Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A question about Name That Tune reruns  (Read 2436 times)

JepMasta

A question about Name That Tune reruns
« on: July 14, 2010, 12:38:10 AM »
Hey guys. I've got a question I've been wanting to ask about NTT reruns

I understand the main reason why NTT can't be rerun on GSN (mainly ASCAP fees and negotiating with the bands musicians.)  However, I was watching vh1 a while back and they did a segment on NTT for one of their interminable I Love the 70s specials and they showed a few clips with the band playing AND playing one or two songs

What I want to know is, how could vh1 get away with that?  And if so, does this mean one day we could see NTT back on the air?

Thanks

Brian~

Jay Temple

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 12:42:22 AM »
A fuller explanation of why GSN can't air NTT reruns is that:
i. There are some song for which they can't get clearances.
ii. Even if every copyright holder went along, the combined cost of all those songs might be prohibitive.
So, it may be that they only needed a couple songs, and those two songs were doable within the budget.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:33:56 AM »
And that's where the issue of music game shows like NTT & Face the Music boils down to:  1) music clearences & 2) royalty fees(if any apply).  VH-1 can get away with that simply because it's a "music" channel(though that doesn't seem to be the case these days).  Who knows?  If the price is right, maybe we might get to see NTT on VH-1 though chances are rather slim at this point.

calliaume

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:38:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'244099\' date=\'Jul 14 2010, 02:33 AM\']And that's where the issue of music game shows like NTT & Face the Music boils down to:  1) music clearences & 2) royalty fees(if any apply).  VH-1 can get away with that simply because it's a "music" channel(though that doesn't seem to be the case these days).  Who knows?  If the price is right, maybe we might get to see NTT on VH-1 though chances are rather slim at this point.[/quote]
Only if the contestants are a bare-breasted housewife in her mid-40s and an over-the-hill rap star.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 10:39:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'244090\' date=\'Jul 14 2010, 12:42 AM\']A fuller explanation of why GSN can't air NTT reruns is that:
i. There are some song for which they can't get clearances.
ii. Even if every copyright holder went along, the combined cost of all those songs might be prohibitive.
So, it may be that they only needed a couple songs, and those two songs were doable within the budget.[/quote]
And even if they wanted to pick through the episodes to see what can or can't air, I think those old NTT shows are so far out of GSN's ratings/demographics scope that they wouldn't even think about making the effort.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 06:50:27 AM »
IIRC, MTV Networks actually bought the rights to produce a new NTT, but that appears to be an abandoned project.
@lambertman

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 02:33:52 PM »
Call Sandy Frank.  He'll get you a sweet deal on the reruns.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Otm Shank

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 01:57:04 AM »
As of February 2009, this was still optioned to Media Rights Capital, according to a highly placed source. Whether there was any development ongoing was not divulged to me.