Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Need Some Help With Pyramid-Type Parody  (Read 6862 times)

bwood

Need Some Help With Pyramid-Type Parody
« on: November 17, 2003, 10:04:18 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I produce a local, non-profit, low/no budget comedy show in my town and was thinking of doing a Pyramid type Winner's Circle spoof. Since we have no real "writers" and nobody but me on the "staff" is game show fluent, I need some help with a few things:

-A different title for the "show". We will not use "Pyramid" for obvious copyright reasons.

-Some crazy, hard, nearly impossible, and/or funny WC subjects. I think we're gonna pull an early pre 10K and have 10 subjects so it wont be an exact copy of the WC

-Any other suggestions on how to execute the skit

Credit will be given on-air if your ideas are used.

The show is as G/PG rated as it can get so nothing can be dirty.

Any help would be much obliged. Thanks A Million!

inturnaround

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 10:08:15 PM »
I don't see why you should need a new title for it. It seems you're parodying the show and that's protected. It's how Saturday Night Live can make fun of game shows like Jeopardy! and Family Feud and MadTV can go after TPiR. So, don't worry about a new name.

As for the rest, well, I'd have to think up some funny ideas. My brain needs some sugar before it'll give me funny.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

LA the DJ

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 10:29:45 PM »
Yeah, generally, as parody, you can get away with it. In 1998, the cable access show I was doing at the time did a redneck Family Feud sketch, and we used the show name, format, and music with no problems, which was actually one of our funnier skecthes. Nobody's gonna mess with a cable access production for the most part.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 10:44:49 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 08:04 PM\'] -A different title for the "show". We will not use "Pyramid" for obvious copyright reasons.
 [/quote]
 Call it "The $37 Trapezoid." People will get the joke easily enough.
-Some crazy, hard, nearly impossible, and/or funny WC subjects.
How about "Things Tom Cruise's Dentist Might Say?"

Oh, wait.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 11:07:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 10:44 PM\']
How about "Things Tom Cruise's Dentist Might Say?"

Oh, wait. [/quote]
Hey, Chris might be on to something here.

Maybe you could do something REALLY absurd like: "Things Tom Cruise's Left Toe Would Say" something like that !

Possibly OT: Anyone ever see the final episode of the $20K Pyramid ? They used some hillarious "Rejected" Catagories as a farewell.
-Joe R.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 11:08:18 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2003, 11:28:24 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 11:07 PM\']

Possibly OT: Anyone ever see the final episode of the $20K Pyramid ? They used some hillarious "Rejected" Catagories as a farewell.
-Joe R. [/quote]
 Hit SHows on NBC TV in 1980, in 2003 its Hit Shows on PAX TV(SUpermarket Sweep may be their highest rated show, and they didn't bother to make new episodes of it)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2003, 11:53:51 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 10:04 PM\'] Hi Everyone,
I produce a local, non-profit, low/no budget comedy show in my town and was thinking of doing a Pyramid type Winner's Circle spoof. Since we have no real "writers" and nobody but me on the "staff" is game show fluent, I need some help with a few things:

-A different title for the "show". We will not use "Pyramid" for obvious copyright reasons.

-Some crazy, hard, nearly impossible, and/or funny WC subjects. I think we're gonna pull an early pre 10K and have 10 subjects so it wont be an exact copy of the WC

-Any other suggestions on how to execute the skit

Credit will be given on-air if your ideas are used.

The show is as G/PG rated as it can get so nothing can be dirty.

Any help would be much obliged. Thanks A Million! [/quote]
 How about Triangle or Cylinder then?

Also, can't he use "Pyramide" or something--and have it fall under "parody fair use"?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

J.R.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 01:47:05 AM »
Hey, why don't you call it "The $12,000 Triangle" with Cick Dlark !

This is fun !
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Fedya

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2003, 09:31:03 AM »
How about "Jackie Rogers Jr.'s $100,000 Jackpot Wad"?  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2003, 11:47:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 07:31 AM\'] How about "Jackie Rogers Jr.'s $100,000 Jackpot Wad"?  :-) [/quote]
 Chocolate babies.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2003, 12:02:09 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 12:47 AM\'] Hey, why don't you call it "The $12,000 Triangle" with Cick Dlark !

This is fun !
-Joe R. [/quote]
 You don't even have to go to that much trouble.  "With your host, Clark Dick!"
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

uncamark

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2003, 09:16:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 12:02 PM\'][quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 12:47 AM\'] Hey, why don't you call it "The $12,000 Triangle" with Cick Dlark !

This is fun !
-Joe R. [/quote]
You don't even have to go to that much trouble.  "With your host, Clark Dick!"[/quote]
Well, Clark tells a story in one of his books about when he was doing a prime-time variety show on ABC in the late 50s on Saturday nights.  When they did a remote from Florida, the producer talked the Beech-Nut Gum people, the show's sponsor ("Dressed in green and made for a teen, Beech-Nut Spearmint Gum--it's FLAVOR-IFIC!"), to pay up to have two ad airplanes carry banners with Dick's name on them for the opening--one saying "DICK" and the other behind it saying "CLARK."  Unfortunately, the planes flew in the wrong order when the live telecast started and what the viewers saw was--"CLARK DICK."  The crew in the remote truck had a big laugh over that one.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2003, 11:00:29 PM »
If you're still working on the idea - here are six evil categories you would hate to have to guess or give clues to - starting from bottom left box-

1) Odd numbers between 1 and 307
2) Things not found in a bucket
3) Hit Tim Conway TV Shows -or- names of Seinfeld episodes
4) Words that can be spelled two ways (hire, higher)
5) Names of Miss America Runner-Ups
and the biggie at the top:
6) Middle Initials

and for the crude laugh, you could always go with - Things A Person with Tourette's Syndrome might say.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2003, 11:18:48 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 09:16 PM\'] Well, Clark tells a story in one of his books about when he was doing a prime-time variety show on ABC in the late 50s on Saturday nights.  When they did a remote from Florida, the producer talked the Beech-Nut Gum people, the show's sponsor ("Dressed in green and made for a teen, Beech-Nut Spearmint Gum--it's FLAVOR-IFIC!"), to pay up to have two ad airplanes carry banners with Dick's name on them for the opening--one saying "DICK" and the other behind it saying "CLARK."  Unfortunately, the planes flew in the wrong order when the live telecast started and what the viewers saw was--"CLARK DICK."  The crew in the remote truck had a big laugh over that one. [/quote]
I just had to bring up this Randy West gem from ATGS:
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 7 2000\']The great Bruce Burmester told me the funniest story about the years on
Pyramid when Dick Clark was host, and Jack Clark announced. Because both
gentlemen share the name Clark, the crew referred to them by first name
only. When it was time to cue the announcer to wrap the warm-up so they
could roll tape, the word from the booth was. "Get Dick out and Jack off"!
[/quote]
And Ol' Guy, don't forget the ultimate evil category:

WORDS THAT RHYME WITH "ORANGE"!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 11:19:31 PM by GS Warehouse »

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2003, 11:22:11 PM »
Door hinge?

(BUZZZZZZZZ!!!!)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 11:23:09 PM by The Ol' Guy »