Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sale of the Century home game question  (Read 1910 times)

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
Sale of the Century home game question
« on: June 09, 2010, 03:32:43 AM »
I know that subject line might seem a little odd given who's asking, but...

Many copies of the game's question book have an ad in the back for supplemental question books (I wish I'd sent off for 'em when I was a kid).  Does anyone in our little mob happen to have any of these supplemental books?
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 11:38:11 AM »
Interesting, this is something I'm not familiar with.  I assume you're speaking of the 1980s version, the one with the Quizzard?

One of the Holy Grails of my collection it to find Concentration Puzzle Roll #3 from 1960.  It was sold by mail after the release of the Second Edition.  Milton Bradley quickly realized they'd make more money by just selling entire new editions, even though the puzzle roll was the only thing that really ever needed to change.  Still, that's why your puzzle roll numbers don't match your edition numbers in your old Concentration games.

Today's fun fact from the [badly in need of an update] GSHGHP.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Sodboy13

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 12:05:32 PM »
I, too, have regrets of not ordering away for the additional question books when I was a kid.

But you'd think that if said books were ever actually published, you'd have seen at least one pop up every now and again on eBay, either on its own or in the box with a used copy of the game.  Never seen it.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

joker316

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 03:35:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'242149\' date=\'Jun 9 2010, 11:38 AM\']One of the Holy Grails of my collection it to find Concentration Puzzle Roll #3 from 1960.  It was sold by mail after the release of the Second Edition.  Milton Bradley quickly realized they'd make more money by just selling entire new editions, even though the puzzle roll was the only thing that really ever needed to change.  Still, that's why your puzzle roll numbers don't match your edition numbers in your old Concentration games.

Today's fun fact from the [badly in need of an update] GSHGHP.[/quote]
I remember seeing one in the original box on ebay years ago. I would have bid, but by the time I saw it , it was up to $30.00!!

/couldn't sneak that past "The Lovely Susan" on my best day!!!
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

MyronMMeyer

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:33:19 PM »
I think I had a box of the Sale of the Century questions, but they got purged in the great "I'm gonna drop off these three giant boxes of trivia games at Salvation Army after my divorce. There's no way I'll regret it later." purge of 2003.

No help at all, I'm sure.

-M
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:38:30 PM by MyronMMeyer »

GameShowGuru

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 04:54:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'242149\' date=\'Jun 9 2010, 11:38 AM\']One of the Holy Grails of my collection it to find Concentration Puzzle Roll #3 from 1960.  It was sold by mail after the release of the Second Edition.  Milton Bradley quickly realized they'd make more money by just selling entire new editions, even though the puzzle roll was the only thing that really ever needed to change.  Still, that's why your puzzle roll numbers don't match your edition numbers in your old Concentration games.

Today's fun fact from the [badly in need of an update] GSHGHP.[/quote]

I kinda lucked out on something to this effect: I bought a 10th edition Jeopardy! game from a thrift store, and not only did it have the tenth edition answers and questions, but also answers and questions from about 6-7 other editions included as well.  Whoever had it before I did probably thought it would be more efficient to ditch all the excess plastic and stick to having one game board with dollar amounts and just "consolidate" all the answers and questions into one box.

comicus

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 11:20:22 PM »
I once managed to find the add-on question deck for Quizzard (still have it), but never had the extra Sale booklets.