Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How the Daytime Emmys should be improved.....  (Read 3056 times)

Winkfan

How the Daytime Emmys should be improved.....
« on: June 28, 2010, 06:16:57 PM »
Now I did not watch this year's Daytime Emmy show (consider myself lucky), but here's what I think whoever will produce the ceremony next year (IF there will be one), should do.

1.) They should split it up into two one-hour shows: one for the "soap opera awards," and later, one for the rest of daytime TV (game, talk, kids, etc.) Then fans of whichever genre they like would not have to sit through the awards of those they're not interested in.

2.) Move the ceremonies back to either New York or Hollywood.

3.) If the major networks aren't inertested, have them air on some cable channel like ABC Family or E!

Comments?

Cordially,
Tammy
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 06:43:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'243227\' date=\'Jun 28 2010, 05:16 PM\']2.) Move the ceremonies back to either New York or Hollywood.[/quote]Why is this important?
3.) If the major networks aren't inertested, have them air on some cable channel like ABC Family or E!
Did they air at all this year?  If so, what's the difference?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

catkins522

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 07:26:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'243227\' date=\'Jun 28 2010, 06:16 PM\']3.) If the major networks aren't inertested, have them air on some cable channel like ABC Family or E![/quote]

Well, last year, the CW did have the Daytime Emmys.  I should know.  I worked a couple hours just for the Emmys for a local station CW.

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

NickS

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 07:50:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'243227\' date=\'Jun 28 2010, 05:16 PM\']1.) They should split it up into two one-hour shows: one for the "soap opera awards," and later, one for the rest of daytime TV (game, talk, kids, etc.) Then fans of whichever genre they like would not have to sit through the awards of those they're not interested in.[/quote]

See, I just can't see it happening here - I don't think there's enough categories to justify the split and besides - if you're not going to watch an awards show because you have to slog through Best Country Artist or Best Gospel Album just to get to Artist of the Year, that's your decision.  This is a genre awards show; not a niche awards (although I guess an argument could be made there)...

To tangent on Mark - huh?  It was L.A. - is that supposed to tarnish the awards any?  Hell, it was at the Orpheum.

Now I did not watch this year's Daytime Emmy show (consider myself lucky), but here's what I think whoever will produce the ceremony next year (IF there will be one), should do.

And herein lies the problem - why are you making suggestions when you didn't even watch this year's show?  I'm not making suggestions because I feel I don't have the right to if I didn't sit through it.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 08:16:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'243227\' date=\'Jun 28 2010, 06:16 PM\']Now I did not watch this year's Daytime Emmy show (consider myself lucky), but here's what I think whoever will produce the ceremony next year (IF there will be one), should do.

1.) They should split it up into two one-hour shows: one for the "soap opera awards," and later, one for the rest of daytime TV (game, talk, kids, etc.) Then fans of whichever genre they like would not have to sit through the awards of those they're not interested in.[/quote]
To me that doesn't make too much sense. The primetime Emmys, Oscars, Grammys, etc. have several different categories, so why should the Daytime Emmys be different? I don't see the point of watching the show if you don't want to sit through certain awards. Giving soaps their own awards show don't remedy a subjective issue. And honestly, that sounds like an awful ratings gameplan, in that you'll lose even more people who could care less about Susan Lucci trying to win.

Besides, there was a soap awards show run by one of the soap mags that ran for a good 20 or so years. It aired on the networks, then moved to cable (I'm guessing SoapNet), and was canceled for good a few years ago. If it didn't work on a third-tier cable channel, I doubt it would work now.

Location makes no difference to me if the show is interesting.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:17:36 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 08:51:44 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'243233\' date=\'Jun 28 2010, 04:50 PM\']I'm not making suggestions because I feel I don't have the right to if I didn't sit through it.[/quote]If you don't vote, you don't get to complain.
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 09:19:13 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'243234\' date=\'Jun 28 2010, 07:16 PM\']Giving soaps their own awards show don't remedy a subjective issue.[/quote]
Wasn't there a separate awards show for soap operas for a while? I seem recall there was one sometime in the early 90s.

As for the topic, I think it's like complaining about reality results shows. If you really think a they're gonna get to the elimination reveal part any time before 9:59 PM, you deserve to have your time wasted. Simple as that.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:23:42 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 09:23:22 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'243237\' date=\'Jun 28 2010, 09:19 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'243234\' date=\'Jun 28 2010, 07:16 PM\']Giving soaps their own awards show don't remedy a subjective issue.[/quote]
Wasn't there a separate awards show for soap operas for a while? I seem recall there was one sometime in the early 90s.
[/quote]
Yep. I made a slight mention in my post, but Wiki says it ran from 1984-2005
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

J.R.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 10:50:47 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'243238\' date=\'Jun 28 2010, 08:23 PM\']Yep. I made a slight mention in my post, but Wiki says it ran from 1984-2005[/quote]
As a Dallas fan, I thought it was delightfully amusing to see J.R. Ewing own the "Outstanding Villain in a Prime Time Soap Opera" category for the first five years of the award's existence. :)

/Even if his character was severely weakened/watered down by the late 80s.
//Completely neutered in the short stint in the 90s.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:52:54 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 11:31:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'243227\' date=\'Jun 28 2010, 03:16 PM\']Then fans of whichever genre they like would not have to sit through the awards of those they're not interested in.[/quote]I'm sorry, "sit through"? That doesn't assimilate. I have this neat little button on my remote that allows me to blast forward through something I don't want to watch.
Travis L. Eberle

brianhenke

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 06:22:50 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'243238\' date=\'Jun 28 2010, 09:23 PM\'][quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'243237\' date=\'Jun 28 2010, 09:19 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'243234\' date=\'Jun 28 2010, 07:16 PM\']Giving soaps their own awards show don't remedy a subjective issue.[/quote]
[/quote]
Yep. I made a slight mention in my post, but Wiki says it ran from 1984-2005
[/quote]

There was another one, called the Soap Opera Update Awards (earlier known as the MVPs).

Brian
The leaves start to change color in May?