Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Slide it, Earl  (Read 5756 times)

ActualRetailMike

Slide it, Earl
« on: September 03, 2010, 05:24:36 PM »
With Hurricane Earl dusting the easternmost shores of the USA, does anyone remember the catchphrase, "Slide it, Earl"?

The Super Match round of Match Game '7x had four sliding panels: one with the "blank", and the other 3 with the $500, $250, and $100 responses.  Often, especially toward the higher values, Gene Rayburn might say, to the Super Match board "Now let's see the $500 response.  Slide it, Earl!".  Was Earl the pet name of the game board itself?  Or was there actually a stage hand back there with that proper name.  Sometimes Earl would get crazy, making strange sounds and whatnot.

golden-road

Slide it, Earl
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:04:35 PM »
[quote name=\'ActualRetailMike\' post=\'246794\' date=\'Sep 3 2010, 05:24 PM\']With Hurricane Earl dusting the easternmost shores of the USA, does anyone remember the catchphrase, "Slide it, Earl"?

The Super Match round of Match Game '7x had four sliding panels: one with the "blank", and the other 3 with the $500, $250, and $100 responses.  Often, especially toward the higher values, Gene Rayburn might say, to the Super Match board "Now let's see the $500 response.  Slide it, Earl!".  Was Earl the pet name of the game board itself?  Or was there actually a stage hand back there with that proper name.  Sometimes Earl would get crazy, making strange sounds and whatnot.[/quote]

There was indeed a stage hand with that name; he even made an on-camera appearance one time.

whewfan

Slide it, Earl
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 07:55:24 PM »
Sometime in 1978, the stagehand was named Aurie (sp?)

mbclev

Slide it, Earl
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 01:28:27 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'246802\' date=\'Sep 3 2010, 07:55 PM\']Sometime in 1978, the stagehand was named Aurie (sp?)[/quote]

And then, on the MG-HS Hour, before the $1000 Super Match response was revealed, Gene would say, "Slide it, Steve!"

Ian Wallis

Slide it, Earl
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 01:52:06 PM »
There was indeed a stage hand with that name; he even made an on-camera appearance one time.

I think he appeared more than once.  Gene even said to the audience one time "...you thought we had a machine doing that, didn't you?"  Each time Earl appeared it meant he got union scale money for an on-camera appearance.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

DrBear

Slide it, Earl
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 09:07:42 AM »
I remember the appearance; Earl slid in through a side panel in the rotating wall.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.