Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trust Me... I'm a Game Show Host Info  (Read 5696 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Trust Me... I'm a Game Show Host Info
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 10:04:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'240843\' date=\'May 13 2010, 06:49 PM\']In terms of success, I don't know that you could say the same about The Singing Bee.[/quote]Just because I'm here, I would say that if you were to stack up Singing Bee against ...the Lyrics, I would go with the show with 1/20th the top prize of the other, in terms of how fun the game was. That it was unsuccessful says more about the American television viewing public. :)
Travis L. Eberle

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 11:12:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'240843\' date=\'May 13 2010, 09:49 PM\'][quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'240839\' date=\'May 13 2010, 09:05 PM\']It'll have to wait in line until The Singing Bee gets its turn.[/quote]Dan's point did seem to be that a prime time show couldn't be successful without a ginormous prize. Wipeout is an excellent example to refute that argument. In terms of success, I don't know that you could say the same about The Singing Bee.[/quote]
Not really, Matt. For one, Wipeout airs in the Summer, when viewing figures are generally lower. Besides that, the point of that show seems to be "Laughing At People Getting Hurt".

As for my "point" that a primetime show would not last long without a six-figure prize, that was part-sarcasm. If the game is good/fun, the prize budget should not matter...unless the game is crazy-cheap (You're going home our champion with $500!) and/or the difficulty is higher than the prize (e.g., I'm not spending X amount of time solving genius-level mental puzzles of varying sorts for a mere $1,200); the difficulty is high, so the prize should be high. I'm not talking about You Can't Win-level difficulty, because then they could offer Fort Knox and not worry about actually having to give it away.

As for easy games offering big money...well, I'm not complaining unless they spend too much freakin' time (such as two hours) on a single contestant.

/Thinks his mother should have been paid for watching nearly every episode of The Crosswords-Temptation Hour.
//...Crap that she freely, and happily, watched.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 03:39:03 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 02:48:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'240862\' date=\'May 14 2010, 11:12 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'240843\' date=\'May 13 2010, 09:49 PM\'][quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'240839\' date=\'May 13 2010, 09:05 PM\']It'll have to wait in line until The Singing Bee gets its turn.[/quote]Dan's point did seem to be that a prime time show couldn't be successful without a ginormous prize. Wipeout is an excellent example to refute that argument. In terms of success, I don't know that you could say the same about The Singing Bee.[/quote]
Not really, Matt. For one, Wipeout airs in the Summer, when viewing figures are generally lower. Besides that, the point of that show seems to be "Laughing At People Getting Hurt".
[/quote]
ABC keeps bringing the show back, and it starts its third season next month. I would call that a success, esp. when you consider how many other summer shows have not made it to the following summer ("Wanna Bet?" comes to mind).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:26:31 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

J.R.

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 05:39:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'240862\' date=\'May 14 2010, 10:12 AM\']Besides that, the point of that show seems to be "Laughing At People Getting Hurt".[/quote]
CarShark, is that you?
-Joe Raygor

NickS

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 08:50:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'240862\' date=\'May 14 2010, 10:12 AM\']Not really, Matt. For one, Wipeout airs in the Summer, when viewing figures are generally lower. Besides that, the point of that show seems to be "Laughing At People Getting Hurt".[/quote]

Generally, yes, the HUT is lower - but tell me why, Dan, are network programmers putting first-run shows on?  They don't treat the year like it's completely a 3.5-book race (the half IMO is July) anymore.

For your second sentence, The Weakest Link and America's Funniest Home Videos would like to have words with you.  Quite frankly, if you'd stop yourself this wouldn't become an Airplane!-like slapping line.

As for my "point" that a prime time show would not last long without a six-figure prize, that was partly sarcasm.

Either my sarcasm detector needs to go to Pep Boys or you don't know how sarcasm works.  Want to defend this, then?

but I think it's a bit too cheap for primetime.

So you're "sarcastic" about shows not lasting long without a six-figure prize but now Trust Me is a bit too cheap?  Pick a lane and go with it.  You've done this before; my wish is you'd learn from your mistakes because this will keep on being pointed out until you do.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 09:28:40 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'240884\' date=\'May 14 2010, 02:39 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'240862\' date=\'May 14 2010, 10:12 AM\']Besides that, the point of that show seems to be "Laughing At People Getting Hurt".[/quote]CarShark, is that you?[/quote]Except he's kinda sorta right. We're not really watching Wipeout caring overmuch about who wins the $50,000; we want to see people taking a header off the big balls and so on. The show plays this up, because they know what people want. By the time the competition has reached the Wipeout Zone, the hosts cut out the poking of fun and call the contest straight, and this is accompanied by the fire bits and the tense music. But we came for people falling into mud and stuff.

[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'240739\' date=\'May 12 2010, 10:55 AM\']It sounds pretty bland in my opinion, but hey. Stranger things have been greenlit.[/quote]I don't think the problem is that the game is bland, after all, we'll see what the questions and stuff are if it makes it to series. I'm not keen on the idea of Double-or-Not Double in the bonus round when the player already has $25,000 in pocket. I fondly remember the days when a champion had less than a thousand dollars in hand before getting to the bonus game du jour. "Aw, you didn't win the extra $25,000" doesn't really pack that much of a punch.

[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'240741\' date=\'May 12 2010, 11:11 AM\']Sounds like a rip-off of "Runaround."[/quote]This just goes to show what generations we're from, but I had Better Sex/Ultra Quiz/Singled Out/That Dopey Green Network Game Show thing on my card.
Travis L. Eberle

NickS

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 08:36:53 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'240894\' date=\'May 14 2010, 08:28 PM\']This just goes to show what generations we're from, but I had Better Sex/Ultra Quiz/Singled Out/That Dopey Green Network Game Show thing on my card.[/quote]

THIS.  Was thinking whether or not we'll see giant Xs and Os to split the people up.  And thanks for the compliment on the pinball idea.  Of course, it's the pin that had a wizard mode that resembled Beat the Devil that had scores in the BILLIONS as a norm.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:37:12 AM by TeppanYaki »

LetsGoMets2003

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 02:02:46 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'240739\' date=\'May 12 2010, 01:55 PM\']Stranger things have been greenlit.[/quote]

Yeah....GSN let that million dollar cat game show on the air, and still no Million Dollar Pyramid...Hmmm. Thanks, Chad.

(PS: Back after a long sabbatical. Since one of the head mods asked politely, I'll try not to mention my MDA work at all, even in "Behind The Scenes" - wouldn't want to veer things off-topic. Frankly, I'm mildly surprised I wasn't banned and that no one complained, since 99% of other message boards will ban you for what I did.)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 02:17:56 AM by LetsGoMets2003 »