02:27 PM\'] My simple recipe for fixing Pyramid is:
*get the judging fixed (at the very least make it consistent) [/quote]
 Insert your favorite ghost-of-Dan-Enright joke here.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2003, 10:49:46 PM »
Since the celebs are already being briefed, what would be the harm in the writers actually providing clues to the celebs which they could read off their laptop during the main game?  The contestants would compete to recognize the answers in the shortest amount of time.  It would sorta be like "Jackpot!" with a time limit.  This would cut down on the pre-briefing time and there would never be a bad clue given by the celebs.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.