Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire Changes  (Read 59385 times)

Kevin Prather

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2010, 05:53:08 PM »
One thing that occurred to me: Now that contestants are on their feet and free to move about the studio, how are they gonna handle the Relationship Seat? It used to be that seat was positioned directly behind the player, and for good reason, so the companion couldn't signal to the player. Are they just gonna keep an extra eye on the companions now?

MikeK

• Martha!
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2010, 05:56:37 PM »
[quote name=\'IFeelMillionaire\' post=\'246821\' date=\'Sep 4 2010, 01:48 AM\']I played the new version of the game online at the Millionaire page. You can test drive the game for yourself, with the new rules, before it airs on Sept. 13. It's pretty cool. But it really is a different feel, and I found this a bit harder than other Millionaire games, like the iPhone app. Which I've won like ten times!

Who Wants To Be a Millionaire online game[/quote]
1.  The link was previously posted in this thread.
B.  Maybe you've won the jackpot like ten times because the database of questions used numbers in the dozens...or are you talking about beating the iPhone app that often?  Oy, the dizzy spells are starting up once again...

Loogaroo

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2010, 09:29:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'246833\' date=\'Sep 4 2010, 08:39 AM\']A miss on the Final Four sets you back to $25,000.[/quote]

OK, I was iffy on the changes up to this point, but this settles it. This game is effed in the bee.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Hastin

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2010, 11:25:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'246849\' date=\'Sep 4 2010, 06:29 PM\']OK, I was iffy on the changes up to this point, but this settles it. This game is effed in the bee.[/quote]

Why? You still get the chance to walk at the 100K question with whatever is in your bank. This is MUCH better than the free guess problem that existed since Millionaire debuted.
-Hastin :)

Speedy G

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2010, 11:48:25 PM »
I've played the Flash game, and remain underwhelmed.  Most of the posters above are way too worried about carrying lifelines into the top tier, which rarely happens on the show as it currently exists.  There's no reason to believe we're going to see any more Q11's than we did before (let alone any higher up the board).  The net effect of this change?  It's going to randomize the amount of money people walk away with.  

I fully expect that the game will devolve into a game of "hunt for the 25K".  As soon as it comes, the game is over, and it's going through the motions.

I was halfway expecting them to have not thought about this, but the minimum take into the high-rent district is $27,600.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

Loogaroo

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2010, 08:17:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'246850\' date=\'Sep 4 2010, 08:25 PM\'][quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'246849\' date=\'Sep 4 2010, 06:29 PM\']OK, I was iffy on the changes up to this point, but this settles it. This game is effed in the bee.[/quote]

Why? You still get the chance to walk at the 100K question with whatever is in your bank. This is MUCH better than the free guess problem that existed since Millionaire debuted.
[/quote]

I wasn't aware that a "free guess problem" existed.

I have a major issue with shows offering prizes or cash that contestants end up not really getting. Card Sharks '01 awarded its winner $2100 But Not Really; you have to wager it on the Money Cards, thus potentially crapping out. Contestants on Downfall won any prizes left on the belt But Not Really; if you lost on another level you lost the prizes, even if you'd reached a safe haven with the money. Here, they're changing all the rules for and making a big deal about a bank that only gets awarded in its entirety if a player walks on question #12. Walk before that, and you only get half. Miss prior to that, and you only get $1000. Miss afterwards, and you're only getting $25K. These rule changes are looking so arbitrary and random that I'm beginning to wonder if they're something in the contestant bible about what would happen if a particular contestant wears a red shirt on Tuesday.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:18:48 AM by Loogaroo »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2010, 01:53:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'246858\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 08:17 AM\']I'm beginning to wonder if they're something in the contestant bible about what would happen if a particular contestant wears a red shirt on Tuesday.[/quote]
It means he's the first to go

The game is not "effed in the bee" unless you think a) Daytime 5th Grader is "effed in the bee" or b) UK game shows are "effed in the bee" because that's what Millionaire is now.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2010, 02:32:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'246849\' date=\'Sep 4 2010, 06:29 PM\']OK, I was iffy on the changes up to this point, but this settles it. This game is effed in the bee.[/quote]
You're either a) not thinking about it, or b) so furious at the thought of any change to this show that you refuse to think about it. I completely fail to see, even after reading your "reasoning," why the game is broken as a result of this. I see no "but not really" situation. At all.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Loogaroo

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2010, 06:42:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'246877\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 10:53 AM\']The game is not "effed in the bee" unless you think a) Daytime 5th Grader is "effed in the bee" or b) UK game shows are "effed in the bee" because that's what Millionaire is now.[/quote]

a) Daytime 5th Grader makes a lot more sense than random questions for random dollar amounts, with arbitrary payoffs if you walk or miss.
b) I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'246883\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 11:32 AM\']You're either a) not thinking about it, or b) so furious at the thought of any change to this show that you refuse to think about it. I completely fail to see, even after reading your "reasoning," why the game is broken as a result of this. I see no "but not really" situation. At all.[/quote]

Let me put it to you this way: if the bank was your guarantee on a Final Four miss, I'd be much, much less critical. Still apprehensive at all the changes they've made, but I'd be willing to see what happens. Dropping them back to $25K indicates that the powers that be still don't get it. This show has not had a naturally-occurring millionaire since 2003. That is what the show needs to be addressing, and any changes made to the format need to make it easier for someone to go all the way. (I'm not asking for them to shovel money around, but one peek at Q15 per season doesn't strike me as an outrageous demand.) These changes don't do that. Once all the Jumps are gone, you're left with the same problem you had before: players not wanting to risk $75K or $225K on a question that nobody outside an expert on the subject at hand would know. How do they remedy this? Not by throwing the values of the first 11 questions in a blender, that's for sure.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2010, 07:25:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'246907\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 03:42 PM\']Let me put it to you this way: if the bank was your guarantee on a Final Four miss, I'd be much, much less critical.[/quote]
You are welcome to be as critical as you want to be. I'm simply calling you out for basing the reasoning for your criticism on a condition that simply does not exist. There *is no* "but not really" condition. You are free to walk after seeing your first Classic Millionaire question with the contents of your bank. Period.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #145 on: September 05, 2010, 08:54:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'246907\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 06:42 PM\'][quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'246877\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 10:53 AM\']The game is not "effed in the bee" unless you think a) Daytime 5th Grader is "effed in the bee" or b) UK game shows are "effed in the bee" because that's what Millionaire is now.[/quote]

a) Daytime 5th Grader makes a lot more sense than random questions for random dollar amounts, with arbitrary payoffs if you walk or miss.
b) I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.[/quote]

I was referring to
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'246242\' date=\'Aug 22 2010, 12:07 AM\'][Millionaire] is now, at least to my eyes, an amalgam of UK game show tropes from the past 3-5 years.[/quote]

Another thing to consider: I'd wager that a vast majority of Millionaire contestants get through about 8-10 questions of their stack.  That can get pretty boring when it happens repeatedly for days or even weeks on end, considering how little variance there is between games.  The blender now makes those first 8-10 questions interesting (there's something inherently appealing about a "never the same game twice" style of concept) and make it theoretically easier for a contestant to get to the juicy 6-figure question bits.

In all your ranting, you seem to have forgotten that the game needs to be entertaining, and last season was anything but.
This signature is currently under construction.

ethanmx2

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2010, 04:21:38 AM »
Welp, I've looked at the demo game and the changes they've made in gameplay. It was fun the first few times, running the first level, but the game has an increased chance of getting DOND-itis. Where you'll get the likely occasional padded drama on a jump or a right answer; which is what Millionaire does not need. Let's remember, this is a quiz, not a briefcase lottery. The problem I see also with randomizing the questions is that people may still walk around Q8-10, all that will be different is the amount of money they've won; which seems on its face, downright stupid. Why reward someone with $32,000 for walking at Q8, but someone who walks at Q10 may only win $21,800. Too much unpredictability can be a bad thing, and we may be seeing that in this coming season.

The free guess "issue" was not an issue at all to me. The fact that you had a free shot at the question was part and parcel of the strategy of the game. Do you take the free guess and leave a lifeline or two on the table? Or take one and get reassurance on your guess? The problem they had with the clock last seasons (despite the kick ass music they had with it) was they were trying to force answers and decisions on players under more pressure than was needed to be, which ultimately led to many walking away in the 2nd tier. During the entire run with the clock, we only saw 3 (iirc) $500,000 questions and only 1 true million dollar question (that stupid tournament doesn't count in my book).

Quite frankly, Millionaire has succumb to "It HAS to be broke, we HAVE to fix it" mentality when the games fundamentals had nothing wrong. The only problem was a dry spell in big money winners; which occurs in all shows. Many shows with returning champions will exchange 1-3 day champs for a while before a formidable player can break that rut and have a long streak of victories. Let's not forget that Ogi WOULD have won the million, but only if he had the guts to play the question, even so, he still won $500,000, which is still a lot of money last I checked.

If Millionaire wants to get itself back on track, it DOES need to return to Classic Millionaire, which it is somewhat doing here; but integrate it more with successful things during the syndicated run and add other parts to it that have done well on other editions. Since it's eventually going to happen, I might as well start it and break down my way of doing Millionaire. A hybrid of US and UK:

Q12- $1 MILLION
Q11- $500,000
Q10- $250,000
Q9- $125,000
Q8- $75,000
Q7- $50,000 --SAFE LEVEL--
Q6- $25,000
Q5- $15,000
Q4- $10,000
Q3- $7,000
Q2- $5,000 --SAFE LEVEL--
Q1- $2,000

Lifelines: 50:50; Ask the Audience; Phone a Friend (technically would be "Skype a Friend"; studio could install a cookie to track friends' computer during the taping to make sure the friend doesn't become Google a Friend); Switch the Question would be added before Question 3.

OK, now that that's done and out of the way, I'll let the arguments over the new season continue. I will say this: I'll give the show a chance, but as far as I know, Millionaire as we've known it for over 10 years, is done.

Loogaroo

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2010, 08:11:04 AM »
Maybe this has been addressed earlier in the thread, but: does anyone know how much the recent lawsuit between Celador and Disney influenced all these rule and cosmetic changes?

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2010, 12:52:34 PM »

Lifelines: 50:50; Ask the Audience; Phone a Friend (technically would be "Skype a Friend"; studio could install a cookie to track friends' computer during the taping to make sure the friend doesn't become Google a Friend); Switch the Question would be added before Question 3.
And what would happen if the friend did try to use a search site? The show fills the offending computer with spam, malware, and/or viruses...and maybe even disables the user's anti-virus program/firewall for good measure?

Maybe this has been addressed earlier in the thread, but: does anyone know how much the recent lawsuit between Celador and Disney influenced all these rule and cosmetic changes?
Considering that we only heard about the changes after the lawsuit ruling, I'd put the over/under at 65%. Personally, I take the over.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:49:01 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Ian Wallis

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2010, 02:39:41 PM »
The problem they had with the clock last seasons (despite the kick ass music they had with it) was they were trying to force answers and decisions on players under more pressure than was needed to be, which ultimately led to many walking away in the 2nd tier. During the entire run with the clock, we only saw 3 (iirc) $500,000 questions and only 1 true million dollar question (that stupid tournament doesn't count in my book).

From a production point of view, I can understand why they introduced the clock - but I never liked it.  Part of the fun of the show is playing along at home.  Some of upper-level questions take a few seconds to fully understand.  Before there was a clock, sometimes I might figure out the answer after a minute if it was something I wasn't overly familiar with - and that's what made the game more interesting.   People playing for big money and the drama as to whether they're going to risk it or go home - most of that was taken away.  If they had to introduce a clock, they probably should have made it more reasonable - like a minute for the first two tiers.  Since the show was always heavily edited, they could have not shown the clock on screen which would have allowed them to edit it down much tighter.  Then, show the clock onscreen on the upper-tier questions for more drama.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!