Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Turn your backs  (Read 6671 times)

toetyper

Turn your backs
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 04:34:27 PM »
side question; .     Am i correct in remembering that  nighttime wheel never  interrupted a puzzle w  ads if so was there a specific  reason
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:37:35 PM by toetyper »

trainman

Turn your backs
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 10:52:09 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'244029\' date=\'Jul 12 2010, 10:02 PM\'][quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'243958\' date=\'Jul 11 2010, 09:16 PM\'][quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'243957\' date=\'Jul 11 2010, 06:05 PM\']...since the days of the touch puzzle board players must step down and turn away from the board, just in case an answer would accidentally pop up.[/quote]

Same deal with "Jeopardy!"...
[/quote]

With "Jeopardy!", I think there was the added concern that one or more of the answers would accidentally pop up on the board.
[/quote]

Yes, I know.  (Emphasis added to my quote of vtown7)
trainman is a man of trains

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Turn your backs
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 11:07:46 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'244120\' date=\'Jul 14 2010, 01:34 PM\']side question; .     Am i correct in remembering that  nighttime wheel never  interrupted a puzzle w  ads if so was there a specific  reason[/quote]If there was, it would be to break up a long segment.
Travis L. Eberle

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Turn your backs
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 11:14:26 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'244163\' date=\'Jul 14 2010, 10:07 PM\'][quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'244120\' date=\'Jul 14 2010, 01:34 PM\']side question; .     Am i correct in remembering that  nighttime wheel never  interrupted a puzzle w  ads if so was there a specific  reason[/quote]If there was, it would be to break up a long segment.
[/quote]
"Never" is a pretty strong word, but I don't recall seeing one on nighttime WoF for any reason.

Sometimes NBC daytime shows would do that--put a short segment of a show in between commercial breaks.  I know HSq would come out of a break with Peter Marshall's "contestants who win 10 games/5 matches would win over $25,000 in prizes including these" spiel and Kenny Williams reading off a couple of those prizes then throwing it to another commercial.  Maybe it was a way to break up the commercial breaks.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:16:51 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Steve Gavazzi

Turn your backs
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 01:23:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'244030\' date=\'Jul 13 2010, 03:57 AM\']Art Flemming[/quote]
Is he related to Joe Nammath?

BrandonFG

Turn your backs
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 02:54:29 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'244164\' date=\'Jul 14 2010, 11:14 PM\']Sometimes NBC daytime shows would do that--put a short segment of a show in between commercial breaks.  I know HSq would come out of a break with Peter Marshall's "contestants who win 10 games/5 matches would win over $25,000 in prizes including these" spiel and Kenny Williams reading off a couple of those prizes then throwing it to another commercial.  Maybe it was a way to break up the commercial breaks.[/quote]
Was that more NBC or H-Q? I remember seeing it on an episode of Gambit as well.

With shows having more commercial time, I'm kinda surprised more shows don't do that nowadays...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

Turn your backs
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 03:02:45 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'244211\' date=\'Jul 15 2010, 02:54 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'244164\' date=\'Jul 14 2010, 11:14 PM\']Sometimes NBC daytime shows would do that--put a short segment of a show in between commercial breaks.  I know HSq would come out of a break with Peter Marshall's "contestants who win 10 games/5 matches would win over $25,000 in prizes including these" spiel and Kenny Williams reading off a couple of those prizes then throwing it to another commercial.  Maybe it was a way to break up the commercial breaks.[/quote]

With shows having more commercial time, I'm kinda surprised more shows don't do that nowadays...
[/quote]
NBC and CBS both did that on all their shows whether Bob Stewart, GT or H-Q at least pre-76.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Turn your backs
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 03:03:17 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'244211\' date=\'Jul 15 2010, 01:54 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'244164\' date=\'Jul 14 2010, 11:14 PM\']Sometimes NBC daytime shows would do that--put a short segment of a show in between commercial breaks.  I know HSq would come out of a break with Peter Marshall's "contestants who win 10 games/5 matches would win over $25,000 in prizes including these" spiel and Kenny Williams reading off a couple of those prizes then throwing it to another commercial.  Maybe it was a way to break up the commercial breaks.[/quote]
[/quote]
Can't say for sure.  I don't recall HIGH ROLLERS doing that.

Although now that Jimmy brings it up, I do recall CBS doing that with TATTLETALES.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:05:22 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

Turn your backs
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 03:16:07 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'244214\' date=\'Jul 15 2010, 03:03 PM\']Can't say for sure.  I don't recall HIGH ROLLERS doing that.

Although now that Jimmy brings it up, I do recall CBS doing that with TATTLETALES.[/quote]
I can vouch for HR...the episode at the MT&R has a mid-show break with Alex tossing to Kenny.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

Turn your backs
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 03:37:22 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'244214\' date=\'Jul 15 2010, 03:03 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'244211\' date=\'Jul 15 2010, 01:54 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'244164\' date=\'Jul 14 2010, 11:14 PM\']Sometimes NBC daytime shows would do that--put a short segment of a show in between commercial breaks.  I know HSq would come out of a break with Peter Marshall's "contestants who win 10 games/5 matches would win over $25,000 in prizes including these" spiel and Kenny Williams reading off a couple of those prizes then throwing it to another commercial.  Maybe it was a way to break up the commercial breaks.[/quote]
[/quote]
Can't say for sure.  I don't recall HIGH ROLLERS doing that.

Although now that Jimmy brings it up, I do recall CBS doing that with TATTLETALES.
[/quote]
That's correct.  That is where the fee plugs/ticket plugs would go.   MG,TT, TPIR, NYC Pyramid. etc. did not close with any fee plugs on CBS, yet you still saw the list of plugs when GSN reran them, but not the plugs themselves.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

Turn your backs
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 03:45:57 PM »
NBC and CBS both did that on all their shows whether Bob Stewart, GT or H-Q at least pre-76.

I don't think commercial breaks were ever more than one minute in daytime prior to 1976.  Maybe they had to do that to get a longer break in but not have more than one minute consecutive.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

Turn your backs
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »
That's correct. That is where the fee plugs/ticket plugs would go. MG,TT, TPIR, NYC Pyramid. etc. did not close with any fee plugs on CBS, yet you still saw the list of plugs when GSN reran them, but not the plugs themselves.

GSN never seemed to run fee plugs if they were a stand-alone segment.  In the beginning they usually ran them if they were included in the main body of the show.  Over time they began cutting some of these out as well.  The syndicated '70s Beat the Clock, and shows like Dating Game and Newlywed Game had their mid-show plugs cut after a while, so those were other shows where you saw them listed in the credits but didn't see the plugs themselves.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tvrandywest

Turn your backs
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 04:09:15 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'244164\' date=\'Jul 14 2010, 08:14 PM\']Sometimes NBC daytime shows would do that--put a short segment of a show in between commercial breaks.  I know HSq would come out of a break with Peter Marshall's "contestants who win 10 games/5 matches would win over $25,000 in prizes including these" spiel and Kenny Williams reading off a couple of those prizes then throwing it to another commercial.  Maybe it was a way to break up the commercial breaks.[/quote]
Quick answer (although none of my answers are ever quick!):

To counter attacks such as the one from FCC Commissioner Newton Minnow who called television a "vast wasteland," the National Association of Broadcasters instituted its NAB Code. Stations' adherence was voluntary, and it included delightful guidelines about commercials - everything from showing bras and girdles on manequins as opposed to humans, and the angle at which you could show the profile of a toilet. Total commercial time was part of the Code, and there were limits against the now-prevalent breaks that are long enough to raise a family. Returning to the show for a ticket plug or other similar content before rolling more spots was a way around those limits.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com