Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Television awards poll  (Read 1626 times)

gromit82

Television awards poll
« on: June 16, 2010, 03:00:30 AM »
The rec.arts.tv newsgroup is holding their annual poll now for the best and worst in television, known as the Ratty Awards. (The nominations stage is going on now, and there will later be a final round to select the winners from among the nominees.)

The Ratty Awards have a single category to cover both "reality" and "game" programs. Anyone interested in submitting nominations to the Rattys should check out the ballot at http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.tv...fa2cdc2b2fc8ca3 for voting information.

Personally, I ranked my choices for Best Reality/Game Program as follows:
(3 points): JEOPARDY!
(2 points): THE MONEY LIST
(1 point): WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE

If anyone else votes in the Rattys, I'd be interested to know which shows you rank in the category.

Jimmy Owen

Television awards poll
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 06:35:11 AM »
That group is too focused on sci-fi to be a true representation.  Besides, they look at the game genre with disdain, even if the shows are good.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:35:54 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

Television awards poll
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 08:34:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'242552\' date=\'Jun 16 2010, 06:35 AM\']Besides, they look at the game genre with disdain, even if the shows are good.[/quote]
I didn't even know that group was still around. When I used to frequent there about 7 or 8 years ago, I noticed they looked at EVERY genre with disdain. Surly little bunch over there.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

Television awards poll
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:25:47 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'242554\' date=\'Jun 16 2010, 08:34 AM\']I didn't even know that group was still around.[/quote]
I'd be curious just how much of Usenet is truly active anymore.  With the constant march of technology, aren't 'newsreaders' a little quaint at this point?  And the Google interface leaves a little to be desired.  Plus, it would seem to me that trolls would gravitate to the few remaining active groups and mess around on them, though a quick check shows that some of those idiots continue to troll our original stomping grounds, where there is virtually no legitimate traffic anymore.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

gromit82

Television awards poll
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 11:25:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'242556\' date=\'Jun 16 2010, 09:25 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'242554\' date=\'Jun 16 2010, 08:34 AM\']I didn't even know that group was still around.[/quote]
I'd be curious just how much of Usenet is truly active anymore.  With the constant march of technology, aren't 'newsreaders' a little quaint at this point?  And the Google interface leaves a little to be desired.  Plus, it would seem to me that trolls would gravitate to the few remaining active groups and mess around on them, though a quick check shows that some of those idiots continue to troll our original stomping grounds, where there is virtually no legitimate traffic anymore.
[/quote]

Most of the posts on alt.tv.game-shows appear to be coming from a very small number of people who seem to be trolling not to see other people's outraged reactions, but just for its own sake. I really have to wonder whether those people are able to function in society, as opposed to just acting like they are mentally damaged.

But I think it's rare to see a newsgroup like alt.tv.game-shows which has such a high quantity of traffic with hardly any of it being legitimate. There are some mostly-spam groups, but they tend not to get much traffic at all.

Meanwhile, there are some newsgroups which are still able to maintain a reasonably stable amount of traffic with most of it remaining on topic, such as rec.games.trivia and rec.arts.comics.strips.

I wouldn't bet on the long-term viability of Usenet, but as long as Google continues to keep access available to it through Google Groups, Usenet does have a future -- at least, a near future.

geno57

Television awards poll
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 01:32:54 AM »
I thought I had read, just several weeks ago, that Usenet was going away entirely?  (Maybe I misread the article?  I've had a lot on my plate, and on my heart, in recent months.)

gromit82

Television awards poll
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 10:08:37 AM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'242618\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 12:32 AM\']I thought I had read, just several weeks ago, that Usenet was going away entirely?  (Maybe I misread the article?  I've had a lot on my plate, and on my heart, in recent months.)[/quote]

You may have read about one or more Internet service providers dropping support for Usenet, or about Duke University, where Usenet started, closing down its Usenet server. However, because Usenet is a distributed system, there's no one person or entity that has the ability to shut it down entirely.