Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mill Creek's GS DVD sets at Big Lots  (Read 5763 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Mill Creek's GS DVD sets at Big Lots
« on: July 02, 2010, 05:03:39 PM »
While at the local Big Lots yesterday, I saw Mill Creek's releases of All-Star Family Feud, Password, and Match Game for $3 each.  These sets appear to have less episodes than the original BCI releases.  The Password box said it contained 3 DVDs while the BCI version had 4.  I'm pretty sure it was the same for the Family Feud set as well.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 05:38:38 PM »
I've seen TPIR as well, again with fewer eps.
@lambertman

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:01:16 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'243517\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 02:03 PM\']I'm pretty sure it was the same for the Family Feud set as well.[/quote]
That'd be weird. I have the (a?) Mill Creek version of the Feud set and it's 4 discs. Why would they put out a second SKU with less material?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:26:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'243527\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 08:01 PM\'][quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'243517\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 02:03 PM\']I'm pretty sure it was the same for the Family Feud set as well.[/quote]
That'd be weird. I have the (a?) Mill Creek version of the Feud set and it's 4 discs. Why would they put out a second SKU with less material?[/quote]
I said "pretty sure". ;-)  I glossed over the sets since I have all the BCI releases.  The Password set is definitely different--different cover, 3 DVDs compared to 4, and 2 less episodes vs. the BCI set.  The Match Game set looked to have fewer episodes and one less DVD as well.

calliaume

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 09:58:29 PM »
I'll have to look for All-Star Family Feud, but since it's been $8 at Half-Price Books, maybe better to stick with the original.  Already have the other two.

I just picked up two Mill Creak DVD boxes:  Victory at Sea and that four-disc Johnny Carson and a bunch of other '50s variety shows (it has no Tonight Show episodes) for $5 apiece at Wal-Mart; both seem pretty good.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 10:02:10 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'243529\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 09:26 PM\']I said "pretty sure". ;-)  I glossed over the sets since I have all the BCI releases.  The Password set is definitely different--different cover, 3 DVDs compared to 4, and 2 less episodes vs. the BCI set.  The Match Game set looked to have fewer episodes and one less DVD as well.[/quote]
Definitely true; I saw the same thing at our Big Lots.  They even have slightly different titles that sort of hint at being the "best of" the Best Of... collections.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 12:45:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'243535\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 10:02 PM\'][quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'243529\' date=\'Jul 2 2010, 09:26 PM\']I said "pretty sure". ;-) I glossed over the sets since I have all the BCI releases. The Password set is definitely different--different cover, 3 DVDs compared to 4, and 2 less episodes vs. the BCI set. The Match Game set looked to have fewer episodes and one less DVD as well.[/quote]Definitely true; I saw the same thing at our Big Lots. They even have slightly different titles that sort of hint at being the "best of" the Best Of... collections.[/quote]
...Oh. Well, I'm glad I didn't go out and buy the Match Game one, then. But it's nice to see that the Password box says "The CBS Years: 1961-1967" (the error on the BCI release cheeses me off a little every time I see it).
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

joshg

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 01:07:24 AM »
In snooping around on Swapadvd.com, on a lark I typed in 'Family Feud' and one of the responses was the Mill Creek DVDs. It's listed as having 43 episodes! Turns out, they're counting each game as one "episode" (1 hour long All-Star special = 3 games/"episodes"). Someone over at Mill Creek is drastically misinformed or just an idiot.

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 01:09:08 AM »
[quote name=\'joshg\' post=\'243593\' date=\'Jul 3 2010, 10:07 PM\']Someone over at Mill Creek is drastically misinformed or just an idiot.[/quote]
Well, I think it's how they broke them up on the discs, too, so if you go to "pick a chapter", you ultimately have 43 options. C'est la vie.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 07:18:51 PM »
I found that annoying, as it gave away the results of the two full games for those specials.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

bwood

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 12:19:32 PM »
Along with the other titles mentioned here, I found the "Game Show Moments Gone Bananas" set at Big Lots last night. One disc with all 5 episodes.

tvrandywest

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 01:15:12 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'243978\' date=\'Jul 12 2010, 09:19 AM\']Along with the other titles mentioned here, I found the "Game Show Moments Gone Bananas" set at Big Lots last night. One disc with all 5 episodes.[/quote]
More fun than a sponge bath with Bob Eubanks. Mail me the box, with a return envelope, and "Mr. Game Show" will autograph it... raising the e-bay value by about 50 cents   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

bwood

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Might have to take you up on that offer, Randy. I only paid $5 for it so $5.50 sounds like a good profit! :)

TimK2003

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 09:12:27 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\']More fun than a sponge bath with Bob Eubanks. Mail me the box, with a return envelope, and "Mr. Game Show" will autograph it... raising the e-bay value by about 50 cents ;-)[/quote]

[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'243993\' date=\'Jul 12 2010, 01:49 PM\']Might have to take you up on that offer, Randy. I only paid $5 for it so $5.50 sounds like a good profit! :)[/quote]

For a second there, I thought you were going for the sponge bath... :)

calliaume

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 09:45:13 PM »
[quote name='bwood' post='243978' date='Jul 12 2010, 09:19 AM']Along with the other titles mentioned here, I found the "Game Show Moments Gone Bananas" set at Big Lots last night. One disc with all 5 episodes.
More fun than a sponge bath with Bob Eubanks. Mail me the box, with a return envelope, and "Mr. Game Show" will autograph it... raising the e-bay value by about 50 cents   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]
Now available at Target for $5.  That autograph offer still good, Randy?