Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New "Pyramid" Pilot Tape Date Now Set...  (Read 58404 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
New "Pyramid" Pilot Tape Date Now Set...
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2010, 01:09:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'242897\' date=\'Jun 23 2010, 04:33 PM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Game Show\' post=\'242880\' date=\'Jun 23 2010, 10:25 AM\']Ask Bob Stewart. The show worked just fine without showing an audience for many years.[/quote]If Bob Stewart could have gotten away without having an audience, he would have.  Also, that story about WoF having 7 people in the audience comes to mind.[/quote]

Amazing how they sounded like more than seven.  :)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

itiparanoid13

« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2010, 02:21:59 PM »
Info here.  Basically just three games an hour.  Two games for $10,000 in the Circle and the two winners play for a shot at $25,000.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 02:24:41 PM by itiparanoid13 »

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2010, 02:49:50 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'242967\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 01:21 PM\']Info here.  Basically just three games an hour.  Two games for $10,000 in the Circle and the two winners play for a shot at $25,000.[/quote]
That's probably the best format for an hour show- it's not complicated at all.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

chad1m

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2010, 03:02:01 PM »
I'm absolutely glad they're not messing with the "perfect game" format, even though Hollywood Junket could use a hand in streamlining their explanations and not make it sound so complicated. I just hope they keep the caliber of celebrities the same in each game or we walk into the problem with the early days of a contestant getting the screws because they only get one game and their partner sucks. I hate to be "that guy" but $10,000/$25,000 isn't really that impressive, unless they're combining it for a total of $35,000 and not $10,000 + $15,000 like traditionally. I think $25,000 + $25,000 would be sufficient. But if this is the only complaint I can muster from the description, I'll be happy to enjoy it if it comes to fruition.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 03:09:24 PM by chad1m »

tpirfan28

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2010, 03:04:28 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'242967\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 02:21 PM\']Basically just three games an hour.  Two games for $10,000 in the Circle and the two winners play for a shot at $25,000.[/quote]
I like this a lot.  It really wouldn't force the game along in such a way that there can't be some banter with the host, playing out the not-won Winner's Circle boxes, etc.  A guaranteed shot at $25,000 rocks as well...makes the assumed lack of a tournament for lotsa bucks kinda fall to the wayside.

Wasn't Aisha Tyler the gal who played against Shatner on Password?

/Proof someone gets it?  Betty White is one of your pilot celebrities.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2010, 03:11:14 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'242971\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 02:02 PM\']I'm absolutely glad they're now messing with the "perfect game" format, even though Hollywood Junket could use a hand in streamlining their explanations and not make it sound so complicated. I just hope they keep the caliber of celebrities the same in each game or we walk into the problem with the early days of a contestant getting the screws because they only get one game and their partner sucks. I hate to be "that guy" but $10,000/$25,000 isn't really that impressive, unless they're combining it for a total of $35,000 and not $10,000 + $15,000 like traditionally. I think $25,000 + $25,000 would be sufficient. But if this is the only complaint I can muster from the description, I'll be happy to enjoy it if it comes to fruition.[/quote]
Well considering that on a good day Deal gives out around $40K, Pyramid potentially giving out as much as $35K (or $45K, depending on the rules), is probably what CBS is looking for. It doesn't hurt that on a tough day at the Winner's Circle, they could be paying out as little as $2K-$3K plus a digicam or two. I don't mind the payoffs, especially if there are going to be returning champs....but we'll see what happens with that.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 03:11:38 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2010, 03:21:54 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'242972\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 03:04 PM\']Wasn't Aisha Tyler the gal who played against Shatner on Password?[/quote]
Yep.

Hollywood Junket's article makes it sound like the winning champ plays for an augmented $25,000. For inflation, I thought of the first two Winner's Circles being worth $20,000, then the final WC worth $30,000, for a total of $50K. But, it's not my money, and $25,000 is still good money for an hour's work, even if it is the same thing offered from 28 years ago. ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2010, 03:31:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'242970\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 02:49 PM\']That's probably the best format for an hour show- it's not complicated at all.[/quote]
I can't think of a better one, but if the game's now one-and-out, like it was for losers in the old $10K and $20K varieties, then it sucks to get burdened with the weaker celebrity.  What's more, if the winners of the first two games both did it with the same celebrity, then it's even more of a suck for one of them to be forced to play game three with the doofus.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2010, 03:32:55 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'242975\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 03:21 PM\']Hollywood Junket's article makes it sound like the winning champ plays for an augmented $25,000. For inflation, I thought of the first two Winner's Circles being worth $20,000, then the final WC worth $30,000, for a total of $50K. But, it's not my money, and $25,000 is still good money for an hour's work, even if it is the same thing offered from 28 years ago. ;-)[/quote]
Considering that LMAD's Big Deal tends to be in the low 20's and TPIR's Showcases tend to be in the 20's or low 30's, this seems right in line.

I love how having the players stand up is supposed to make the show more modern.  What a load of crap.
This signature is currently under construction.

Pyramid80

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2010, 03:53:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'242977\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 02:32 PM\']I love how having the players stand up is supposed to make the show more modern.  What a load of crap.[/quote]
I think a lot of people probably feel the same way.  I know I do....but can easily get over that as long as the game play is left pretty much intact.  Judging is what I worry about with a revival.

BrandonFG

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2010, 03:58:22 PM »
I don't mind the standing vs. sitting, I just don't understand why Davies feels it's completely necessary. Either way, I can live with it, it's just an odd change.

The other thing that sounds weird is that the Junket critique says there's no physical pyramid on the stage. Even though it's irrelevant, why does that just sound so wrong for a show with "Pyramid" in its title? ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2010, 04:19:16 PM »
I appreciate the format staying sensible, but the whole "people standing up" thing is bound to cause problems. Considering how depraved some people are, and how douchey they'll act on national television, I'm scared that somebody will do something that will show why we had desks and chairs in the first place -- "Jerk", for example.

And then, of course, there's the whole "judging" factor. If it's going to be like the 1996-97 attempts and Donnymid, I want no part of it.

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'242976\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 03:31 PM\']if the game's now one-and-out, like it was for losers in the old $10K and $20K varieties, then it sucks to get burdened with the weaker celebrity. What's more, if the winners of the first two games both did it with the same celebrity, then it's even more of a suck for one of them to be forced to play game three with the doofus.[/quote]
The worst part is that the producers can partner the great contestants with the moronic celebrities so they can save money.

The new set, [Michael Davies] stated, is without an actual physical pyramid. Producers chose to display the pyramid via seven surrounding screens. That new feature, along with “bringing the show to it’s feet” (contestants and celebrities stand rather than sitting) is what he explained has entered PYRAMID the 21st century.
What? You talk about keeping the format because it was perfection, but you change the set even though it was perfection, too?

You didn't need to overhaul the set to bring the show into the 21st Century, Davies -- you altered it a bit for last year's attempts, and it was awesome because it looked like Pyramid. Really, I'm trying to picture how you're doing "seven surrounding screens" and people standing up throughout, and I'm getting "Remote Control's Wheel Of Jeopardy meets My Generation's bonus round". And then there's the whole people-standing-up-are-more-likely-to-be-vulgar-in-their-descriptions thing I touched on above.

I applaud your sticking to what worked format-wise (I hope; that description is a bit weird), but...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:40:13 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Jay Temple

« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2010, 04:34:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242982\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 03:19 PM\']What? You talk about keeping the format because it was perfection, but you change the set even though it was perfection, too?[/quote]
That's my reaction to the main game. What was wrong with total score over three rounds? (I'm hoping the writer just did a bad job of describing it.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BrandonFG

« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2010, 04:35:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242982\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 04:19 PM\']The people standing up presents a myriad of problems -- considering how depraved some people are, and how douchey they'll act on national television, I'm scared that somebody will do something that will show why we had desks and chairs in the first place. "Jerk", for example.[/quote]
Dude, get a grip. It's an odd change but it's a change that does nothing to do with the gameplay. Not everything has the potential to offend your beliefs, and that card is getting old. I understand you're more conservative, but you don't need to reach so far to constantly remind us either.

The worst part is that the producers can partner the great contestants with the moronic celebrities so they can save money.
And just exactly how do we know who's moronic when the show hasn't even started? Why would a producer intentionally book a celebrity who's dumb as a box of rocks? That's just begging for awful television.

The new set, [Michael Davies] stated, is without an actual physical pyramid. Producers chose to display the pyramid via seven surrounding screens. That new feature, along with “bringing the show to it’s feet” (contestants and celebrities stand rather than sitting) is what he explained has entered PYRAMID the 21st century.
What? You talk about keeping the format because it was perfection, but you change the set even though it was perfection, too?

You didn't need to overhaul the set to bring the show into the 21st Century, Davies -- you altered it a bit for last year's attempts, and it was awesome because it looked like Pyramid. Really, I'm trying to picture how you're doing "seven surrounding screens" and people standing up throughout, and I'm getting "Remote Control's Wheel Of Jeopardy meets My Generation's bonus round". And then there's the whole people-standing-up-are-more-likely-to-be-vulgar-in-their-descriptions thing I touched on above.

Where's the warm, homely atmosphere that helped make Pyramid so fun to watch? And why did you get rid of it?
You miss the point. The show has three rounds of two teams giving 7 clues in 30 seconds, with the high-scoring team giving a list of items fitting a category, for a prize of $10-25K. None of those insipid "Pyramid Players". That's all I care about. I can live with the altered set, despite my crack earlier in the thread about it seeming wrong. The more this plays like Dick Clark's version, and less like Donny Osmond's (or the late-90s pilots), the happier I am, pyramid designs or not.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2010, 04:35:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242982\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 01:19 PM\']blah blah good lord[/quote]
Whar is my Pyramid? WHAR?!?!?!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:36:11 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe