Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel contestant rule  (Read 10847 times)

JepMasta

Wheel contestant rule
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 12:40:53 AM »
Eh, different strokes, for different folks.

I happen to love TVTropes...my personal favorite is the "Crowning Moment of Heartwarming" section in Troper Tales...it's just the thing for a quick pick-me-up if life is getting me down.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel contestant rule
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 01:57:20 AM »
I just want to say that I'm finding this thread to be VERY informative, about more than a few things.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve McClellan

Wheel contestant rule
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 05:06:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'244663\' date=\'Jul 21 2010, 08:19 PM\']And a player trying to make more money by continuing to spin even after he knows the puzzle?  According to the site, such a person is a 'Jerkass'.[/quote]
I've never been more proud than I am right now.

MikeK

• Martha!
Wheel contestant rule
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 09:07:22 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'244686\' date=\'Jul 22 2010, 12:20 AM\']I've seen a couple of the pages over the last couple of years. While the site doesn't drive me up a wall, I could do without the obscure anime references.[/quote]
Are there any other types of anime references?

Mr. Armadillo

Wheel contestant rule
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 09:45:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'244663\' date=\'Jul 21 2010, 10:19 PM\']Without naming names, I also found the writing style (and some of the specific examples) to be very familiar, and consistent with some issues we've had here regarding accuracy and common sense.[/quote]
Those names are freely available to anyone who wants to see them--if you click 'page history' at the top of any page, it will usually identify who's making the edits to these pages.  For example, here's Wheel's edit page.

Unsurprisingly, most of the game show articles on that site are pretty much entirely 'controlled', for a lack of a better word, by two particular individuals that the rest of us probably think are the last two individuals who should be allowed to do so.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:46:07 AM by Mr. Armadillo »

Matt Ottinger

Wheel contestant rule
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 10:15:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'244708\' date=\'Jul 22 2010, 09:45 AM\']Those names are freely available to anyone who wants to see them--if you click 'page history' at the top of any page, it will usually identify who's making the edits to these pages.  For example, here's Wheel's edit page.

Unsurprisingly, most of the game show articles on that site are pretty much entirely 'controlled', for a lack of a better word, by two particular individuals that the rest of us probably think are the last two individuals who should be allowed to do so.[/quote]
Stunned, I tell you.  Stunned.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

Wheel contestant rule
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 10:43:42 AM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'244706\' date=\'Jul 22 2010, 09:07 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'244686\' date=\'Jul 22 2010, 12:20 AM\']I've seen a couple of the pages over the last couple of years. While the site doesn't drive me up a wall, I could do without the obscure anime references.[/quote]
Are there any other types of anime references?
[/quote]
Duly noted. ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

pacdude

Wheel contestant rule
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 11:00:33 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'244685\' date=\'Jul 22 2010, 12:20 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'244684\' date=\'Jul 21 2010, 09:16 PM\']Yeah, sure, it's addictive, maybe even entertaining if you look at it right.  To me, though, it just represents most of what's wrong with the internet, all packed inside one convenient URL.[/quote]I think next time I visit my Nana, I'm going to have her make a sampler out of that for me.
[/quote]

Sampler worked by Great Nana Eberle in silk on linen, 1857: http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/4500/sampler.jpg

JMFabiano

Wheel contestant rule
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 11:04:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'244711\' date=\'Jul 22 2010, 10:15 AM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'244708\' date=\'Jul 22 2010, 09:45 AM\']Those names are freely available to anyone who wants to see them--if you click 'page history' at the top of any page, it will usually identify who's making the edits to these pages.  For example, here's Wheel's edit page.

Unsurprisingly, most of the game show articles on that site are pretty much entirely 'controlled', for a lack of a better word, by two particular individuals that the rest of us probably think are the last two individuals who should be allowed to do so.[/quote]
Stunned, I tell you.  Stunned.
[/quote]

Stunned is the only word for how...STUNNED I am!  

I think next time I visit my Nana, I'm going to have her make a sampler out of that for me.

And to round off my above remark...

http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/img/produ...1481&s=catl

OT: The original quote is no longer there, I see...for those who missed out, it implied that they were doing this "ban" on purpose to keep people from mentioning the past versions, to make the current show look better since mentioning the old ones would bring to light its "deterioration."
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

BrandonFG

Wheel contestant rule
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 11:15:41 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' post=\'244718\' date=\'Jul 22 2010, 11:04 AM\']OT: The original quote is no longer there, I see...for those who missed out, it implied that they were doing this "ban" on purpose to keep people from mentioning the past versions, to make the current show look better since mentioning the old ones would bring to light its "deterioration."[/quote]
I could see not allowing contestants from prior eras (NBC/syndie/CBS) in order to keep the contestant pool fresh, but I'm thinking shenanigans on the reason you brought up (I know you're just the messenger, just sayin'). The current run of TPiR has almost three years on Wheel, and it's never been an issue there.

I could maybe even see not confusing recent viewers who might say "Wait...buying prizes? Dalmatians? On Account?" But the deterioration thing just seems odd. Besides, the syndicated version starts season 28 this fall. Some could argue the show has "deteriorated" even compared to 1983.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:23:41 AM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

Wheel contestant rule
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 11:17:23 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' post=\'244718\' date=\'Jul 22 2010, 11:04 AM\']OT: The original quote is no longer there, I see...for those who missed out, it implied that they were doing this "ban" on purpose to keep people from mentioning the past versions, to make the current show look better since mentioning the old ones would bring to light its "deterioration."[/quote]
Opinion presented as fact.  I'm surprised there's not a Trope for that.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MyronMMeyer

Wheel contestant rule
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 11:29:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'244720\' date=\'Jul 22 2010, 10:17 AM\']Opinion presented as fact.  I'm surprised there's not a Trope for that.[/quote]

Yeah, especially since it happens all the time in anime.

-M
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:29:40 AM by MyronMMeyer »

Steve Gavazzi

Wheel contestant rule
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 12:45:28 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'244719\' date=\'Jul 22 2010, 11:15 AM\']I could maybe even see not confusing recent viewers who might say "Wait...buying prizes? Dalmatians? On Account?"[/quote]
Doesn't Pat even bring up shopping by himself from time to time?  I'm pretty sure he's mentioned Chuck once or twice, too, if, say, they have a contestant whose mom or dad was on the show in the '70s.

Jeremy Nelson

Wheel contestant rule
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 01:04:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'244726\' date=\'Jul 22 2010, 11:45 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'244719\' date=\'Jul 22 2010, 11:15 AM\']I could maybe even see not confusing recent viewers who might say "Wait...buying prizes? Dalmatians? On Account?"[/quote]
Doesn't Pat even bring up shopping by himself from time to time?  I'm pretty sure he's mentioned Chuck once or twice, too, if, say, they have a contestant whose mom or dad was on the show in the '70s.
[/quote]
I remember Pat once making the joke that some of his fan mail consists of viewers asking when Chuck was coming back from vacation- and that was sometime in the mid 2000s when he said that.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel contestant rule
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 01:11:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'244708\' date=\'Jul 22 2010, 06:45 AM\']Unsurprisingly, most of the game show articles on that site are pretty much entirely 'controlled', for a lack of a better word, by two particular individuals that the rest of us probably think are the last two individuals who should be allowed to do so.[/quote]
Not that I really needed it after Matt's review, but this is all of the evidence I need to never ever ever go to that site, or indeed trust any of the information contained therein. Ever.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe