The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Game Show Sets

<< < (2/2)

Neumms:

--- Quote ---I think the problem isn't so much darker sets as it is darker sets plus ill-defined, asymmetric sets.
--- End quote ---

Great point. To me, it's not a bad thing that Pyramid modernized the set. It's that they came up with such a dull, derivative one. (I think the same is true for the music. That it's modern doesn't bother me; the trouble is that it has no melody, unlike \"Millionaire.\")

Also, a dark set only works if it fits the game. It works on \"Millionaire\" and could work on \"Pyramid,\" but it was just plain wrong for Doug's TPIR and the Louie Anderson \"Feud.\"

clemon79:
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jun 22 2003, 11:44 AM\'] Great point. To me, it's not a bad thing that Pyramid modernized the set. It's that they came up with such a dull, derivative one. [/quote]

Spot on. I don't mind new sets. Heck, I ENJOY new sets. It's when the creativity that went into thenew set is nonexistent that I get annoyed.

--- Quote ---(I think the same is true for the music. That it's modern doesn't bother me; the trouble is that it has no melody, unlike \"Millionaire.\") 
--- End quote ---

\"Pyramid\" needs a fanfare. Again, you can redo the music all you like, but without the fanfare, it just isn't Pyramid.

--- Quote ---Also, a dark set only works if it fits the game. It works on \"Millionaire\" and could work on \"Pyramid,\"
--- End quote ---

It works in the Winner's Circle. The set and lighting for the front game should be light and airy, because it's not a deep, intense game...they're playing Word Charades, fer Pete's sake.

--- Quote ---it was just plain wrong for Doug's TPIR
--- End quote ---

Naw. I defend that set. Black floors do not a dark set make.

davidbod:
I've always thought US sets were very stuck in their ways - comparing the UK and US versions of Family Fortunes/Feud gives you a good comparison.

In a similar way, the UK is some way behind most of Europe (I'm mainly thinking Netherlands and Germany here) - particularly in the use of graphics, scoring displays, motorised elements and virtual elements.

David

DrJWJustice:
I agree, too, with the cyclical thing.  It bears pointing out that some older sets dated back to the days of B&W TV, so dramatic lighting is all they really had to make an effect.  Most of those sets used wood colours, since those translated best to the B&W format.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version