Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NAQT High School National Championship  (Read 6064 times)

Jeremy Nelson

NAQT High School National Championship
« on: May 24, 2010, 03:48:39 PM »
I'm on the staff for NAQT's High School National Championship this coming weekend in Chicago- Is anybody else from this forum going to be there attending/staffing? It'd be great to meet any of you!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 03:51:10 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

vtown7

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 09:51:01 PM »
While I won't be at the NAQT tourney, I had the pleasure a couple of weeks ago to be on the staff at the Reach for the Top Ontario Provincial championships.  The kids were great, very entertaining and our playoffs provided many exciting moments.  In fact there are a couple of teams who didn't make it through the Provincials that are playing at NAQT.  Jeremy please say hi to the kids from Lisgar CI if they are indeed there!

I am looking forward to being on staff at the Nationals this coming weekend as well.

Ryan.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 10:08:01 PM »
Sidebar: so, let's say you're a teacher who wants to start a quiz bowl team.  What course of action do you recommend?
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

brianhenke

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 10:10:49 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'241380\' date=\'May 24 2010, 09:51 PM\']While I won't be at the NAQT tourney, I had the pleasure a couple of weeks ago to be on the staff at the Reach for the Top Ontario Provincial championships.  The kids were great, very entertaining and our playoffs provided many exciting moments.  In fact there are a couple of teams who didn't make it through the Provincials that are playing at NAQT.  Jeremy please say hi to the kids from Lisgar CI if they are indeed there!

I am looking forward to being on staff at the Nationals this coming weekend as well.

Ryan.[/quote]

I might be biased, but one-time (February 2008) Jeopardy! Teen Tournament champion Rachel Horn is scheduled to be one of the members of the team at Walnut Hills High School in Cincinnati.

Brian
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 07:44:21 AM by brianhenke »
The leaves start to change color in May?

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 10:18:06 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'241380\' date=\'May 24 2010, 08:51 PM\']While I won't be at the NAQT tourney, I had the pleasure a couple of weeks ago to be on the staff at the Reach for the Top Ontario Provincial championships.  The kids were great, very entertaining and our playoffs provided many exciting moments.  In fact there are a couple of teams who didn't make it through the Provincials that are playing at NAQT.  Jeremy please say hi to the kids from Lisgar CI if they are indeed there!

Ryan.[/quote]
Looks like they're bringing two teams. (They're at the top of the list, no less!) I'll be sure to pass along the message, Ryan!

So Canadian Nationals are this weekend as well?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:18:41 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

vtown7

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:38:21 PM »
The crew from Lisgar is great.  They are a strong team and in 2008 won Reach for the Top Nationals - the same team they lost to for the Provincial championships they then beat - by 5 points - on a buzzer beater at nationals.

If you're interested to learn about reach, www.reachforthetop.com is your destination, and they've got a good presence on a certain social networking site.  In the provincial finals they were blogging consistently with score updates.

Twelve teams representing seven provinces* - should be a great championship!

Ryan.

*Saskatchewan isn't coming this year, PEI plays in the Nova Scotia league, and Newfoundland doesn't have any teams playing.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 12:36:58 AM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'241381\' date=\'May 24 2010, 10:08 PM\']Sidebar: so, let's say you're a teacher who wants to start a quiz bowl team.  What course of action do you recommend?[/quote]
Step One is probably to find out whether other schools in your area have quiz bowl teams, and if they do, speak to the teachers who run them.  Chances are that they probably already participate in some kind of league or other regular organized competition, which often is no more than students getting together in vacant classrooms after school to compete.  There's a lot more to organized quiz bowl competition than these high-end tournaments or local television programs.  Those nearby teachers would also know about area tournaments where your team can gain experience.  They could also advise you about things like recruiting players (the kids with the best grades are rarely the best players you can find) and finding question suppliers and equipment.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 03:39:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'241396\' date=\'May 25 2010, 12:36 AM\'][quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'241381\' date=\'May 24 2010, 10:08 PM\']Sidebar: so, let's say you're a teacher who wants to start a quiz bowl team.  What course of action do you recommend?[/quote]
Step One is probably to find out whether other schools in your area have quiz bowl teams, and if they do, speak to the teachers who run them.[/quote]
Adding on a lesson I learned last year after inquiring about starting a quiz bowl/Academic Challenge team at my school...  If you are unionized and there is nothing in the bargaining agreement about an academic team coach position, go no further.  ("If there's no pay scale listed, such a position doesn't exist" was what I was told.)  Apparently my district does not want to showcase their smartest...

tvmitch

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 07:57:19 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'241414\' date=\'May 25 2010, 03:39 PM\']Adding on a lesson I learned last year after inquiring about starting a quiz bowl/Academic Challenge team at my school...  If you are unionized and there is nothing in the bargaining agreement about an academic team coach position, go no further.  ("If there's no pay scale listed, such a position doesn't exist" was what I was told.)  Apparently my district does not want to showcase their smartest...[/quote]
Interesting. In PA, which is a unionized teacher state (do they go by state? at least all of our nearby schools have unions, my mom was the head of her union for awhile), most schools offer a stipend at the beginning of the year to the quiz bowl coach. It never comes close to a decent hourly wage for as much work that goes into it in most cases, of course.

Sir Matt's point earlier about the kids with the best grades not being the best players is apt. The well-rounded kids who may very well tilt towards nerds are great. Perhaps you could hold an after-school J!-type tournament, and have the kids group into teams for a quick round-robin play, and feeding them wouldn't hurt. You'd be able to spot the stars very quickly. Our leagues ran October-March, so you would have to do this very early in the school year if your league would run at the same time.

Media aren't a bad place to turn to locate activity in your area. Our local newspaper sponsors the main league and posts results.
You should follow me on Twitter

Thunder

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 11:55:56 PM »
Intelligent kids get shafted by a friggin' bargaining agreement and a union.

I know this is The Game Show Forum, but this is yet another reason why I dislike unions.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 12:16:53 AM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'241419\' date=\'May 25 2010, 04:57 PM\']Sir Matt's point earlier about the kids with the best grades not being the best players is apt. The well-rounded kids who may very well tilt towards nerds are great.[/quote]I hung out with the S-M-R-T crowd during school, and yet whenever we were at a party and a trivia game is put on the table, suddenly everyone wants to be on my team. Quiz bowl is more than just getting good marks, there's also being able to assimilate huge chunks of information into what you want; having the reflexes to buzz when you think you'll know it, and a desire to learn lots and lots of stuff.

Most of the crowd I hung out with were doing things like band/choir, drama and other stuff. I was in the library with some like minded friends who liked this sort of thing, pawing through material and pounding the bejeezus out of my Quizzard.

[quote name=\'Thunder\' post=\'241426\' date=\'May 25 2010, 08:55 PM\']I know this is The Game Show Forum, but this is yet another reason why I dislike unions.[/quote]Find me offline and we'll have some words about unions. :)
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 12:22:56 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'241429\' date=\'May 26 2010, 12:16 AM\']having the reflexes to buzz when you think you'll know it[/quote]Which is why I would never consider myself a good quiz/game show contestant (most of my adrenaline is of the "flight" variety).  I was good at the math competitions, though.

[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'241429\' date=\'May 26 2010, 12:16 AM\'][quote name=\'Thunder\' post=\'241426\' date=\'May 25 2010, 08:55 PM\']I know this is The Game Show Forum, but this is yet another reason why I dislike unions.[/quote]Find me offline and we'll have some words about unions. :)[/quote]So, uh, how bout that Law & Order? ;-)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:23:14 AM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 01:19:27 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'241429\' date=\'May 26 2010, 12:16 AM\'][quote name=\'Thunder\' post=\'241426\' date=\'May 25 2010, 08:55 PM\']I know this is The Game Show Forum, but this is yet another reason why I dislike unions.[/quote]Find me offline and we'll have some words about unions. :)
[/quote]
<litella>Why all this dispute over onions?  Onions go great on lots of things--hamburgers, hot dogs, subs, pizzas.  And how can you not like onion rings?</litella>

/I'm old.
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

J.R.

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 02:16:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'241430\' date=\'May 25 2010, 11:22 PM\']So, uh, how bout that Law & Order? ;-)[/quote]
Jack McCoy for president.
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 03:05:17 AM »
[quote name=\'bscripps\' post=\'241432\' date=\'May 25 2010, 10:19 PM\']<litella>Why all this dispute over onions?  Onions go great on lots of things--hamburgers, hot dogs, subs, pizzas.  And how can you not like onion rings?</litella>[/quote]
"...Never mind."

/well played, sir
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe