Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where do you differ from the norm?  (Read 77051 times)

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Where do you differ from the norm?
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2010, 12:38:10 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'246990\' date=\'Sep 6 2010, 02:22 PM\']As much as I hated the fact that a lot of the shows tried way too hard to give away money (21 offering $25,000 then $100,000 for winning a round; Greed's "Million Dollar Moment"), at least they still required you to do some work.[/quote]

Funny you bring 21 into that mention.  It was the other way around; the first ladder started at $100,000, then the later ladder at $25,000.  I remember being particularly perturbed specifically because 21's first 7-figure winner didn't have to do much work; his opponents kept missing questions while using their helps, which meant they picked up two of their three strikes at once.  So they would strike out after two questions and he would win by default.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2010, 02:26:35 PM »
I think "Whew!" is severely overrated. If Randy Amasia hadn't been a contestant on it and therefore hadn't made such a comprehensive site dedicated to it, it would be largely forgotten.

"You Don't Say!" annoys me to no end.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2010, 02:40:09 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'247061\' date=\'Sep 7 2010, 11:26 AM\']If Randy Amasia hadn't been a contestant on it and therefore hadn't made such a comprehensive site dedicated to it, it would be largely forgotten.[/quote]
I truly don't think this to be the case. I was a huge Whew! fan long before I even knew Randy Amasia (or, indeed, the World Wide Web) existed.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2010, 02:54:59 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'247061\' date=\'Sep 7 2010, 11:26 AM\']"You Don't Say!" annoys me to no end.[/quote]

I encountered a similar pain when I was watching the Rhyme and Reason pilot. I was embarrassed for the stars, trying to come up with a plausible poem for this silly game. At least, on YDS, there's more of a game; but I still couldn't help but get annoyed as they rambled on and on in these nearly-not sentences. Sort of like how Go (and Chain Reaction) allowed grammatically incorrect questions because not doing so would make the game harder to play and watch.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

ITSBRY

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2010, 04:10:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'246901\' date=\'Sep 5 2010, 05:22 PM\']Here's one I forgot to mention earlier.  I like TJW '90.[/quote]

I liked TJW 90 as well. The material wasn't as elementary on this version...something that always bothered me about the original. The definition format didn't bother me at all, but I do think adding the categories later in the run made more sense than having the players spin for dollar values.  I also thought Pat Finn was a terrific host. Likable guy who kept the game moving...can't really ask for more than that.

TTD 90 was enjoyable to me as well. Wayne was awful and there were some cheesy elements to it, but the format was pretty solid overall. I kinda dug the theme music too.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2010, 04:23:36 PM »
It appears that I do not differ from the norm.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:24:01 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

GameShowGuru

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2010, 05:21:07 PM »
Let's see, what are mine:

One of my favorite game shows was High Rollers '78, only because I wanted to see what fonts they would use for the numbers that day; I even had my own little nicknames for the fonts when they came up.  Observation: to my memory, it seemed that the most frequently used font on the show was Superstar.

As a kid, I didn't care for Match Game; I just remembered it for the theme song, the spinny box, and the confederate flag set.

Old panel shows (WML, TTTT, IGAS) bored me to death, though recently I've developed a new found respect for TTTT, it's a decent show in its own right.

I think they should bring back The Price is Right in its original format; even without pricing games, it was a very respectable show in its own right and has a solid format on the bidding element alone.  I think that the unusual prizes the contestants bid on helps solidify the format.

I used to get up at 3:30 am every so often to watch Match Game '98 on WGN, I didn't think it was as bad a show as people made it out to be, although I thought the set(s), esp. the Rainbow Brite set was rather hideous.  And the set designer was the same one who did the sets for MG '7x and MG '90.  Go figure.

Jeopardy! '78 I actually liked better than its successor and predecessor; I though its format complimented similar game shows of its era very nicely.  I always thought Final Jeopardy looked out of place to the point that it literally took me years to get used to it as an integral part of the show.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:25:28 PM by GameShowGuru »

GameShowGuru

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2010, 05:23:08 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'247061\' date=\'Sep 7 2010, 02:26 PM\']I think "Whew!" is severely overrated. If Randy Amasia hadn't been a contestant on it and therefore hadn't made such a comprehensive site dedicated to it, it would be largely forgotten.[/quote]

Personally, I vividly remember seeing the show as a kid and I LOVED it thoroughly!  I'm glad Randy did make a page devoted to it so I could reminisce watching the show.

alfonzos

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2010, 06:50:56 PM »
- This century has only produced two classic series for me: 1 vs. 100 and Cash Cab. Weakest Link missed the cut because it became to gimmicky towards the end of its prime time run.

- Supermarket Sweep doesn't appeal anymore.

- Never really liked any incarnation of TJW or TTD.

- Unless I can play along, most game shows don't really interest me.

- A game played for big money doesn't automatically interest me. Increasing the stakes doesn't make the game more interesting either. Example: adding a bonus round to HS didn't make it a better show.

- I'm nostalgic for NBC's three-hour game show block on weekdays even if it did include $otC, which squandered an interesting premise with a dull quiz.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:35:46 PM by alfonzos »
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2010, 06:53:40 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'247077\' date=\'Sep 7 2010, 05:50 PM\']- I'm nostalgic for NBC's three-hour game show block on weekdays even if it did include $otC, which squandered an interesting premise with a dull quiz.[/quote]How would you propose running the show?  And I'm curious as to what made the quiz "dull"...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

J.R.

« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2010, 06:57:10 PM »
alfonzos is seriously the most negative, dour person on this board. Wow.
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2010, 06:58:06 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'247079\' date=\'Sep 7 2010, 03:57 PM\']alfonzos is seriously the most negative, dour person on this board. Wow.[/quote]
What? Clearly I need to redouble my efforts. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2010, 06:59:32 PM »
I don't think it's very nice or very fair to criticize someone like that, considering we are in the "differing from the norm" thread. However, I too, am curious as to how $ale could be described as dull.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 07:00:06 PM by chad1m »

Loogaroo

« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2010, 08:29:39 PM »
My deviations:

- I actually prefer Rafferty's Blockbuster to Cullen's in many ways, not the least of which are the theme song and the format. Something about the 2-on-1 element of the original version struck me as rather odd - how does having the team's path being slightly longer balance out the face that the solo player is outnumbered?

- While I liked the original Joker's Wild front game to TJW '90, the latter's bonus round is better than the former's. If only the prizes weren't so cheap...

- Panel shows, including TTTT, bore the crap out of me. IGAS is the worst - seemed like half the time the show was plodding on aimlessly.

- Syndie 5th Grader is one of the best-constructed games of the past five years. (Not much competition for that, granted, but still.)

- I will never understand why so many people have a soft spot for Supermarket Sweep or Cash Cab. Both are OK. Neither are/were appointment television.

- I would rather 1 vs. 100 still be on XBLA than on GSN. That way I'd still be able to play it.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2010, 08:39:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'247082\' date=\'Sep 7 2010, 05:29 PM\']- I actually prefer Rafferty's Blockbuster to Cullen's in many ways, not the least of which are the theme song and the format. Something about the 2-on-1 element of the original version struck me as rather odd - how does having the team's path being slightly longer balance out the face that the solo player is outnumbered?[/quote] Dunno, but it worked out.

- Syndie 5th Grader is one of the best-constructed games of the past five years. (Not much competition for that, granted, but still.)
I am terribly curious to hear why this is the case, half because I have that much respect for your opinion, and half because I think that the only thing that sets 5th Grader apart is that they're asking easy questions that people get wrong.
Travis L. Eberle