Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Final Jeopardy Filming  (Read 4257 times)

gameshowcrazy

Final Jeopardy Filming
« on: June 29, 2010, 09:31:42 AM »
Does anyone here know how long it takes during filming from the time the category is announced until they begin Final Jeopardy?  I know while watching it's about a seven minute break, but I imagine with S&P and checking all the bets it could take longer.

Just wondering.

Matt Ottinger

Final Jeopardy Filming
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:52:38 AM »
Theoretically, you're given all the time you need to make your wager.  Realistically, it's usually not much longer than what you see on TV.  Specifically, it takes just a few seconds for TPTB to come around to each podium and note the wagers.  

Jeopardy is one of those last few shows that actually strives to get a show recorded in as close to "real time" as possible.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

Final Jeopardy Filming
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 12:00:35 PM »
Jeopardy is one of those last few shows that actually strives to get a show recorded in as close to "real time" as possible.

Too bad more shows aren't done "live to tape" today.  I miss it!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

gameshowcrazy

Final Jeopardy Filming
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'243277\' date=\'Jun 29 2010, 12:00 PM\']

Too bad more shows aren't done "live to tape" today.  I miss it!
[/quote]

I agree...George Peppard's famous rant on Password Plus and Allen Ludden's explanation say it all...do you hear that Mark Burnett???

snowpeck

Final Jeopardy Filming
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 06:02:28 PM »
At the Jeopardy taping I attended a couple years ago it took pretty much 30 minutes to record an episode... and then they were done with it.  Even any pick-ups or edits were done during the stop-downs for commercial breaks.  (There were two at the taping I was at... Alex mispronounced something in a clue, and at another point the wrong clue was inadvertently revealed, so they recreated the board reveal.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 06:02:39 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Matt Ottinger

Final Jeopardy Filming
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 07:11:10 PM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'243300\' date=\'Jun 29 2010, 06:02 PM\'](There were two at the taping I was at... Alex mispronounced something in a clue, and at another point the wrong clue was inadvertently revealed, so they recreated the board reveal.)[/quote]
Yeah, that's a dirty little secret that I like to point out every so often.  Routinely, after the show is over, they'll have Alex re-read some of his clues because of a mispronunciation or just a bad read the first time.  That's how he comes across so flawlessly.  He's great, there's no question of that.  But as someone whose read-aloud goes out unedited, I can tell you there are many times I wish I could get a Take Two.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Final Jeopardy Filming
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 08:18:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'243303\' date=\'Jun 29 2010, 07:11 PM\'][quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'243300\' date=\'Jun 29 2010, 06:02 PM\'](There were two at the taping I was at... Alex mispronounced something in a clue, and at another point the wrong clue was inadvertently revealed, so they recreated the board reveal.)[/quote]
Yeah, that's a dirty little secret that I like to point out every so often.  Routinely, after the show is over, they'll have Alex re-read some of his clues because of a mispronunciation or just a bad read the first time.  That's how he comes across so flawlessly.  He's great, there's no question of that.  But as someone whose read-aloud goes out unedited, I can tell you there are many times I wish I could get a Take Two.
[/quote]
They have Meredith do the same thing after just about every Millionaire taping--or at least the ones during which she mispronounces or misreads something.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

opimus

Final Jeopardy Filming
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 09:37:43 PM »
I agree...George Peppard's famous rant on Password Plus and Allen Ludden's explanation say it all...do you hear that Mark Burnett???
[/quote]
Is that rant on Youtube?

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Final Jeopardy Filming
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 09:51:42 PM »
Is that rant on Youtube?
Sure is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqVYZDssgrU
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com