Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker to guest-host The Huckabee Show  (Read 7899 times)

davidhammett

Barker to guest-host The Huckabee Show
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 12:07:09 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'245078\' date=\'Jul 27 2010, 08:50 AM\']/so too Chuck and Bob, for you "Soap" fans...[/quote]
Pardon the off topicness, but... Jay Johnson (Chuck) told me a story about being on the last episode of "Chain Reaction" in 1980.  The show ran just a little short, with the final end game leaving still a few minutes to fill at the end.  As they were deciding how to fill the time, Jay suggested they could do another end game for fun, where he and Betty White would give the clues and Bob (Jay's ventriloquist dummy for those not in the know) would guess them.  He envisioned such possibilities as, "What kind of person cuts you open?" to which Bob would reply, "A lumberjack!"

Anyway, according to Jay, Standards and Practices would have nothing of it.  Despite the fact that it was being done for fun only, they said it would give the image of impropriety, since of course Bob would certainly know all the answers.  Their (apparently serious) solution?  Betty and Bob could give the clues, and Jay could guess.

JakeT

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 07:55:18 PM »
I can't speak for any other market but it seems clear that the Dallas/Ft. Worth viewers agreed with my assessment of ole Huck-Huck-Huckabee...after only the first week of the planned six week run of his show, KDFW, our FOX affiliate (an O&O even) yanked the show off the schedule entirely...didn't even try an overnight exile timeslot first.  

Hmmmmm...maybe this talk show debacle will lead him to reconsider that 2012 presidential run...ahhhhhhhhh...:)

Jake

whewfan

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 08:45:51 PM »
I actually LIKED The Rosie O'Donnell show at first... she made light of the latest trends (koosh balls anyone?) she told jokes (she started each show with jokes at the desk... this didn't work so she just winged it and talked with John the bandleader.) and overall it was a fun alternative to the other shows out there, often being compared to The Mike Douglas Show...

Then she had Tom Selleck on and the show never regained its momentum. Tom came on, expecting to talk about his movie, but Rosie bombarded him with a debate about the NRA, which Tom was a spokesperson for. Tom was trying to shift away from the topic but Rosie pressed on. I am sure fans of the show were floored. Rosie O'Donnell was supposed to be the "Queen of Nice" (which was very quickly debunked) and be suitable for all ages... and she turns the show into an uncomfortable debate about guns.

Mr. Brown

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 01:10:49 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'245397\' date=\'Aug 3 2010, 07:45 PM\']Then she had Tom Selleck on and the show never regained its momentum. Tom came on, expecting to talk about his movie, but Rosie bombarded him with a debate about the NRA, which Tom was a spokesperson for. Tom was trying to shift away from the topic but Rosie pressed on. I am sure fans of the show were floored. Rosie O'Donnell was supposed to be the "Queen of Nice" (which was very quickly debunked) and be suitable for all ages... and she turns the show into an uncomfortable debate about guns.[/quote]

In all fairness, I think it started before Tom Selleck's appearance -- Rosie's show was never the same after the Columbine massacre. Though, Selleck was the cherry on top...

/As Pat Sajak's second show was never the same after Iraqi Freedom.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 01:14:03 AM by Mr. Brown »
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

J.R.

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 02:56:44 AM »
[quote name=\'JakeT\' post=\'245394\' date=\'Aug 3 2010, 06:55 PM\']I can't speak for any other market but it seems clear that the Dallas/Ft. Worth viewers agreed with my assessment of ole Huck-Huck-Huckabee...after only the first week of the planned six week run of his show, KDFW, our FOX affiliate (an O&O even) yanked the show off the schedule entirely...didn't even try an overnight exile timeslot first.  

Hmmmmm...maybe this talk show debacle will lead him to reconsider that 2012 presidential run...ahhhhhhhhh...:)

Jake[/quote]
So, judging by your very subtle hints and vague implications, you're not quite exactly a fan of this Huckabee fellow, eh? ;)

/Clever partisan political shoehorning though.
-Joe Raygor

Loogaroo

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 03:56:28 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'245413\' date=\'Aug 3 2010, 11:56 PM\']So, judging by your very subtle hints and vague implications, you're not quite exactly a fan of this Huckabee fellow, eh? ;)[/quote]
Hell, I'm right-leaning myself, and I'm praying to whatever deities will hear my call that the GOP doesn't nominate Huckabee or Palin or anyone from the hillbilly side of the family for President. I'm really getting tired of seeing the party being represented by people who'd lose an argument with a kindergardener.

(And that's as partisan as I'm going to get here.)
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

J.R.

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 04:32:26 AM »
For the record, I'm not a fan of Huckabee either. I'm just giving JakeT a good natured rib on his very apparent opinion.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 04:32:42 AM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

JakeT

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 04:42:50 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'245415\' date=\'Aug 4 2010, 03:32 AM\']For the record, I'm not a fan of Huckabee either. I'm just giving JakeT a good natured rib on his very apparent opinion.[/quote]

And I happily received your ribbing with a little giggle...I can't help it that I'm just so darned ticklish! :)

Hey, you can use many different words to describe me...I think I've heard odd, sarcastic and others that slip my mind at the moment...and I tend to agree with most of them...but one word that has never applied to me when it comes to expressing myself and that is "vague"...:)

Oh, and for the record (as if anyone really cares), another word that really doesn't apply to me would be "partisan".  I absolutely do not in any way affiliate myself with any one political party.  In fact, I HATE the whole concept of political parties.  I would be described best as "independent" in the true sense of the word.  In the past two decades, there have been very very few politicians from any party that I have considered to be worth a damn...:)

Jake

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 05:34:59 AM »
Mike Huckabee "gets it" when it comes to taxes and that's about it. As Tim said, as long as Republicans keep running the likes of Sarah Palin, there's no one to vote for on that side of the ticket.

/Africa is still a continent, not a country.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 05:36:08 AM by chris319 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 09:27:51 AM »
"I've got some [stuff] I'm conservative about. I've got some [stuff] I'm liberal about. Crime, I'm conservative. Prostitution, I'm liberal!"
-Chris Rock

Seriously, at this point, I'm in favor of whoever the hell can pull this country out of this economical quagmire* we're in. The two sides going back and forth like we're in elementary school recess is not going to help speed up the process.

*Giggity

/While on the subject of politics, Happy Birthday Mr. President
//What were we talking about again?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 09:36:03 AM »
[quote name=\'JakeT\' post=\'245416\' date=\'Aug 4 2010, 01:42 AM\']Oh, and for the record (as if anyone really cares), another word that really doesn't apply to me would be "partisan".  I absolutely do not in any way affiliate myself with any one political party.  In fact, I HATE the whole concept of political parties.  I would be described best as "independent" in the true sense of the word.  In the past two decades, there have been very very few politicians from any party that I have considered to be worth a damn...:)[/quote]Ole!

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'245423\' date=\'Aug 4 2010, 06:27 AM\']"I've got some [stuff] I'm conservative about. I've got some [stuff] I'm liberal about. Crime, I'm conservative. Prostitution, I'm liberal!"
-Chris Rock[/quote] Double ole!
Travis L. Eberle

Fedya

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 03:15:22 PM »
Seriously, at this point, I'm in favor of whoever the hell can pull this country out of this economical quagmire* we're in. The two sides going back and forth like we're in elementary school recess is not going to help speed up the process.

I don't see how getting the Barker fanboiz and the Carey fanboiz to lie down together (metaphorically) is going to solve our economic problems....
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

dale_grass

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 09:58:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'245437\' date=\'Aug 4 2010, 02:15 PM\']I don't see how getting the Barker fanboiz and the Carey fanboiz to lie down together (metaphorically) is going to solve our economic problems....[/quote]
Do you know who knows about turning profits?  Underpants gnomes.

(Caution: Mild naughtiness.)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 10:41:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'245437\' date=\'Aug 4 2010, 12:15 PM\']

I don't see how getting the Barker fanboiz and the Carey fanboiz to lie down together (metaphorically) is going to solve our economic problems....[/quote]They'll form a PAC to get TPIR to have more opportunities at cash for the contestants.

(Having actually watched the Huckbee show, or at least his special from Vegas, I reached my limit of aw-schucks down home folksiness fairly soon, but maybe that was just a special episode and not the norm.
Travis L. Eberle