Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire Changes  (Read 57781 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #180 on: September 12, 2010, 07:18:17 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'247339\' date=\'Sep 12 2010, 09:10 AM\'][quote name=\'IFeelMillionaire\' post=\'247274\' date=\'Sep 10 2010, 03:46 PM\'](I've since  got into Words with Friends, but that relies on the other person taking a turn.)[/quote]
Me too; I love it. My username is cwcarrion if you'd like to start a game sometime.
[/quote]
Noted. My username is jeremynelson1987, so look me up if you want to start a game...between grad school and work, it's the last bit of sanity in my life right now.

It's so much better than spending $10 on a Scrabble app whose only claim to fame is that, should you have the money, you can play a "digital table game" using an iPad and 4 iPhones/iPod Touches. Does that version even support online multiplayer?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Fedya

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #181 on: September 12, 2010, 08:28:21 PM »
It's so much better than spending $10 on a Scrabble app whose only claim to fame is that, should you have the money, you can play a "digital table game" using an iPad and 4 iPhones/iPod Touches. Does that version even support online multiplayer?
I'd suggest the Internet Scrabble Club, but I don't think it's compatible with Ipads or cellphones.

Or, if you're a masochist, you can play against Quackle and be suitably humbled.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Hastin

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #182 on: September 13, 2010, 12:15:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'247347\' date=\'Sep 12 2010, 04:18 PM\']Does that version even support online multiplayer?[/quote]

Yep. Supports live multiplayer, turn multiplayer, multiplayer across multiple platforms (Facebook, etc.).

Also, it's only $2.99: http://itunes.apple.com/app/scrabble/id284815117?mt=8
-Hastin :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #183 on: September 13, 2010, 12:24:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'247356\' date=\'Sep 12 2010, 09:15 PM\']Also, it's only $2.99: http://itunes.apple.com/app/scrabble/id284815117?mt=8[/quote]
They really dangle the "Best Play" button right there in front of you on the main screen, with no way to deactivate it or have it disabled for online games? Really?

That is just a horrible, awful idea.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Marc412

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #184 on: September 13, 2010, 12:26:39 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'247339\' date=\'Sep 12 2010, 10:10 AM\'][quote name=\'IFeelMillionaire\' post=\'247274\' date=\'Sep 10 2010, 03:46 PM\'](I've since  got into Words with Friends, but that relies on the other person taking a turn.)[/quote]
Me too; I love it. My username is cwcarrion if you'd like to start a game sometime.
[/quote]
I'm Marc412.

MrBuddwing

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #185 on: September 13, 2010, 12:41:51 PM »
Well, at least they got rid of that damned clock.

Hastin

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #186 on: September 13, 2010, 06:37:12 PM »
Overall, I like the new format. I think it works. It will be more interesting to see how the contestants use the 'strategy' when it has a little more time to simmer. Graphics package is good, and I don't mind the set changes. Standing seems weird, and I think the set is too bright. I like some of the new music, but it's too quiet. The game seems to drag through, and the cuts on this episode were very noticeable.

Millionaire isn't broken - it's simply a refresh to an old game. I like it. DVRing.
-Hastin :)

mcsittel

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #187 on: September 13, 2010, 08:52:05 PM »
My thoughts:

Overall it felt like a different game show-it was 'essence of Millionaire' sans clock (good riddance).  It felt to me like a bit too radical of a change, and the jumbled values in particular seemed a mess.  For some reason I thought the questions would still be matched with their difficulty rating, but only the order would be jumbled-without that there's no feel for how difficult a question is, if you're making it more difficult than need be... perhaps that's part of their plan.  But if they're going to randomize the dollar amounts *and* the question positions, why not let the contestant pick the categories in his/her desired order too?  It won't affect the outcome any if the value is unknown, other than the climbing the ladder effect won't be maintained-although they could simply switch the chosen category with whatever fell into position one and make it look like a ladder...  Hey, if the categories aren't obvious, part of the fun might be in picking when you think it's one thing but it's another topic entirely.  

I like that Meredith can be chattier and personable with the contestants, but there seemed to be way too little contestant bio-that any rooting for the guy was lost to all the banter between them.  I expected Meredith would mention the stopping with half the bank in advance rather than after the two jumps were used, because then it suggested he wasn't at risk until after both had been used.  

Will I watch again?  Sure-just to see how things play out after someone gets through the 10 questions.  First stack seemed a bit more difficult than usual-the 'gimmes' weren't plentiful.  Perhaps another subtle move by the producers, to make getting through all 10 more difficult?  Time will tell.  But with all the music cues changed, the chair gone, and chaos in the game play, it didn't feel comfortable at all to this viewer.  But my 7-year-old son said he liked it... my wife still doesn't like to watch (remember Ryan Howard?)...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 09:05:42 PM by mcsittel »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #188 on: September 13, 2010, 09:57:57 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'247450\' date=\'Sep 13 2010, 08:52 PM\']my wife still doesn't like to watch (remember Ryan Howard?)...[/quote]
Spoken like a true Mets fan :P
This signature is currently under construction.

abba

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #189 on: September 14, 2010, 12:20:26 AM »
Does anyone have a link a video of the season  premiere?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #190 on: September 14, 2010, 12:37:12 AM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'247450\' date=\'Sep 13 2010, 05:52 PM\']But if they're going to randomize the dollar amounts *and* the question positions, why not let the contestant pick the categories in his/her desired order too?[/quote]
I like the idea in terms of gameplay, but I wonder if the added (minor, not-really-essential) change would bog down the show pacing.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #191 on: September 14, 2010, 12:44:20 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'247482\' date=\'Sep 13 2010, 09:37 PM\'][quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'247450\' date=\'Sep 13 2010, 05:52 PM\']But if they're going to randomize the dollar amounts *and* the question positions, why not let the contestant pick the categories in his/her desired order too?[/quote]I like the idea in terms of gameplay, but I wonder if the added (minor, not-really-essential) change would bog down the show pacing.[/quote]Not to mention that the computer/chyron guy would have to call up any of ten questions at a time, instead of just the next one. The reason to do it is that you could knock out the questions that you think you know first, and then worry about the unknown quantities later. (Then again, how helpful have the categories been anyway?)

I liked it. It may be a different game, but it still has people answering questions and winning money. So there's that.
Travis L. Eberle

dscungio

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #192 on: September 14, 2010, 10:20:51 AM »
[quote name=\'abba\' post=\'247480\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 12:20 AM\']Does anyone have a link a video of the season  premiere?[/quote]

Part 1
Part 2

Clay Zambo

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #193 on: September 14, 2010, 11:11:16 AM »
The unpredicatable nature of this new Round 1 made the game rather more interesting to me than it's been in a while.  I hadn't watched Millionaire regularly in some years, but when I did I tended to fast forward through the first tier of questions; there's no reason to do that, now, since anything can happen along the way.

The Jumps seem to me the biggest change in the game; in the past, it was one of the few shows ever where you had to answer *every* question correctly in order to win the grand prize.  Now, it's "all but any two"--not that I think that makes the million too easy to win; it's just different.

All in all, it's a fun new game with an classic title.  And, like Coke Classic, they can always bring back the old version if they choose to.
czambo@mac.com

Matt Ottinger

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #194 on: September 14, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
OK, yeah, interesting.  I have my weird obsession with computer-screen reveals when it comes to dollar amounts we're supposed to cheer.  I truly believe there's an intangible benefit to the tangible prop.  As vacuous as it was, DoND would have been significantly worse without the briefcases, not to mention their carriers.

I think the game is a little harder to play with the order of the questions randomized.  With the old show, I often found myself using the value of the question as a clue when I didn't immediately know the answer.  As it turns out, there was a very tricky question in the first game, and who knows where it would have landed if they weren't random.  If you Google, there are more references to Russia as a 'sleeping giant' than there are to China. Without specifically knowing the reference to Napoleon, itself pretty obscure, that's a nasty question.

Meredith's trying her hardest -- maybe a little too hard -- but while I'm interested in the novelty of it for now, I'm not sure this is a better game than the one it replaced.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:48:40 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.