Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal or No Deal  (Read 10329 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 12:04:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'247491\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 02:14 AM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'247486\' date=\'Sep 13 2010, 10:59 PM\']So your least favorite moment is when a guy wins a small fortune because he didn't have the position to keep playing for the Big Fella?[/quote]It had more to do with his son being such a sniveling little coward that he was telling Dad to bail out from pretty much the third offer on. When they showed the million in his case, it was obvious from the look on the contestant's face that he was ready to go all the way if his son didn't convince him to deal.[/quote]Shenanigans. His highest offer of the game in real play was $116,000. A skosh under a hundred grand isn't terrible, and who knows what the guy would have done when the money got to...where it does if the million is still in play?
Travis L. Eberle

Loogaroo

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 08:24:45 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'247590\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 09:04 PM\']Shenanigans. His highest offer of the game in real play was $116,000. A skosh under a hundred grand isn't terrible, and who knows what the guy would have done when the money got to...where it does if the million is still in play?[/quote]

That's perhaps true, but look at it this way: this guy was probably the show's best chance at a million-dollar win without the use of a stunt.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Mr. Armadillo

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 09:22:21 AM »
No way is a guy who had no safety net at six cases 'their best chance at a million'.  Very few people would risk a half-mil-ish offer if the other case was anything less than, say, $50,000 (and a large number would need the fallback to be a lot bigger than that, to boot).

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 12:14:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\']It had more to do with his son being such a sniveling little coward that he was telling Dad to bail out from pretty much the third offer on. When they showed the million in his case, it was obvious from the look on the contestant's face that he was ready to go all the way if his son didn't convince him to deal.[/quote]I don't think it appropriate to pin "sniveling coward" to a six year old kid who is seeing big numbers and reacting.

When I was a wee lad, Mom would set the VCR to nab Card Sharks Starring Bill Rafferty. I saw the big money that people were winning, and while I understood what $32,000 was, I really didn't know internally what it was, at least not until I was holding down a job, and a car, and a home, and bills.

I didn't like how the family bench seemed there to create drama (especially when one of the lot wanted to play and the other didn't) but especially when little kids were brought out. If Dad plays on, he looks like a choad because Junior is saying "Please don't gamble my pony/XBox/College/et al". If Dad bails out but had a big amount, doubly so. And if Dad had the chance at big money but had a go at the brass ring and falls, well, he's a choad nonpareil, then, isn't he?

Just like Set For Life, the person playing should get to play his own game. He shouldn't have to listen to family members pleading for him to go/stop, because a kid can't grasp what's involved.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 12:23:05 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'247908\' date=\'Sep 19 2010, 09:14 PM\']I don't think it appropriate to pin "sniveling coward" to a six year old kid who is seeing big numbers and reacting.[/quote]
I'm not sure you're talking about the same guy that Tim and I are.

At least, I dearly hope not, because I too would be severely disappoint if you're right.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 12:25:14 AM »
I dunno. After a certain point, Contestant On Deal Or No Deal just kinda melds together into one big lump and I can't remember who is who. I just looked up "Army Guy" "won $99,000" "had $1m in case" and reported on what I found.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 01:17:50 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'247910\' date=\'Sep 19 2010, 09:25 PM\']I dunno. After a certain point, Contestant On Deal Or No Deal just kinda melds together into one big lump and I can't remember who is who. I just looked up "Army Guy" "won $99,000" "had $1m in case" and reported on what I found.[/quote]
Hey, you could be right. I assumed when Tim referred to the son as Private Pyle that he was of age to be enlisted himself.

Tim, is that the case? Please tell me we're not talking about the guy who Dealt and then as the prove-out went decidedly south, was consoling his *very small child* that his advice was still good.

xavier45

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 01:19:49 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'247911\' date=\'Sep 20 2010, 01:17 AM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'247910\' date=\'Sep 19 2010, 09:25 PM\']I dunno. After a certain point, Contestant On Deal Or No Deal just kinda melds together into one big lump and I can't remember who is who. I just looked up "Army Guy" "won $99,000" "had $1m in case" and reported on what I found.[/quote]
Hey, you could be right. I assumed when Tim referred to the son as Private Pyle that he was of age to be enlisted himself.
[/quote]
I saw the episode a few weeks ago on GSN, and the son was probably in his 20's.

clemon79

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2010, 01:44:29 PM »
[quote name=\'xavier45\' post=\'248095\' date=\'Sep 22 2010, 10:19 AM\']I saw the episode a few weeks ago on GSN, and the son was probably in his 20's.[/quote]
Definitely not the same one. then. I am more relieve than disappoint.

MyronMMeyer

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2010, 02:32:03 PM »
Favorite moment: Wynetta, of the first Million Dollar Mission, since I was in the audience for that one.  Seeing her daughter turn on her after they revealed she gave up the Million: priceless. Also, seeing DoND in person is intense. It's a great stage show, especially if the game goes the right way. The paid extra I was sitting next to guessed, before the show even started, which case she'd pick and that it would have a million in it. Eerie.

If anyone has that on tape, I'd love to see it. I managed to miss it when it aired.

-M

J.R.

Deal or No Deal
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2010, 05:36:06 PM »
[quote name=\'MyronMMeyer\' post=\'248105\' date=\'Sep 22 2010, 01:32 PM\']Seeing her daughter turn on her after they revealed she gave up the Million: priceless.[/quote]
Does anyone know what exactly happened?
-Joe Raygor

MikeK

• Martha!
Deal or No Deal
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 06:14:41 PM »
[quote name=\'MyronMMeyer\' post=\'248105\' date=\'Sep 22 2010, 02:32 PM\']Also, seeing DoND in person is intense.[/quote]
So is the heat in the studio if the A/C isn't functional.

If the circumstances are right, the game is intense.  The first game I saw in '06 was bland since the only big value left on the board was $750K and the contestant walked after her niece, on the other end of a phone line, pleaded with her to take an offer slightly over $100K.  Unlike the aforementioned pleading, this one was left on the cutting room floor.  On the other hand, the second game from that day was intense since the player left all 8 cases from $75,000 up on the board with 15 left, including a $2M top prize.