Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting a TPIR episode from Fremantle  (Read 1508 times)

Matt Ottinger

Getting a TPIR episode from Fremantle
« on: August 22, 2010, 09:49:26 PM »
I got an e-mail from a woman trying to track down a 1974 episode of The Price Is Right in which her aunt won a fur coat.  So OK, magic words, "fur coat" and we know GSN didn't air it.  But it's also reasonable to assume that it still exists in the Fremantle archives.  So I'm wondering whether any ambitious souls have actually tried contacting Fremantle about tracking down and acquiring copies of the show, and what your experience might have been.  My assumption, and probably most people's assumption, is that you wouldn't have gotten very far, but I'm curious whether anybody has actually tried.  I'm not looking for a string of opinions about what might be the case, I'm looking for concrete, useful information.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 10:19:49 PM »
The absolute best (and most reasonable) possibility is to have her contact the Price offices directly.  If she is kind and charming enough, there is a possibility that she could persuade them to make arrangements.

I recall being at the office one time and there was a copy of an episode from the 80's laying around.  I asked about it, and there was a nice note attached which was a hand written card to the staff/cast from the contestant who thanked them genuinely for her experience.  The letter was quite moving and it was quite apparent that the contestant was sincere in her comments.  I don't even think she was asking for a copy of her show (I can't recall), but they sent her one.

Then again, this was under "previous management."

I'd recommend a nice letter addressed to Kathy Greco and crossed fingers.  Chances are slim, as it will cost them money to order it.  I wouldn't mention the fur coat, however.  (Perhaps someone on our site could help identify the episode before she writes)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:25:22 PM by ClockGameJohn »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 10:32:40 PM »
Exactly the sort of response I was looking for, John.  Thanks much.  

You'll see that I already cross-posted to G-R in hopes of more information.  She knows the taping date (June 23, 1974) and believes that it aired either on July 9th or 11th.  Her aunt's name is Pat Corral, she played (and won) 'Give or Keep' and went on to win her Showcase (Good Humor Bar, Chanel Perfume, Fur Coat, Opal Car) with a bid of $4200.  It sounds like she'd already made some sort of effort to reach someone at CBS, but I got the impression she didn't know what she was doing.  The fact that she e-mailed ME of all people, given so many more folks who know TPIR ins and outs better than I do, also shows she's sort of grasping at straws here.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 10:48:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'246260\' date=\'Aug 22 2010, 10:32 PM\']You'll see that I already cross-posted to G-R in hopes of more information.  She knows the taping date (June 23, 1974) and believes that it aired either on July 9th or 11th.  Her aunt's name is Pat Corral, she played (and won) 'Give or Keep'[/quote]
Sounds like it should be July 11...July 9 was on the DVD set and was taped on June 17, so that seems to match up (and wow, conveniently, Give or Keep wasn't played the next week, which makes me a lot more confident that this is right).  The other two games should have been Clock Game and Money Game.  If that sounds right to her, tell her to request episode #0974D.