Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire Changes  (Read 57777 times)

Clay Zambo

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #195 on: September 14, 2010, 01:17:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'247516\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 11:46 AM\']OK, yeah, interesting.  I have my weird obsession with computer-screen reveals when it comes to dollar amounts we're supposed to cheer.  I truly believe there's an intangible benefit to the tangible prop.[/quote]

It's a preference I share, as you'd guess.  I'd lurve to see a big honkin' game board in the vom below the big question screen, and it would be easy enough to make it a great door through which new contestants enter.  I wager, though, that more of the Millionaire audience doesn't care than does.

I'm not sure this is a better game than the one it replaced.

Is it a better game?  Probably not, though I don't think it's any worse.  Is it going to keep more eyes on the screen through more of the game, thus delivering more audience to the commercials?  Quite possibly.  (Except for anybody who knows how to use the fast-forward button on a DVR, that is.)
czambo@mac.com

IFeelMillionaire

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #196 on: September 14, 2010, 01:26:37 PM »
I watched the premiere yesterday, and they an episode from last year in the second year so you got to see them side by side. Interesting. There is definitely a bit more excitement now with the randomized amounts...it just adds another level of interaction for the audience to respond to, so at least it sounds better! But seriously, I had no trouble with it, and once they get into a rhythm it should work. Not sure about the two Jump the Question lifelines. I like the idea more of three unique lifelines.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2010, 02:56:40 PM »
Okay, I'll be the one to not like the new music. With only a couple of exceptions, it's generic and unmemorable. As a general rule, I like music that I can hum, and there's not much to hum along with here.

Also, since the majority of a given contestant's game will take place in the lower tier (and in many episodes, no contestant will reach the second tier), I'm going to quickly fatigue of hearing that same question bed for the entire half hour.

I do like the randomizing sound effect, though.

abba

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #198 on: September 14, 2010, 03:00:24 PM »
[quote name=\'dscungio\' post=\'247511\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 10:20 AM\'][quote name=\'abba\' post=\'247480\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 12:20 AM\']Does anyone have a link a video of the season  premiere?[/quote]

Part 1
Part 2
[/quote]
Thank you.

I think it was a great premiere.I really like the fact that the questions and amounts are randomized.I think it will be a great season.Way to go Millionaire!

Oh and i feel the Jump the Question lifelines are good, as i feel that Phone-a-friend and Ask The Expert took too much time.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 03:57:49 PM by abba »

tvmitch

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #199 on: September 14, 2010, 03:24:02 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'247536\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 02:56 PM\']Okay, I'll be the one to not like the new music. With only a couple of exceptions, it's generic and unmemorable. As a general rule, I like music that I can hum, and there's not much to hum along with here.[/quote]
I second this. The music itself is okay, but the levels, at least in the first episode, were not loud enough for it to be discernible as the previous music...made it all sound very low-budget, or an afterthought.

I'm indifferent on the changes so far. I will be a much bigger fan once "Jim Perry starts flipping the cards faster," if you all know what I mean. The pace in that first episode was so slow. Okay, that question was worth $7K, let's move on.

I kind of miss the clock. Kind of. It wouldn't have been a terrible addition for the first 10 questions...30 seconds each, or something.
You should follow me on Twitter

Timsterino

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #200 on: September 14, 2010, 07:12:23 PM »
I was encouraged to watch the show and I did. I stand by my original statement, "It is an interesting game show BUT in my opinion it is not Millionaire." This new show is fine but they should have changed the name.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #201 on: September 14, 2010, 07:32:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' post=\'247567\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 04:12 PM\']This new show is fine but they should have changed the name.[/quote]
You're right. Throwing away the branding that made them famous is TOTALLY the way to go.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #202 on: September 14, 2010, 07:36:22 PM »
After watching the show, I think everything's just fine. The show recaptured something that was missing during the clock era: the contestants thinking out loud. This, in my opinion, was one of the big things that set Millionaire apart from other quizzers.

The only issue I have is with the pacing. I hope as the season wears on, they will be able to ratchet up the number of questions seen in a day.

BrandonFG

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #203 on: September 14, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
I finally watched part 1. It's different of course, but it really isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I still miss the variety of lifelines, and not really feeling the music, but I enjoyed it. And I feel it kept enough to still resemble Millionaire. Like I've said 100 times, contestants still climb a money ladder from $100-1M, by answering multiple-choice questions. If they get stuck, they can ask for help.

The method has changed a bit, but the essence of the game still remains, just as it did when Password became more than Password 31 years ago. But like with P+ and its changes, the show still has me yelling out the answers and thinking with the contestants. I can live with that.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 07:39:27 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #204 on: September 14, 2010, 09:43:13 PM »
Saw it.

Like:
No more clock
The bantor is back
No more llamas (everybody gets at least a grand)

Don't like:
The original music gone
The Hot Seat gone

Will like it more if:
Someone finally wins the million (w/o a special tournament)

WTF? KTLA at noon!?!

I think the show has used its Jump lifeline to jump the shark.

--Charlie
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:44:31 PM by GiraffeBoy »
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #205 on: September 14, 2010, 11:13:24 PM »
The game is fine now.  I'm happy there's no clock and eagerly waiting a contestant to use their jumps in round two.

BTW, did anyone of you watchers ever expect an audience to clap after someone jumps a question?  After watching Family Feud and US Deal or No Deal clap to every...single...darn...thing, I find it refreshing that an audience simply chilled.
-Sanford

Timsterino

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2010, 11:18:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'247569\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 07:32 PM\'][quote name=\'Timsterino\' post=\'247567\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 04:12 PM\']This new show is fine but they should have changed the name.[/quote]
You're right. Throwing away the branding that made them famous is TOTALLY the way to go.
[/quote]

Um, yeah sure, Chris. We should also put Pepsi in Coke cans too.

Timsterino

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2010, 11:20:48 PM »
Has anyone noticed how fast the lifelines are being used up because of the randomizer? That is one big issue I see already.

NickS

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2010, 11:33:43 PM »
I'm trying to get accustomed to some of the new cues but unlike some others, I'll live with the changes.  Otherwise, I'm cool with the new changes; it needed a reset and it's a step in the right direction.

BrandonFG

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2010, 11:38:19 PM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' post=\'247579\' date=\'Sep 14 2010, 11:13 PM\']BTW, did anyone of you watchers ever expect an audience to clap after someone jumps a question?  After watching Family Feud and US Deal or No Deal clap to every...single...darn...thing, I find it refreshing that an audience simply chilled.[/quote]
Yes. It's one thing that's always made me appreciate the show so much more. I always expected it to be used no matter what lifeline was chosen, and pleasantly surprised to see they still don't do it.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!