Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where do you differ from the norm?  (Read 77082 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Where do you differ from the norm?
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2010, 01:36:47 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'247305\' date=\'Sep 11 2010, 11:56 AM\'][quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'247304\' date=\'Sep 11 2010, 12:49 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'247159\' date=\'Sep 8 2010, 06:15 PM\']* That Pat and Vanna have hosted together since the show's 1981 debut on NBC, which is not only at least three kinds of wrong but completely rules out any possibility of other hosts or hostesses.[/quote]
For someone to complain about Wheel's "history" the way you did and not get the dates right yourself...1981? By the way, how do you calculate three different types of wrong?
[/quote]
I had to re-read that quote a few times myself (both when originally made and just now), but I think Dan's referring to Harry Friedman apparently telling Robin Leach that Pat and Vanna have worked together since 1981.

And honestly, it's not the worst error in the world, considering it's only a year off. So Harry missed it by a year, it's not like he's being quizzed on the show's history.
[/quote]
I read it as Wheel's 1981 debut on NBC....which is pretty off. It's just the way he worded it, I presume.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

joker316

« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2010, 06:05:42 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'247292\' date=\'Sep 10 2010, 10:10 PM\']I liked the Pat Finn version of TJW.  It was definitely not the Barry/Cullen game, but I thought Finn TJW was a challenging, hard quiz -- much harder than what I remember from Barry/Cullen.  

JD[/quote]
I must confess, I liked this one myself. My lone peeve about it was there was really no need to call it "The Joker's Wild" because the Joker really wasn't "wild". It only enabled a player to triple the points for 15 seconds, it didn't represent any amount or category. It felt like the producers named it TJW to lure us longtime fans to watch, then hit us with something different.

And I must say this about You Don't Say! I still feel it was one of the better word games on TV; but I will concede that this was true for the original, not the remakes. It seemed when Password took off, the networks clamored for the "next great word game" For the most part, they were all derivative (The Object Is...; Get The Message; etc.). But, to me, YDS! was the next step beyond Password, sort of "phonetic Password".
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

J.R.

« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2010, 06:14:36 PM »
I like the Toss-ups. I think they bring more gameplay and a fine chance to spread the money around.

It's a nice moment when someone's been struggling throughout the game picks up that $3000 toss-up.
-Joe Raygor

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2010, 08:39:40 PM »
Another opinion of mine that probably differs from the norm -- I think Chuck and Susan are miles better than Pat and Vanna.

[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'247311\' date=\'Sep 11 2010, 01:36 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'247305\' date=\'Sep 11 2010, 11:56 AM\'][quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'247304\' date=\'Sep 11 2010, 12:49 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'247159\' date=\'Sep 8 2010, 06:15 PM\']* That Pat and Vanna have hosted together since the show's 1981 debut on NBC, which is not only at least three kinds of wrong but completely rules out any possibility of other hosts or hostesses.[/quote]For someone to complain about Wheel's "history" the way you did and not get the dates right yourself...1981? By the way, how do you calculate three different types of wrong?[/quote]I had to re-read that quote a few times myself (both when originally made and just now), but I think Dan's referring to Harry Friedman apparently telling Robin Leach that Pat and Vanna have worked together since 1981. And honestly, it's not the worst error in the world, considering it's only a year off. So Harry missed it by a year, it's not like he's being quizzed on the show's history.[/quote]I read it as Wheel's 1981 debut on NBC....which is pretty off. It's just the way he worded it, I presume.[/quote]
The article used the exact line I quoted, and yes it claimed the show premiered in 1981 with Pat and Vanna. No Chuck, no Susan. Considering that Leach had behind-the-scenes access for at least that report, it would hence be logical that the show would supply such a statement...even though a few minutes on Google would knock that lie into dust.

What bothers me the most about this is that the show is trying to eradicate its formulative years, during which the show became popular -- if it hadn't been popular, NBC would have very likely canned it.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2010, 11:18:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'247328\' date=\'Sep 11 2010, 07:39 PM\']What bothers me the most about this is that the show is trying to eradicate its formulative years, during which the show became popular -- if it hadn't been popular, NBC would have very likely canned it.[/quote]Here's a shock--I completely disagree.  WoF was on the brink of cancellation on NBC at one point.  The show didn't take off until the syndicated run.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2010, 11:29:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'247328\' date=\'Sep 11 2010, 05:39 PM\']What bothers me the most about this is that the show is trying to eradicate its formulative years, during which the show became popular -- if it hadn't been popular, NBC would have very likely canned it.[/quote]And why wouldn't they? The show is popular NOW. It is no longer 1978. Your viewers are used to seeing Pat&Vanna, not Chuck&Susan.

But hey, you just keep clinging to this thing, don't you.
Travis L. Eberle

MisterBlue

« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2010, 11:50:01 PM »
I thought John Davidson was a great host on "Time Machine."

I will miss Charlie O' Donnell's "25 THOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUSAND DOLLARS!" spiel.

I liked Greed more than Millionaire back in the day.

The Wheel '89 theme is crap, but the '79 HS theme is epic.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 12:23:09 AM by MisterBlue »

dale_grass

« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2010, 04:47:38 PM »
I think Eastwood should have directed more of the series than Sudden Impact.

\Oops, right topic, wrong board.

saussage

« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2010, 08:52:07 PM »
I though that Davidson HS was more watchable than the Marshall HS (most of the time).

I loved the older WOF theme (and even the later incarnations in the late 80's early 90's were better than today's). The one they use today is garbage.

I thought Greed was better than millionaire and I'd love to see new eps but will never happen.

I can't stand watching Jeopardy. Maybe I feel stupid watching it, or get an enormous brain cramp, or fall asleep due to boredom although I love Alex Trebek as a host.

I feel that Canadian made game shows are cheesy and are knockoffs of most American versions of the shows although some original Canadian Made game shows I love (even if some of them feel a bit cheesy) ie: Pitfall, The Joke's on Us.

I never felt there was a reason to make "What's my Line" and "To Tell the Truth". Even if they're not exactly the same, they're too close in gameplay for me to care. Oooh... 3 people to talk to compared to 1 :)

Vanna White is useless although she seems to be a very nice person. Can't turn letters? Give her something to do that's useful for the show.

I thought TPIR was going to be dead and buried soon after Bob Barker left. I never gave Drew Carey a chance.... I may start to watch TPIR again.

I actually love to watch poker games on GSN (although the channel itself seems to suck more than what it was 10-12 years ago when it was gold).

I prefer Liar's club (the newer one) with John Barber than the Allen Ludden era.

I find Todd Newton annoying as host.

Match Game can never be remade.

I hate most reality tv.
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2010, 08:59:32 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' post=\'247657\' date=\'Sep 15 2010, 07:52 PM\']I loved the older WOF theme (and even the later incarnations in the late 80's early 90's were better than today's). The one they use today is garbage.
I find Todd Newton annoying as host.[/quote]How are these different from the norm?

Vanna White is useless although she seems to be a very nice person. Can't turn letters? Give her something to do that's useful for the show.
Not true. I can think of a few people who could find a useful purpose.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

J.R.

« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2010, 09:17:08 PM »
That all seemed more like a laundry list of pet peeves than "against the norm" opinions.

[quote name=\'saussage\' post=\'247657\' date=\'Sep 15 2010, 07:52 PM\']I can't stand watching Jeopardy. Maybe I feel stupid watching it, or get an enormous brain cramp, or fall asleep due to boredom although I love Alex Trebek as a host.[/quote]
Too easy...

[quote name=\'saussage\' post=\'247657\' date=\'Sep 15 2010, 07:52 PM\']I hate most reality tv.[/quote]
I thought bashing all reality shows was cool/popular/hip with the kids, especially if they've never even watched one.
-Joe Raygor

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2010, 09:39:29 PM »
I thought bashing all reality shows was cool/popular/hip with the kids, especially if they've never even watched one.

If you wanna know which are to me the only good Reality shows, it's COPS and AMW.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2010, 10:05:27 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'247664\' date=\'Sep 15 2010, 06:39 PM\']If you wanna know which are to me the only good Reality shows, it's COPS and AMW.[/quote]Those aren't my pants.
Travis L. Eberle

CoreyArcher

• Pick a corner
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
I hate apple pie, Tom Hanks and the omni-present and boring money tree begat by Millionaire.

vexer6

« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2011, 06:57:18 PM »
I didn't think "Set For Life" was totally terrible, it was better then Deal Or No Deal(which is the worst game show of all time, not to mention the most boring) at the very least. I actually enjoyed "It's Your Chance Of A Lifetime" didn't think it was boring at all(it's better then what Millionare has now become, that new shuffle format just dosen't work for me)and was sad when it got cancelled so fast, I thought both "The Chair" and "The Chamber" were interesting enough and wished they lasted longer.  I genuinely enjoyed Donnymid in spite of it's flaws(i'd like to have a few words with whoever thought "Things On A Cave Wall" would be a good category) Never really "got" Jeopardy. Finally, I like the new version of Lingo better then the old.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:45:36 PM by vexer6 »