Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Minute To Win It  (Read 7206 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Minute To Win It
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2010, 02:22:36 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'241604\' date=\'May 28 2010, 11:52 AM\']Marie had the exact questions that were to be used. Can't really compare being fed trivia to practicing the events you might be playing on a stunt-based game show. To me, it kinda ruins the spontaneity, but given the difficulty of some events and the money involved, I kinda understand.[/quote]Of course you can't, and Jimmy knows it, so I'm not sure why he chose to equate choreographing a quiz show with allowing people to practice at home.

I can practice for Jeopardy, or Wheel of Fortune, or any other game show on the air. I can decide to what degree I want to practice, as well. And if my devotion to the exercise is more than that of my opposition, then I'm in a better position to do well. Big Brother will routinely reveal the next competition a day before the actual event, allowing everyone a chance to have a couple of tries before the real deal. Minute to Win it is really no different. If I want to practice Supercoin to the detriment of my health and hygiene, I can. I don't, but I can.

[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'241606\' date=\'May 28 2010, 12:23 PM\']For today's TV audience, it's probably better to "cut to the chase."[/quote]That's certainly an interesting point to make with absolutely nothing to back it up. The way you have it, you bring out the family, say, "Well Dad, you have one chance to accomplish the task we showed you seven days ago. Let's get to it," and that's all. You really have zero respect for "today's TV audience," don't you?

With what Big Moment did, you got to see the task, you got to get to know the family, decide whether I want to root for or against them, and then the whole thing builds to a natural climax. Or in the case of the Dad who had to complete a unicycle slalom course and return to the finish line, a total anticlimax as he got about six inches out of the gate and fell off his mount.
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

Minute To Win It
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2010, 05:59:25 PM »
Checking an episode from Hulu, all the disclaimer says is "contestants practiced all potential games prior to taping."

Lirodon

Minute To Win It
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2010, 07:45:51 PM »
If anything, I think they should find a way to integrate this reality into the game better, unfortunately this may seem odd, but maybe doing something like what Don't Forget The Lyrics/Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader did, list out all the games on their board along with the money ladder (with Super Coin maybe labeled separately ... "$1,000,000 GAME", "FINAL CHALLENGE"?) or excluded,  let the contestant pick what goes up next, and work in a statement about the chosen games becoming more difficult on higher prize levels.

Who knows, it might help...

Jeremy Nelson

Minute To Win It
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2010, 12:23:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Lirodon\' post=\'241696\' date=\'May 30 2010, 06:45 PM\']If anything, I think they should find a way to integrate this reality into the game better, unfortunately this may seem odd, but maybe doing something like what Don't Forget The Lyrics/Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader did, list out all the games on their board along with the money ladder (with Super Coin maybe labeled separately ... "$1,000,000 GAME", "FINAL CHALLENGE"?) or excluded,  let the contestant pick what goes up next, and work in a statement about the chosen games becoming more difficult on higher prize levels.

Who knows, it might help...[/quote]
Actually, I like the idea of taking 5th Grader's syndicated formula (attach each game to a money amount based on difficulty), and let the contestant pick their order....and at the end, let them play a bonus stunt to multiply their winnings.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.