Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best Relationship/Dating Game Show  (Read 7853 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Best Relationship/Dating Game Show
« on: May 18, 2010, 01:01:46 AM »
This topic popped in my head as I was thinking about the Newlywed Game....a show which I've only actively watched all the way through on a few occasions. Seeing how this genre really doesn't get that much airtime on this forum, I thought it'd be a good question to ask. I always liked watching Tattletales reruns on GSN, and I was kinda fond of Bzzzz!, so those two shows top my list. How about yours?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 04:19:43 AM »
Newlywed Game is my favoritte.  I just can't help but think how many times I've heard Bob Eubanks mentioned the word whoopie.  It's just as funny to watch the couples' reactions to missed questions.  The one thing that I liked about the game is the tiebreaker element.  When the fellas lifted those huge cards revealing how well they might've done, I've always wondered when they wrote down their predictions in case there was a tie.  I've seen 2-way ties, but have there benn 3-or 4-way ties?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 02:09:45 PM »
My favorite was "Love Experts" because Bill Cullen hosted it.  Lange DG and Eubanks NG were good.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 02:53:17 PM »
I enjoyed Bzzz! a lot when I was in high school. Was a cute little game.

I remember watching a lot of Love Connection as a child (my mom loved the show).

Never been a big Dating or Newlywed fan. I watched it if it was on, but never really went out of my way to watch it...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:53:57 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 02:56:37 PM »
TATTLETALES for me.  Always got a kick out of the banana section.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 03:16:53 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'241036\' date=\'May 18 2010, 01:56 PM\']TATTLETALES for me.  Always got a kick out of the banana section.[/quote]Agreed.  I was rather disappointed when BCI folded before this set was released.  Love Connection ranks second.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

jmangin

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 04:50:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'241018\' date=\'May 18 2010, 04:19 AM\']Newlywed Game is my favoritte...The one thing that I liked about the game is the tiebreaker element.[/quote]
I've never liked this tiebreaker format. It has nothing to do with the core format of predicting your spouse's response. I always thought tiebreaker questions like "Before the show we asked your spouse what their waist size/dress size/etc. is...couple who comes closest blah blah blah" would be more applicable.

mmb5

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 04:56:29 PM »
A thumbs up for Singled Out.  If you're going to be trashy and over-the-top, at least be honest and fun about it.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 05:15:39 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'241042\' date=\'May 18 2010, 04:56 PM\']A thumbs up for Singled Out.  If you're going to be trashy and over-the-top, at least be honest and fun about it.[/quote]
Forgot all about that one. I think I'd put that as my favorite, mainly because it didn't take itself too seriously.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jay Temple

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 05:26:41 PM »
existing couples: Tattle Tales, because the questions were more interesting to discuss with my wife
matchmaking: Singled Out, for the same reasons noted above
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 07:19:46 PM »
I never liked the genre until I was out of high school (this is 2004 we're talking about), but BZZZZ! was always enjoyable, not to mention unique.

SteveR

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 09:14:31 PM »
No love for Studs ? ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:14:41 PM by SteveR »

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 09:48:13 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'241069\' date=\'May 18 2010, 08:14 PM\']No love for FREAKIN' Studs ? ;)[/quote]

I, for one, was too young to remember it...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 10:23:05 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'241040\' date=\'May 18 2010, 01:50 PM\']I've never liked this tiebreaker format. It has nothing to do with the core format of predicting your spouse's response.[/quote] Sure it does. Essentially you're predicting how well the two of you will do. (yay meta!) and it was a damn sight better than what Love Buffet did. "Congratulations, Dora and Donald! Since you pulled the higher-numbered ping-pong ball out of the bowl, you're through to the bonus round!" What a pile of fail THAT was. Would I rather they play another question of some sort? Sure. But I understand why they went the way they did.

I always thought tiebreaker questions like "Before the show we asked your spouse what their waist size/dress size/etc. is...couple who comes closest blah blah blah" would be more applicable.
That sounds like it would be terribly uninteresting.

[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'241042\' date=\'May 18 2010, 01:56 PM\']A thumbs up for Singled Out.  If you're going to be trashy and over-the-top, at least be honest and fun about it.[/quote]They certainly went in a welcome different direction. By golly, if I want to take out on the town a tall, pert, perky brunette who went to college, then I think I should be able to cut to the quick and say so, rather than having to wade through innuendo written by people fishing for laughs.

[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' post=\'241056\' date=\'May 18 2010, 04:19 PM\']I never liked the genre until I was out of high school (this is 2004 we're talking about), but BZZZZ! was always enjoyable, not to mention unique.[/quote]The genre was certainly vicarious fun for me, and again, I liked that BZZZ! was able to turn the dating game concept around by showing the date-er his prospects before play began in earnest, as opposed to having to wait until the big reveal.
Travis L. Eberle

Winkfan

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 10:53:22 PM »
TATTLETALES for me.  Always got a kick out of the banana section.

As I have mentioned before in one of my earliest posts, Tattletales is a good example of how a "relationship" show should be done. Which is more than I can say for any of the Studs and Singled Out clones that came during the 1990s.

Also, the ORIGINAL Dating and Newlywed Games from the ABC era were great.

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:17:32 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)