Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best Relationship/Dating Game Show  (Read 7857 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Best Relationship/Dating Game Show
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2010, 02:01:12 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'241216\' date=\'May 21 2010, 02:16 PM\']The '97 variant of NEWLYWED was okay, but it helped having Eubanks still at the helm.[/quote]
Gary Kroeger hosted the Newlywed Game with the format change....when they brought back Eubanks, they reverted back to the classic format.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:01:37 AM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2010, 01:57:22 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'241231\' date=\'May 22 2010, 01:01 AM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'241216\' date=\'May 21 2010, 02:16 PM\']The '97 variant of NEWLYWED was okay, but it helped having Eubanks still at the helm.[/quote]
Gary Kroeger hosted the Newlywed Game with the format change....when they brought back Eubanks, they reverted back to the classic format.
[/quote]
Completely forgot about that version.  And apparently so did most everyone else while it was running.  :)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2010, 02:52:51 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'241216\' date=\'May 21 2010, 12:16 PM\']The format change for DATING was awful, and bringing back the classic format but having Woolery host wasn't that much better.[/quote]Newlywed Game isn't going to be much better whether you have video-recorded answers, or the relatively uninteresting either-or questions, it still adds up to knowing your partner.

What I liked about Dating '97 is that they changed things up for the better. If I'm going out on a date, I really don't care much about the Bachelorettes answers to prepared questions that are written more for the laughs and less for information. When I get to choose between "I pogo-sticked the Boston Marathon" or "I adopt puppies and give them to wheelchair kids", that's an interesting choice and I get to find out something substantive about my prospective datemate. The chooser is allowed to make a judgment based on the tidbits presented, as opposed to being chained to the cue cards in his hand.
Travis L. Eberle

SRIV94

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'241243\' date=\'May 22 2010, 01:52 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'241216\' date=\'May 21 2010, 12:16 PM\']The format change for DATING was awful, and bringing back the classic format but having Woolery host wasn't that much better.[/quote]Newlywed Game isn't going to be much better whether you have video-recorded answers, or the relatively uninteresting either-or questions, it still adds up to knowing your partner.

What I liked about Dating '97 is that they changed things up for the better. If I'm going out on a date, I really don't care much about the Bachelorettes answers to prepared questions that are written more for the laughs and less for information. When I get to choose between "I pogo-sticked the Boston Marathon" or "I adopt puppies and give them to wheelchair kids", that's an interesting choice and I get to find out something substantive about my prospective datemate. The chooser is allowed to make a judgment based on the tidbits presented, as opposed to being chained to the cue cards in his hand.
[/quote]
When put that way, you have a point.  Perhaps that could have been worked in while maintaining the "Bachelor #1/#2/#3" format as opposed to "Sam/Murray/Ed".
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2010, 10:06:43 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'241254\' date=\'May 22 2010, 06:59 PM\']When put that way, you have a point.  Perhaps that could have been worked in while maintaining the "Bachelor #1/#2/#3" format as opposed to "Sam/Murray/Ed".[/quote]I will freely admit that I'm not terribly crazy about keeping the bachelors hidden behind a partition until the big reveal. (And since the Looks round was just 1-2-3, it didn't really affect the Personality round all that much) I understand that if you don't have a safety net and just let the chooser have complete freedom, you either have lots of dead air or possibly the FCC on the horn asking just what is the meaning of all of this, but in the time I watched the "original recipe" version, it didn't seem that the chooser had a whole helluva lot to go on when choosing. (And it didn't seem like Barris et al would throw in a dingus or goop. The three chosen (?) bachelor/ettes seemed to be decent young people, so the chooser wasn't ever at any sort of risk. I don't think it would be all that terrible to have the host, the chooser and the potentials in a living room setting around a coffee table, and the chooser has a stack of questions to draw from, and the potentials have each brought some personality factoids to discuss, and you let 'em go. But that's just me.

All that said, I find it much more difficult to defend the changes made to Newlywed Game.
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2010, 10:23:55 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'241255\' date=\'May 22 2010, 09:06 PM\']The three chosen (?) bachelor/ettes seemed to be decent young people, so the chooser wasn't ever at any sort of risk.[/quote]
Unless your choice was a serial murderer.
-Joe Raygor

SRIV94

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2010, 10:30:15 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'241257\' date=\'May 22 2010, 09:23 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'241255\' date=\'May 22 2010, 09:06 PM\']The three chosen (?) bachelor/ettes seemed to be decent young people, so the chooser wasn't ever at any sort of risk.[/quote]
Unless your choice was a serial murderer.
[/quote]
Perhaps those would be the times Chuckie himself acted as chaperone, potentially killing two birds with one stone (so to speak).
Doug

Don Howard

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2010, 08:29:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'241091\' date=\'May 19 2010, 11:35 AM\']The Dating Game.  I'd say the '78-80 version of this show was probably my favorite.  From my early teenage memories, most of the women on that show seemed hot, the questions were risque and the music was very catchy.[/quote]
I second that emotion. Plus, Jim Lange seemed to me to be a bit more on the mischievous side on this version.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:29:35 AM by Don Howard »