Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Panel Quiz Attack 25  (Read 4779 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Panel Quiz Attack 25
« on: August 08, 2010, 07:31:48 PM »
I found some interesting behind-the-scenes photos of my favorite foreign game show of all time, Japan's "Panel Quiz Attack 25". It's been on the air in Japan continuously since 1975. For more info, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD4LSpvYEyA

Here's a shot of what the contestant sees from behind his/her desk. http://i34.tinypic.com/29h2ef.jpg

This is the whole studio either before a taping or during a stopdown. http://i38.tinypic.com/sb9z.jpg

And here's an interesting shot of a lit-up contestant desk in an otherwise dark studio. http://i35.tinypic.com/nw205.jpg

I find it fascinating to see shows like this from a completely different angle.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:58:19 PM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

William_S.

Panel Quiz Attack 25
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 12:33:11 AM »
From the 3rd shot there, I would've thought they'd go to a RP Video wall there. I guess some countries will stay old fashioned like that. That's good.

/ Now let's find a game show that still uses trilons opposed to video walls. :-p
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:52:18 AM by William_S. »

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Panel Quiz Attack 25
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 01:04:32 AM »
That show has gone through some nice transitions and modern technology in the past 35 years.

dazztardly

Panel Quiz Attack 25
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 08:29:22 AM »
I wonder if this format has been attempted in the U.S.?

Lirodon

Panel Quiz Attack 25
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 12:30:14 PM »
It's essentially Reversi with trivia toss-ups. given how many American game shows are based off pen and paper/board games, it could work well on GSN or in syndication.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Panel Quiz Attack 25
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 12:50:53 PM »
It never ceases to amuse me that each desk has two buzzers, and both of them are on during the show.

[quote name=\'Lirodon\' post=\'245626\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 12:30 PM\']it could work well on GSN or in syndication.[/quote]
I've been straddling the fence on this.  On the one hand, it'd succeed on a TNG-level budget, there's no lack of color, and there's enough non-skill factors to make games entertaining (and even when they aren't, watching someone chase a perfect game is compelling in and of itself).  On the other hand, the rules are nuanced enough (in regards to panel selection) that they could confuse some players and bog down the game, Japanese non-stunt games are anathema to the West, and outside of the first and last five minutes, it's a pretty bland quizzer, exacerbated by all the essay questions.
This signature is currently under construction.

Lirodon

Panel Quiz Attack 25
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 12:59:43 PM »
I was envisioning it more on the Tic Tac Dough style of format, just cut it down to two players, highlight valid moves on the board, make the games straddle, and squeeze a Barry-Enright-esque bonus round in after every match. And about the "blandness", the same could be said about any game, but its what's built around the core game by producers that can make a bland/simple game become a legend. I could easily see some gimmicks already.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Panel Quiz Attack 25
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 10:15:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Lirodon\' post=\'245629\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 11:59 AM\']I was envisioning it more on the Tic Tac Dough style of format[/quote]
That was sooooooooo 1980.

just cut it down to two players,
And what's wrong with a 4 player game?

highlight valid moves on the board
I don't think this was done in the east, but this makes it too easy for the players to figure it out.

make the games straddle
If the producers can make do with the time, and shorten the essay-type questions, this won't be necessary. Besides, a few times a game was cut short and they played the "Bells of Westminster" to signify that. The winner would then play the bonus (and won't have the luxury to get the spots revealed).

squeeze a Barry-Enright-esque bonus round in after every match
Their bonus round looks perfectly fine. You get 20 seconds to look at the video and make one guess.

And about the "blandness", the same could be said about any game, but its what's built around the core game by producers that can make a bland/simple game become a legend. I could easily see some gimmicks already.
DoND said the same thing, tried it, and look where they are? I presume that the East has a variation/1-hour special with celebrities and a different host, and that's fine to have every now and again. You can't completely alter what works and guarantee to have a successful hit here.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Panel Quiz Attack 25
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 11:08:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' post=\'245694\' date=\'Aug 10 2010, 10:15 PM\']I presume that the East has a variation/1-hour special with celebrities and a different host, and that's fine to have every now and again.[/quote]
They've had variety specials, tournaments, special weeks--the last perfect game was on a "teachers vs. students" episode, but technically every week is a theme week (all four contestants have a common characteristic, normally age range).

I imagine the essay-question problem doesn't affect timing too much.  I cannot remember ever seeing a Quad Stumper, so I'm guessing questions with no bearing on the game get cut out.  I've also seen a full game (no bonus) played in about half of an episode, so there's room for speed control.

In terms of highlighting legal choices, you can do it for the home audience and just cut out the bad calls.  However, making it a two-player game kills it.
This signature is currently under construction.

Greggo

Panel Quiz Attack 25
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 08:25:59 AM »
Yeah, the game's fine as is.

I've even started doing the game at anime conventions now.  The debut went all right.  Doing it again in Atlanta in a few weeks, and then it hits the major rotation as the "major" trivia game I do at conventions.