Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New "Pyramid" Pilot Tape Date Now Set...  (Read 56887 times)

chad1m

New "Pyramid" Pilot Tape Date Now Set...
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2010, 04:46:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'242983\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 04:34 PM\']What was wrong with total score over three rounds? (I'm hoping the writer just did a bad job of describing it.)[/quote]That's really what I think it is. I could be wrong but it sounds like we're playing the standard six category game, where instead of having a 7-11 or Mystery 7, the categories chosen third and fourth are worth a prize if all seven are gotten.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2010, 04:48:22 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'242984\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 04:35 PM\']Dude, get a grip. It's an odd change but it's a change that does nothing to do with the gameplay. Not everything has the potential to offend your beliefs, and that card is getting old. I understand you're more conservative, but you don't need to reach so far to constantly remind us either.[/quote]
I'm presenting a legitimate concern with having everybody stand -- censorship, editing, that sort of thing. No game show wants negative backlash, and chances are that some git will come on the show just to do something vulgar for the sake of attention. I hope I'm wrong.

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'242984\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 04:35 PM\']Why would a producer intentionally book a celebrity who's dumb as a box of rocks? That's just begging for awful television.[/quote]
So the audience can make fun of them, and the producers can save money?

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'242984\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 04:35 PM\']You miss the point. The show has three rounds of two teams giving 7 clues in 30 seconds, with the high-scoring team giving a list of items fitting a category, for a prize of $10-25K. None of those insipid "Pyramid Players". That's all I care about. I can live with the altered set, despite my crack earlier in the thread about it seeming wrong. The more this plays like Dick Clark's version, and less like Donny Osmond's (or the late-90s pilots), the happier I am, pyramid designs or not.[/quote]
You're right, man. Davies has the good sense to not screw with the format, which is nice to see. If this sells, I won't exactly be caring about the set anymore.

/Pyramid Rocks kept the classic format, too.
//But the pyramid designs were missing.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:48:57 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

chad1m

« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2010, 04:50:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242987\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 04:48 PM\']I hope I'm wrong.[/quote]The next time you have this feeling, please just remind yourself that you probably are and we can just skip the rigmarole and ibuprofen.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'242986\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 04:46 PM\']I could be wrong but it sounds like we're playing the standard six category game, where instead of having a 7-11 or Mystery 7, the categories chosen third and fourth are worth a prize if all seven are gotten.[/quote]
It makes sense to a degree to have Round 2 be the prize round, since that's when the role reversal would be.

Re: Standing v Sitting: If you're allowing gestures in the front game, then I'm all for letting them stand (and making them sit if there's no gesturing in the WC).  It's just when you say "Standing is modern" you sound like a strung-out pop artist.
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2010, 04:58:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242987\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 04:48 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'242984\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 04:35 PM\']Dude, get a grip. It's an odd change but it's a change that does nothing to do with the gameplay. Not everything has the potential to offend your beliefs, and that card is getting old. I understand you're more conservative, but you don't need to reach so far to constantly remind us either.[/quote]
I'm presenting a legitimate concern with having everybody stand -- censorship, editing, that sort of thing. No game show wants negative backlash, and chances are that some git will come on the show just to do something vulgar for the sake of attention. I hope I'm wrong.
[/quote]
The show has people above them to report to. So the moment, some git lives up to your mortal fear, and tries something inappropriate, there is the chance they get yanked off the show. I mean, the contestants stood on Million Dollar Password, and I don't remember any inappropriate clue-giving there, although there was The Mosher Incident that never aired*.

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'242984\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 04:35 PM\']
Why would a producer intentionally book a celebrity who's dumb as a box of rocks? That's just begging for awful television.
So the audience can make fun of them, and the producers can save money?
[/quote]
Huh? When I see someone like William Shatner struggle to get three out of five words, I facepalm. Incompetence can be funny on Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader because the show is set up in that manner. On a show like Pyramid, it's painful. A producer is not going to book a horrible celebrity to intentionally screw the contestants. They might make the material more difficult (Messages Written on a Cave Wall), but that's a bit different.

*I keed. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chad1m

« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2010, 05:15:37 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'242990\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 04:58 PM\']although there was The Mosher Incident that never aired.[/quote]Dammit, for the last time, I told Phil to "duck my clock" - he was in the way and I couldn't see my 1:30!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2010, 05:23:26 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'242993\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 05:15 PM\']I couldn't see my 1:30![/quote]
Did you reschedule?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:23:46 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2010, 05:25:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242982\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 03:19 PM\']The worst part is that the producers can partner the great contestants with the moronic celebrities so they can save money.\[/quote]
Back in the day, Pyramid did a pretty good job of weeding out the bad celebrities (save Tom Poston). I'm hoping they do the same now, but we've still gotta hope this thing airs in the first place. Let me not get too ahead of myself here.

I think the general consensus is that the standing may look....well, just plain awkward. But hey, Squares did it just fine, and Password wasn't bad, either.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2010, 06:05:38 PM »
Messrs. Foster-Gray, Lemon, and Mosher, please step forward and receive your Cookie of Merit.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2010, 06:11:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'242995\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 05:25 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242982\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 03:19 PM\']The worst part is that the producers can partner the great contestants with the moronic celebrities so they can save money.\[/quote]
Back in the day, Pyramid did a pretty good job of weeding out the bad celebrities (save Tom Poston). I'm hoping they do the same now, but we've still gotta hope this thing airs in the first place. Let me not get too ahead of myself here.

I think the general consensus is that the standing may look....well, just plain awkward. But hey, Squares did it just fine, and Password wasn't bad, either.
[/quote]
Hey, if it works, maybe Davies can freshen up WWTBAM by taking away the chairs.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2010, 06:14:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'242997\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 03:11 PM\']Hey, if it works, maybe Davies can freshen up WWTBAM by taking away the chairs.[/quote]It'll now be "next in the hot...area of game play, so-and-so."
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2010, 06:27:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242987\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 03:48 PM\']I'm presenting a legitimate concern with having everybody stand -- censorship, editing, that sort of thing. No game show wants negative backlash, and chances are that some git will come on the show just to do something vulgar for the sake of attention. I hope I'm wrong.[/quote]Examples?  Is there a precedent for such a thing?  

[quote name=\'Dan88\']So the audience can make fun of them, and the producers can save money?[/quote]If the producers want to save money, they should book you as a contestant.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

NickS

« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242987\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 03:48 PM\']I'm presenting a legitimate concern with having everybody stand -- censorship, editing, that sort of thing. No game show wants negative backlash, and chances are that some git will come on the show just to do something vulgar for the sake of attention. I hope I'm wrong.[/quote]
You're wrong, and here's why:  Do you actually think that Davies, et al., are going to let a pantsless contestant go on Pyramid?  Quite frankly, your concern is as illegitimate as a baby on a Maury paternity show.  I haven't seen a reach like that since that try during the Isner-Mahut match at Wimbledon.

Davies has the good sense to not screw with the format, which is nice to see. If this sells, I won't exactly be caring about the set anymore.

So he has the good sense to not screw with the format yet you're bringing up a "legitimate" complaint about standing?  To comment to that and answer Chris' post:

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'242985\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 03:35 PM\']Whar is my Pyramid? WHAR?!?!?![/quote]

at the same time, I present said doppleganger to WHAR.

/if we're talking shapes in this thread, remember to eat a square meal each day

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2010, 08:44:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242982\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 01:19 PM\']Considering how depraved some people are, and how douchey they'll act on national television,[/quote] Do you think this is the first chance for someone to be a dipstick on a game show?
"I'll bid $420.00, Bob!"
"I'd LIKE to buy A vowel!"
"Let's make it a non-fictional Daily Double."
"$218,000 is NOT ENOUGH! NO DEAL!"
"I am not smarter than a fifth grader."

And that's just from the last two years.

I'm scared that somebody will do something that will show why we had desks and chairs in the first place -- "Jerk", for example.
Do you know what I do when people are asshats in my home? Of course you don't, you don't live here. I say, "Hey, not cool. Cut it out." And if they do, life goes on. If not, I kick them out. Mumsy is no longer allowed to enter Casa de Trav because she thought that being invited in my home meant she got to snoop in my kitchen. It didn't.

And then, of course, there's the whole "judging" factor. If it's going to be like the 1996-97 attempts and Donnymid, I want no part of it.
NO SIR! BY GAWD, YOU WILL WATCH THIS WONDERFUL GLORIOUS GAME SHOW AND ENJOY IT! WE HAVE WAYS OF MAKING YOU ENJOY IT!"

The worst part is that the producers can partner the great contestants with the moronic celebrities so they can save money.
This is where I'd be willing to cut the show a whole lot of slack. If you just pretend that the most recent version of Pyramid was a mulligan, we haven't had it in about 20 years. That means we have a generation of celebrities that haven't played the game. Who knew if LeVar Burton or Teresa Ganzel would have been such stellar mainstays after their first week? The good players will be invited back, the lunkheads won't.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2010, 08:53:08 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'243005\' date=\'Jun 24 2010, 07:44 PM\']Who knew if LeVar Burton or Teresa Ganzel would have been such stellar mainstays after their first week? The good players will be invited back, the lunkheads won't.[/quote]
I'm not against them bringing back good celeb players from back in the day who still may have some sort of social recognition: LeVar Burton, Vicki Lawrence.....that's all I got...can anybody else think of celebs who may fit the mold? Outside of the Pyramid blitzkrieg, I dunno how good a player Billy Crystal was, and I remember Letterman being a celeb player, but don't know how good he was either.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.